Argroww

BTS on Windows 7

29 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm positive that I can find help for this on civfanatics, but as it's been blocked at work I thought I'd check here too (WPC hasn't been blocked.....yet)

I'm in the process of installing Civ 4/BTS on my new laptop (which is almost twice as powerful as my old one....bigger maps YAY!!!!)

However after patching Civ 4 to v 1.74 the game stopped loading, stating that it could find some file.....not too concerned about this as I hope that installing BTS will get round this issue anyway.

But I just wanted to find out if there is anything I should be aware of in regards to getting BTS to work on Windows 7, my previous machine was XP, so after turning on the 3GB switch I generally didn't have too many issues as long as I kept graphics to minimum and didn't play on any map bigger than standard size. I did discover however that trying to run caveman2cosmos on my partners vista laptop would lead to civ4 CTDing...but this was as much to do with the fact that it only had 2GB of memory anyway I think.

So any advice please?

Not that I know of, as my experience has been with XP also...

Make sure that you check out our new Pitboss Server

Have to be honest, haven't done many MP games as I tend to prefer playing on massive mods (like cavemave2cosmos), which in my experience don't work too well with MP games. I find that going back to vanilla BTS is too hard as the game feels empty.....plus I rarely have enough time to spend long on a game where others are relying upon me to be there.

Thanks for the offer though, it is appreciated.

I have Windows 7 and had no problems with the game. I didn't bother patching the regular game. I just installed it and then installed BTS and patched that.

With luck then I'll have the same experience!.....i've been too long without playing a decent game of civ!! (this is after my kids spilled milk on my last laptop!)

I installed it on W7 the other night with no trouble - though the 319 patch for BTS took FOREVER. Hours. I windows keyed my way out after a couple minutes and did something else.

Have to be honest, haven't done many MP games as I tend to prefer playing on massive mods (like cavemave2cosmos), which in my experience don't work too well with MP games. I find that going back to vanilla BTS is too hard as the game feels empty.....plus I rarely have enough time to spend long on a game where others are relying upon me to be there.

Thanks for the offer though, it is appreciated.

Not talking about a Simo MP game, like over at Steam, but more like PBEM, but you have a turn timer, usually about 24 to 48 hours to play your turn and if your last, you can get two turns under your belt and have a while more until the next turn is up...

So plenty of time to play and still have the interesting of MP.

Also, when was the last time that you played BtS?? if before the last of the patches, then there were several changes that might be of interest to you.

Naah, played it after the patches, (which did improve the game)......trouble is I AM one of those MORE is better sort of people......and the Caveman2Cosmos mod certainly adds more.

Still never tried a PBEM game, might be an interesting experience....still gonna miss those improvements though....some of which come the modules that C2C uses rather than the mod itself (additional info on the UI, sentry land/water buttons, to name but a couple)

Installed and confirmed as working last night attempting a run through of C2C (Caveman2Cosmos) with default graphics settings on a Large world.......my previous laptop may have been able to start a game but it wouldn't have lasted long before the system started to slow down, time to see what my new one can do!

check out the BlueMarble Graphics Mod Install, makes the land more organic looking... I din't have the link, but you can likely google it...

Happy me, Civ 4 BTS + Caveman2Cosmos currently running happily on my windows 7 laptop. I've got 4GBs to work with and a decent GFX card for a laptop (I think).

Running with a large map with all graphics options and movies on plus one of the biggest, hungriest mods going for BTS.......I don't expect to get to end-game without some kind of slow-down, but it's still running better than it had on my old laptop :-) (I believe that C2C uses a derivative of the BlueMarble mod....they've even gone a few steps further and made the terrain far more varied)

Does anyone know if Windows 7 generally runs better than XP, I know the extra RAM helps and that fact that the CPU is dual-core, but much difference does the OS make?

It seems a lot more stable than XP was a couple of years in, but I'm still gettin used to the new OS, so I can't be sure.

Yes windows 7 works better than XP better processing of stuff more stable and better direct x its almost like going from 3.1 to xp :)

Does anyone know if Windows 7 generally runs better than XP, I know the extra RAM helps and that fact that the CPU is dual-core, but much difference does the OS make?

