Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kloreep

WPC Succession Game: post-game discussion

20 posts in this topic

Not that the game is actually over. But it soon will be, and I wanted to start this thread to discuss a couple things without stepping on the end of the game.

#1: The method of playing was pretty much just made up on my whim. The Rounds system seems to me to have worked fairly well, but what do you folks think? Anything that would be better, or parts of the old that could be improved?

#2: Would anyone be interested in starting up another succession game? With the holiday season, and ACtA starting up, I'm thinking we should wait before beginning a new one, but I'd be up for one around the end of December or beginning of January.

If so, what sort of game settings should we have?

Yes, I'll play another.

While purists can say players should not disclose their plan, IMO the way it

was/is done is better; so, nothing to change.

I remember Beta saying at the start of this one finishing up now that we should play on Epic speed. I would like to do an Epic speed succession game one of these days. (Maybe a Large map, with Cyrus, naming all the Great General units after ourselves? :D) But what do you folks think? I know some people hate speeds slower than normal.

New game after Xmas :b:

Epic speed :b:

With only 20 max turns at a time it shouldn't be too boring for those involved. I think this game went to fast - by the time I got my second go, Ancient, Classical and Medieval has passed!

I'll play another, and epic speed is fine. This moved pretty quickly. :b:

With only 20 max turns at a time it shouldn't be too boring for those involved. I think this game went to fast - by the time I got my second go, Ancient, Classical and Medieval has passed!

Noted. With the speed at Epic instead of Normal, keeping it at 20 turns should indeed slow things down. :) Perhaps too much... we should probably do 25 turns for most or even all of the first round, similar to the current game.

Epic would be too slow, what is there a setting between them??

Now that we have a dedicated Pitboss server at our disposal, I could see that opening up some new possibilities for a new form of 'persistent' succession game (Pitboss can be played as a single-player game as well). Just a thought...

Epic would be too slow, what is there a setting between them??

Epic is the setting in between normal and marathon.

Now that we have a dedicated Pitboss server at our disposal, I could see that opening up some new possibilities for a new form of 'persistent' succession game (Pitboss can be played as a single-player game as well). Just a thought...

I wonder if it would be faster for me that way. Let's try one and see how it goes...

Epic is the setting in between normal and marathon.

Was thinking the other way around...

Normal or epic are both very good to me.

As I know nothing of computers: is there a difference playing a single with Pitboss? Can other people follow/see the game?

fed, I think as long as the turn player isn't logged in and playing that anyone could jump in and have a look if we played the next one via pitboss.

E_T: I suppose it might help your performance woes if those are due to the load of AI calcs and such. But, your computer still has to render everything, and it sounds like that might be more the problem.

Personally, I'd be inclined to keep passing a save, that seems just as easy.

I need more Memory, but Rambus sticks aren't cheep, especially when I have to get them in Pairs..

How about something completely different?? Play the Final Frontier Mod (mod 1.71)... From my testing, it's easy to go back and forth between the mod game version and the regular game (so that you can still play your other games). I was looking at the Unmodded version the last few days and it's really neat. Although it defiantely has that "thrown in at last minute" feel to it, the guys over at CFC have stamped out the issues and it would be something different to do.

I'd be interested in a FF succession game. That said, I think I'd like to go ahead with an Epic vanilla BTS game. If you or someone else spearheads a FF game, I'll definitely play in that too. :)

Settings for the vanilla game: I'm still attached to the idea of Large with Cyrus. I'm thinking Monarch difficulty again - that seemed to give our group a decent but not too heavy challenge last time. But, please post what you want. :)

If you play a FF game, make sure it's the mod mod (FF+) version. And do NOT play with raging barbs (Pirates) :UGH!!: Standard Barbs are bad enough. But kind of fun beating up a Pirate Battleship... but the Destroyers are bad...

I'd be interested in a FF succession game. That said, I think I'd like to go ahead with an Epic vanilla BTS game. If you or someone else spearheads a FF game, I'll definitely play in that too. :)

See the {Echo] WPC... in Space [/echo] Thread

Settings for the vanilla game: I'm still attached to the idea of Large with Cyrus. I'm thinking Monarch difficulty again - that seemed to give our group a decent but not too heavy challenge last time. But, please post what you want. :)

Sounds good, won't be able to play for a while, but sounds fine with me.