Penry

Terra Incognita - 18 player Pitboss game

282 posts in this topic

6657888895_8c7f0bd9ed_b.jpg

Gentlemen. We have talked about it for quite a while, it came to the simmer when Locutus unveiled Artemis, but was put on the back burner while we got ‘A Call to Arms’ up and running. Then the festivities took our attention away from all things Civ for a few weeks, but the time has come to take a step into the unknown, to strike forth into the wilderness and make homes for our brave people.

The proposition is a simple one. We hand over total creative control to OzzyKP to make a map with no predefined input from us. His only brief is that we want to have a fun and challenging game. I also propose that we play random civs, to make the birth of our civilizations a totally unknown quantity. So, in essence, we will be stepping into the game world with no pre-conceived knowledge of the world, of our civilization or of our destiny. We will live or die by our wits and cunning, with the possibility of some good fortune from lady luck herself....

My aim is to get WPC’s first 18 player pitboss game up and running as soon as possible; to kick off as soon as we can assemble ourselves and Ozzy can paint a masterpiece of a map, and to let the fun begin!

If you're interested, please sign up below so we can shoulder our packs and set of into the unknown.....

Sounds like good idea. I can strongly recommend no tech-trading at all.

I'm in. :) I assume all other settings apart from map and civs to be the standard ones?

Interested but id be against a total ban on tech trades

No brokering is a far better approach I think.

but as the opening post suggests all these details should be unknown to those who set forth on this journey ?

I've been clamouring for a No Rules Pitboss, for some time now. I was considering the possibility of hosting one myself, but if this could be the no rules game Ive been dreaming of, then I would definitely play. If the hosts are interested in this idea, I could post (or PM) a whole outline of what I mean by "No Rules", but the MOST important/ controversial part is No Turnorder. In other words, doublemoves are allowed and everyone playing agrees to that before playing.

This would truly be stepping in to the unknown, going along with the Terra incognita theme :)

Double moves and fast moves makes it a ladder game.

I concede it can be interesting for they who like it, but I don't.

No problems, but if it will be that way, I'll be out.

I'm in.

I'd prefer the "Rhoth Wins" button is checked, but I can live without it. ;)

I'm in. :bounce:

I was thinking of posting about starting an 18 player pitboss - I played one at CFC a few years back and it was great. Very 'epic' in its nature due to the number of players. But since Monsieur Rob started this one... :b:

I am OK with either no tech trading or no tech brokering. My only concern about no tech trading is that it gives a further "leg-up" to financial civs. What I like about it is that it extends the time that military periods are active - in effect - it lengthens the game. OTOH, those civs that do get the military tech advantage can really run roughshod over others before they have a chance to catch up. Brokering somewhat mellows that.

Please don't make the turn timer too long. A turn a day should be the standard. And have your subs ready if you are gone longer.

As to the 'no rules', very interesting idea. I appreciate the reaction against it, but it sure would make life easier, especially in an 18 player game when a big, multi-player war starts. I guess it means that the double move just becomes a standard part of the game, and something players need to be prepared for. Need to think about this for a bit.

Random leaders to go with the unknown map?

And maybe, just for a twist, Rhoth Victory set to random. Just to give the guy a chance, albeit a slim one.

And great name and pic, btw ROB. :b:

Turn timer?

I would prefer No tech brokering rather than no tech trading.

and

I agree with fed...[/fed]

I am definitely interested!

But.............

..........the holiday season is coming (several short trips the coming months) and with 18 players, there are not much subs... I therefore keep myself on the sidelines. And of course will be able to sub if anyone wants to :)

Don't worry about a sub Donald, I'm sure we can work something out, Strudo maybe, or even if it is a far away civ that takes over from you......

Please confirm..... :eager:

On the double moves etc..:

in Destruction of Foes we play with the Honour Rule of no double moves BUT it is not enforced by the game host (so no reloads and such) but by the players themselves

> so in game reaction / posting in the forum

On the committing to the game:

tech trading / or brokering will in my opinion ruin the game.

What works very good is having a larger then normal bonus when you research a tech which other players already have (tested in multiple games and works great (DoF, G&H etc..)

On the committing to the game:

tech trading / or brokering will in my opinion ruin the game.

What works very good is having a larger then normal bonus when you research a tech which other players already have (tested in multiple games and works great (DoF, G&H etc..)

No mods !

I agree with Viking. No mods. Sorry Cal, I understand the proposal, but am not keen on a mod.

Don't worry about a sub Donald, I'm sure we can work something out, Strudo maybe, or even if it is a far away civ that takes over from you......

Please confirm..... :eager:

That would work and I would love to play this :) But don't say I didn't warn ;):p

I'm in!

On the tech-stuff: I don't mind if it's no tech brokering or no tech trading at all. I'll adapt :)

I agree with Viking. No mods. Sorry Cal, I understand the proposal, but am not keen on a mod.

I second this.

Awesome Donald! I'll do a provisional head count in the morning to see how things are going.....

Between grad school and student teaching (yay, career change at 40 years old!) I won't have the time to participate - but will gladly play the role of peanut gallery.

GK sighting! Greetings! Glad to hear you are staying out of trouble. :cute:

I wouldn't say grad school and student teaching is keeping out of trouble, exactly...