IMO 7 does run a lot better then XP. More stability, and more threaded.

I wouldn't say from 3.1 to XP, but definitely from 98(SE) to XP :D

Definately learning that, tried the demo of Shogun 2.....don't really like the game very much, but ir ran very nicely, even the 3D combat part (which my old laptop probably wouldn't have managed).

And nearly a 1000 turns into my C2C game and it's still running well....although there are hints of it starting to slow down, but I expect this to happen eventually.

Recently spotted PC Gamer is offering King Arthur for "free" from steam....might have to get that mag......

So, what IS your new Laptop?? tell us all about it

From what your telling us, it has 4 Gig (memory I'm assuming) with a duel Core Processor. What other goodies are on it/part of it and are they standard or upgrade options?

Oh yes...techie details!

Straight from Ebuyer:

Processor

•Intel Pentium Dual Core P6200 2.13GHz,

•3 MB Cache

Memory

•4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM

•2 x soDIMM slot

Hard Drive

•500GB 5400rpm SATA

Optical Drive

•DVD Writer

Software

•Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

Display

•39.6 cm (15.6-inch), TFT, (HD), LED backlight, glossy,

•Resolution: 1366 x 768 pixel

Graphics

•Intel GMA – Integrated

•DirectX 10 support

Audio

•Support of high-definition audio,

•2x built-in speakers (stereo),

•Built-in digital microphone

Input Devices

•Spill-resistant keyboard with number block

•Number of keyboard keys: 106, Keyboard pitch: 19.8 mm, Keyboard stroke: 1.8 mm

•Touchpad

Networking

•WLAN IEEE 802.11b/g/n

•LAN 10/100/1000 MBit/s

•Bluetooth v2.1

Power Supply

•100 V - 240 V (AC Input)

•50 Hz - 60 Hz

•Li-Ion battery 6-cell, 4400 mAh, 48 Wh

•up to 6 h Battery life

Interfaces

•3 x USB 2.0

•1 x VGA

•1 x HDMI

•1 x Ethernet (RJ-45)

•1 x DC-in

•1 x Audio: line-in / microphone

•1 x Audio: line-out / headphone

•1 x Internal microphones

Expansion

•1 x 4in1 Card Reader (SD /SDHC / MS / MS Pro)

•ExpressCard slots 1 (34/54 mm)

Warranty / Miscellaneous

•1 Year Manufacturer Warranty

•Webcam

I'm pretty please with it and it was a bargain at £299 (considering that only a couple of weeks after ordering it laptops with a lower spec were alomst £100 more expensive!), only downside so far is that the sound is a bit tinny, but generally not a problem for games like Civ 4 :-D

Oh and thanks to your sig E_T I've now become hooked to Girl Genius, brilliant comic (I was only reading OOTS previously)

Oh yes...techie details!

Straight from Ebuyer:

Processor

•Intel Pentium Dual Core P6200 2.13GHz,

•3 MB Cache

Memory

•4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM

•2 x soDIMM slot

Hard Drive

•500GB 5400rpm SATA

Optical Drive

•DVD Writer

Software

•Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

Display

•39.6 cm (15.6-inch), TFT, (HD), LED backlight, glossy,

•Resolution: 1366 x 768 pixel

Graphics

•Intel GMA – Integrated

•DirectX 10 support

Audio

•Support of high-definition audio,

•2x built-in speakers (stereo),

•Built-in digital microphone

Input Devices

•Spill-resistant keyboard with number block

•Number of keyboard keys: 106, Keyboard pitch: 19.8 mm, Keyboard stroke: 1.8 mm

•Touchpad

Networking

•WLAN IEEE 802.11b/g/n

•LAN 10/100/1000 MBit/s

•Bluetooth v2.1

Power Supply

•100 V - 240 V (AC Input)

•50 Hz - 60 Hz

•Li-Ion battery 6-cell, 4400 mAh, 48 Wh

•up to 6 h Battery life

Interfaces

•3 x USB 2.0

•1 x VGA

•1 x HDMI

•1 x Ethernet (RJ-45)

•1 x DC-in

•1 x Audio: line-in / microphone

•1 x Audio: line-out / headphone

•1 x Internal microphones

Expansion

•1 x 4in1 Card Reader (SD /SDHC / MS / MS Pro)

•ExpressCard slots 1 (34/54 mm)

Warranty / Miscellaneous

•1 Year Manufacturer Warranty

•Webcam

I'm pretty please with it and it was a bargain at £299 (considering that only a couple of weeks after ordering it laptops with a lower spec were alomst £100 more expensive!), only downside so far is that the sound is a bit tinny, but generally not a problem for games like Civ 4 :-D

Oh and thanks to your sig E_T I've now become hooked to Girl Genius, brilliant comic (I was only reading OOTS previously)

Sounds like it was a deal.

