Buster's Uncle

Rescuing the Firaxis AC pages?

36 posts in this topic

http://www.firaxis.com/smac/

...As you can see, it's all gone, now. The leader profiles were priceless, and something ought to be done about it.

I think I have a copy of the homepage somewhere, from when I based my Custom Factions page off of it three years ago. Does anyone have any of the individual pages saved, perchance?

In addition, if someone would dig around and find what could be found in the Wayback Machine and such sources, I bet we could reconstruct any missing profile pages, and I further bet we could talk the bosses into hosting something here at WPC. We can do this. It's a thing worth doing. Who's interested?

...I suck. I must have deleted the HTML document of the homepage once I was done altering it into the beginning of my Custom Factions page.

I'll report back if it turns up later...

I hope you can find it. Some of the stuff was really interesting and helpful.

:nod: Yes it was. :nod:

-I'm buried in projects, and it would be wonderful (and much quicker) if this wasn't left up to just me...

...As you can see' date=' it's all gone, now. [/quote']

Thats really too bad. It would've been nice if someone at Firaxis had thought to ping the SMAC community to let us know, so we could've saved the stuff off.

I do seem to recall though that someone had done a series of articles (or more likely posts) concerning the leaders on the webpage. I think it was Illuminatus/ Jack Hawksmoor over at 'poly. This would've been 2008 timeframe. I can check in at 'poly and see if you like, or maybe Maniac can work his magic again and get a response from Illuminatus/ Jack Hawksmoor?

Also, maybe we could ask one of the people here who have experience dealing with Firaxis to ping them and see if there is any way to recover the material? Other than that I really don't have any ideas.

D

That all sounds great.

+Wayback Machine & internet archives - we should be able to recover the text for sure, which is by far the most important part, and I bet I can replace any missing pictures if I have the basic layout/html pages. I think this is entirely doable.

Given the specific error message (You don't have permission to access /smac/ on this server), the information may still be there, but the right to view it has been removed. I think the same thing happened several years ago. Firaxis restored the rights after it was brought to their attention. Solver may still have contacts in Firaxis, so perhaps he could be enlisted to contact them about the matter.

Skype is having one of its not-working fits, so I'll try -siiiigh- PMing him with a link to this thread...

I found the information about the last time this happened here. Seven years ago? Forgot that it was that long in the past. Anyway, that thread has more information, including some links to 'poly and the old owo site that has some of the content backed up. (I have a complete dump of the owo site stored somewhere on my HD, if needed.) This 'poly thread announces the return of the Firaxis SMAC site, but the links there are odd.

I'm on the Internet Archive copying the faction stuff, such as loaded, now...

Hmmm. I've saved all the faction stuff and I'm working on some of the rest...

I got something like 3/4 of the stuff saved the other night -I'm down to saving stuff like all the wallpapers- but I'm swamped with projects and random events triggering, and haven't had time to get back to this for two days. I haven't forgotten, however.

Solver sux, BTW - if he's done anything, he hasn't told me.

Good job, BU. Your new avatar looks like an elephant if you look at it out of the corner of your eye (or squinting, or when slightly drunk, etc), btw. It's like having two avatars in one.

Yeah, that's where I've been going to save stuff - it's just been insanely busy for days now around here for me, so getting every little thing saved has had to wait. -Also, Solver sux.

I was browsing around the Firaxis website and found an email address for their webmaster. So I shot off an email to request that access to the SMAC pages be restored. Will report if I receive a reply.

I was browsing around the Firaxis website and found an email address for their webmaster. So I shot off an email to request that access to the SMAC pages be restored. Will report if I receive a reply.

any reply, Petek?

any reply, Petek?

Nothing yet. I followup after 30 days, so as not to appear impatient.

I sent a follow-up request yesterday. Haven't heard back yet. I discovered that some of the links, such as

www.firaxis.com/smac/lal.cfm

still work, although the formatting is "off." Is rescuing the Firaxis SMAC pages still an issue? Were the relevant pages saved from the Internet archives?

The WayBackMachine seem to have stored the pages just fine.

Only some links to other sites are inactive.

Ainwood, one of the CFC admins, suggested that I contact Dennis Shirk at Firaxis about this matter. Following is a draft of a message that I composed. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about the message?

Hi Dennis,

Ainwood at CivFanatics suggested that I contact you about the following matter. I hope that you can refer me to someone

in Firaxis who can help.

For many years Firaxis maintained pages at www.firaxis.com/smac that contained information about the game Sid Meier's

Alpha Centauri (SMAC). Attempting to access that page now returns a 403 Forbidden error (You don't have permission to

access /smac/ on this server). Members of the SMAC community believe that the information on that page (and the child

pages) is worthy of being preserved. The error message suggests that the pages are still present, but the permissions

have been removed. If so, could the permissions be restored? I sent two email messages to webmaster@firaxis.com regarding

this matter, but didn't receive a reply.

If the SMAC pages on Firaxis.com can't be restored, would there be an objection if the SMAC community retrieved the pages

from the Internet Archive Wayback Machine (http://archive.org/web/web.php) and posted them on a SMAC fan site?

Regards,

(RL name redacted)

Moderator, Alpha Centauri Forum, CivFanatics