Argroww

Star Trek Online

176 posts in this topic

MMO Land again....not sure if anyone here is likely to have played it, but it's going Free to play soon (or already has), just wondering if anyone here does play it and what they think of it?

Well, i noted in some other thread, that it was at woolworth (out of all places) for like €1.99 with 30 days included in december here. I was tempted, but thought, there is probably a reason, why it´s so cheap.

That is actually a common practice, you "Buy" the client on a CD so you don't have to download it (although may have to download the patches which can take just as long as downloading the client sometimes) and then depending upon the game you'll then needs to subscribe on a monthly basis.

As of 17th of Jan STO will actually be running both a F2P and P2P model....obviously the P2P member get a number of advantages for being paying members, but the F2P member still get all of the core content (quests and such-like).

Generally F2P MMO do not bother with making client CDs available as they get no revenue from this.

I have a lifetime subscription to Star Trek Online. It's the best MMORPG I've played since pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies. I highly recommend it. Even though it's easy to learn it's got a lot of depth to it that will take a long time to master all of the nuances (things like training bridge officers and using and recruiting duty officers). For those who once held a subscription to the game, they have already made it free-to-play for them. For everyone else, that time is coming on Jan. 17th. My account name is Arcainite there and I have 10 characters with 1 empty slot that I may or may not save for when the Romulan playable faction comes out.

It might interest you all to know that Star Trek Online is going free-to-play starting Jan. 16 I believe and I lovingly endorse it. www.startrekonline.com

PS - If you need a free trial of the Star Trek Online game before it goes free-to-play I can provide that for you too, I only need your e-mail to do it.

I was going to wait until the 17th to try STO, but I have some free time coming up over the next few days, and, I realized that if I waited until the 17th, that would be the day the place will be overrun with newbies. So, Arcainte was nice enough to send me the necessary super-secret codes for me to start early. :D I'm in the process now of downloading it onto my 3rd-world computer over my 3rd-world ISP. After two hours of downloading, I'm 20% of the way done. :zzz:

I've read a lot of reviews, watched YouTube tutorials, etc. All seem to agree that game is beautiful. The character generator is jaw-droppingly awesome! There were some early complaints that the quests (i.e. "episodes") were repetitive and boring. However since the game was first released, many more episodes have been created. Plus there is the "Foundry" where you can create your own episodes. So lately, the complaints I'm see is that the explorations episodes (only) are repetitive and boring...but apparently those are where you can ring up the most experience points and come away with the coolest equipment. The only other grumbling I see is about ground combat not being realistic.

But people really like the space combat.

It'll be interesting for me to find out if the hardware that's available to me here in the Philippines will allow me to play the game. :expect: My guess is yes...but we'll find out soon.

Is it Star-Trek-Babies II?

BTW: 4 1/2 hours into the download, and the download is 41% complete. :zzz:

But it's okay, because it's still free! :D

Yeah, ZKrib, it took me something like 8 hours to download the game at 200k, so I'd imagine it'll crawl. But, I have no super-secret codes, so I guess I'll be seeing you in the Alpha Quadrant starting the 17th. I'm pretty excited about this. :eager:

I used to play a game, Star Fleet Battles, based on Star Trek (as well as a couple of other things). Turned based tactical game, filling out energy allocations, moving units on a Hex map, Direct and Indirect fire weapons, Damage Allocation (and a rule book that filled a good size notebook to overflowing). Could take hours to play a fleet combat action game. Then, in the late 90's, they had come out with a version of this game for the computer....turned out to be more of a who had the fastest computer/connection/button skills than any real strategy kind of game. I played it for about a month and got tired of it, as it wasn't the game that I learned. Almost tossed it in the recent move, but who knows, I might pull it out and load it up sometime (likely not, but I really hate throwing things away). Likely destine for some future yard sale...

Sounds like that this might be somewhat similar...

Star Fleet Battles (the board game, anyway) had some interesting ship designs.

Of all things, I'm having registration problems. I had to register to download the game, but then when I tried to play, the game told me I'm not registered. I found a Help page and e-mailed STO. The auto-reply said they'd get back to me within 24 hours. It's been 15.

... I'm pretty excited about this. :eager:

Deranged me. The thing I'm looking forward to most in the "character creation" phase, which is not all that important gamewise, but it looks so cool.

Star Fleet Battles (the board game' date=' anyway) had some interesting ship designs.[/quote']

I loved the Kazinti Ships and I had worked out several good fleet maneuvers for Andromedan ships. Psudo-Fighters kind of unbalanced the game

In the computerized version, the expanding sphere was designed as an anti-fighter weapon. But it became my bane when I was playing the Romulans. I'd be cloaked, so the other ship would pop out an expanding shere and ram me. :(

You could do that with a ESG in the board version, too. It's more of an Anti-Drone weapon, but can be used in other interesting ways. Also good for finding mines and cloaked ships (as you said). Hellbore was a good weapon, too. I never got into the Plasmatic Pulsar Device, as it's great in fleet actions but sucks in single ship duels..

Of all things, I'm having registration problems. I had to register to download the game, but then when I tried to play, the game told me I'm not registered. I found a Help page and e-mailed STO. The auto-reply said they'd get back to me within 24 hours. It's been 15.