And the guy who does GG also did the Dragon Magazine "What's New with Phil and Dixie" back in the 80's. You can see them on the same site (blast from the past). There is also a Novelization of Agetha's Adventures available (they have links on their site) that covers up until she and Krosp leave the Castle. I got the e-version though the Baen Webscription site.

It's taking me a while to catch up all the way through, I think I'm not even half-way through the whole story (to date) yet. It's curious when you see where they've changed artist or something....that doesn't happen in OOTS considering that they are all effectively stick figures.

I will admit that I wasn't sure where it was going when I first started reading it, but the more I read, the more hooked I became.

Have you ever tried the Pocalypse comic? I only found it due to playing the flash game of it, but found I didn't enjoy the flow of it due to it being animated, I think I prefer the comic book style of things like Girl Genius and Order of the Stick

Yeah, animation is cool at times, but it's just a shiny thing with no real substance behind it.

UNLESS, there is a good story to go along with it...and updates fairly often and regularly. Would rather have daily, but not possible with some stories/formats (witness Sluggy Freelance). But some still do, Like Schlock Mercenary (see sig for both of these), he's been pounding them out on a 7 day format for years, collecting and publishing coffee table editions and hitting the conventions as well as Worldcon every year (and has been Nominated for those same Hugo's that GG won).

There is one online comic, great story, beautiful premise, great background, interesting characters and has stellar graphics. Too stellar, because your lucky if you get a page a week, if that. That story has legs and can be a very good read, but with it's limitations, the update speed is such that I'll go look for it in about a year, get quickly caught up and forget it again for another year...

There is another one, good too, but only updates ones a week (erfworld), so again, I go to it infrequently. 3 times a week is my Minimum for any recommendation.

ErfWorld I've read, as it started it's life on the OotS website. Quite enjoyed it but it is slow as you say....still i don't get (or make) much time to read the comics, so slow updates are fine for me

Back to the point....

I'm now roughly 2000 turns into my 14000(ish) turn game, the game has slowed down a little, but still very playable, however I've still not explored that much of the map, the Cavemas2Cosmos not only severly limits boats, but it also take a long time to reach boats that can go into ocean tiles and I haven't yet reached the technology that allows me to do this....but then I am also doing this between playing FB games, King Arthur and LOTRO....hence the slow pace (although a game designed to play out over 14000+ turns will take a whilse anyway).

My map is a custom continent map and out of the 7 (what's the default for a large map?) AI players, I had initially met 2 during the phase of the game where all players are "Minor" (for those who haven't used such mods that use it the "Start as Minor" setting means that all players are at war and cannot enter diplomacy until Writing is discovered by both sides), however a succesful capture of a bear and the contrustion of about 10 or so Bear-riders (an early powerful unit) mean that I wiped my 2 land-mass competitors off the map as they either hadn't found any bears, or the AI didn't know how to take advantage of some of the newer units/buildings that Caveman2Cosmos offers (this is quite common to this mod, it usually takes a few versions for the AI to be reprogrammed to unserstand new features better).

Through the wanderings of my Triremes I've now located 2 more AIs, however at this point in the game I have no means of carrying out effective over-seas warfare...plus I haven't fully populated my own landmass yet, still plenty of space to fill with my cities. ANother feature of this mod (may be present in others), the government Civic limits the amount of cities you may build, the default first Civic only allows 3 cities, each cities after that produces 2 unhappiness in every city, making a large empire hard to maintain, my current government civic allows for 15...or 20, cannot remember cities and I've only got 11, so time to expand....if I can stop building things in my bigger cities for long enough.