It's now been 32 hours, and still no human response for STO.

I downloaded the game for a second time, this time using a different name and a different e-mail account. And the same blessed thing happened. When I tried to log on, STO again claimed I was using an incorrect password. When I tried to reset the password, STO said it has no records of anyone with my email address. :mad:

There seem to be two different ways to log in. Perfect World and Cryptic. I log in using Perfect World. Try changing between the two.

Maybe I was just using the wrong e-mail address. I just tried signing on using my other email address & I got onto the Perfect World site, but I didn't see anyway of playing the game. I also need to switch computers to the one which actually had the game downloaded on it.

Oh yeah, as of 1/2 hour ago, I'm expecting house guests. :mad: I know they'll show up as soon as I get the game going. It's Murphy's Law.

Edit: Still no show by the house guests. :chili:

I used the shortcut icon on my desktop to start my game. I had the choice of which company to sign in using. Since it was a Cryptic game, dopey me, I'd been using that option. So this time I switched to the Perfect World option and voila! Kinda. :huh:

It said that, in order to play, I had to like my Perfect World Account with my Cryptic Account. If I didn't have a Cryptic Account, I would have to create one. Numerous efforts to create a Cryptic Account or link to my failed. :mad: But one bizarre option I had was "do nothing." So I chose that. Presto! I don't know what I did (other than nothing) but it seems to be working. :)

A gigantic patch is now downloading...and is now done. Looks like it's time to "Engage."

Edit2: After hitting the "Engage" button, I was again asked for my account name and password. When I entered them, I was told they were invalid, and to come back on the 17th, when the game will be free. It's already the 17th, not only where I am and where Perfect World is, but also on the east coast of the US, where Cryptic games is. :huh:

Edit3: I just saw a notice saying Cryptic would be down until 10 a.m. on the 17th to install a "patch." I'm guessing that's the free-2-play patch. So I should be able to play after that. Let's see, I'm 11 hours ahead of the U.S. east coast, so 10 a.m. + 11 is 2100 hours, or 9 p.m. Two and a half hours to go. Maybe.

(I sure hope the game is easier than the registration. :faint: )

Edited by Zkribbler

So, let me guess: Approximately 150 minutes after you posted this, your house-guests finally showed up... :D

As a free player I'll get all of the core content (quests and what-not, but am limited on credits, character slots, in-game chat and various other things that shouldn't really affect my enjoyment of the game (assuming I do actually enjoy it!)). I have read though that the KDF character starting level has been upped, it's now level 25 instead of 6.

I'll find out tonight what I think of the game (hopefully)

Maybe I was just using the wrong e-mail address. I just tried signing on using my other email address & I got onto the Perfect World site, but I didn't see anyway of playing the game. I also need to switch computers to the one which actually had the game downloaded on it.

Oh yeah, as of 1/2 hour ago, I'm expecting house guests. :mad: I know they'll show up as soon as I get the game going. It's Murphy's Law.

Edit: Still no show by the house guests. :chili:

I used the shortcut icon on my desktop to start my game. I had the choice of which company to sign in using. Since it was a Cryptic game, dopey me, I'd been using that option. So this time I switched to the Perfect World option and voila! Kinda. :huh:

It said that, in order to play, I had to like my Perfect World Account with my Cryptic Account. If I didn't have a Cryptic Account, I would have to create one. Numerous efforts to create a Cryptic Account or link to my failed. :mad: But one bizarre option I had was "do nothing." So I chose that. Presto! I don't know what I did (other than nothing) but it seems to be working. :)

A gigantic patch is now downloading...and is now done. Looks like it's time to "Engage."

Edit2: After hitting the "Engage" button, I was again asked for my account name and password. When I entered them, I was told they were invalid, and to come back on the 17th, when the game will be free. It's already the 17th, not only where I am and where Perfect World is, but also on the east coast of the US, where Cryptic games is. :huh:

Edit3: I just saw a notice saying Cryptic would be down until 10 a.m. on the 17th to install a "patch." I'm guessing that's the free-2-play patch. So I should be able to play after that. Let's see, I'm 11 hours ahead of the U.S. east coast, so 10 a.m. + 11 is 2100 hours, or 9 p.m. Two and a half hours to go. Maybe.

(I sure hope the game is easier than the registration. :faint: )

It's based on Pacific Time, ZKrib. So, I have to wait till 1pm local time to play. And I have to be at work at 3pm. :mad: I tried so hard to jump on at midnight, only to face frustration. Until I put all the clues together. You'd figure they could tell you when it'd be free in local time! Back to the work thing, I have considered calling out. But, that would probably make my boss mad, as they would make her stay for 14 hours. Happy day playing Star Trek all day and face the wrath of my boss, or go to work with ants in my pants all night? I guess I'll have to go to work. I have tomorrow off, anyway, so I'll have a good 16 or so hours to play. Still :eager: anyway!

Hmm. There's a thread for this in Other Games - mind if I move all this game stuff there?

Downloading, too, right now... you gotta love those FAQs - quote:

Q: Will I need to have to have an internet connection to play Star Trek Online?

A: Yes.

That is a frequently asked question? In a game full of nerds? Seriously?

I guess that shouldn't be a problem. Sorry.