Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buster's Uncle

The "Finish the Quote" Game

462 posts in this topic

A speech, an essay, a line from a poem, a song lyric, a famous scene/dialogue from a movie or book, (best designate which, absent the :notes: around a lyric), whatever. I think this ought to aim at the pleasure of having someone get it, and fast turnover, not trying to 'stump the band' as we often do in other quiz threads.

I'll go first:

:notes: If it can be twisted/ Youcanbe sure that it will/ 'Cause there ain't nothin' sacred- :notes:

Take it, Zik!

On reflection, this lyric was a terrible quote to begin things with, being as there's only a handful or so of North Carolinians and Texans around who are likely to have ever heard the song, of whom I'm the only one very active in OT ATM. I'm going to go with something better for this room after the following comment/hints and leave it as an alternate for anyone stumped by the current quote in play to win anyway if they're lucky enough to know.

I'd swear I heard the song on a Christian station, though it's not on a religious theme at all. It is sung in a very deep bass that sounds much like Tennessee Ernie Williams (of Sixteen Tons fame), and is in that sort of style.

So. A new one that many of you should know:

We choose to go to the moon! We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do -

Complete the last sentence and give the bit that completes the part so often quoted. If you know this, you know who said it. Mention who.

We choose to go to the moon! We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard. -JFK

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight...

Please finish the quote and give the name of the individual who said it. :)

Crap. Easy, or should be, but I don't know I know the exact wording or how much you want. (Probably up to the line about not ever doing some particular thing, which I do know...)

(Probably up to the line about not ever doing some particular thing' date=' which I do know...)[/quote']

That's as far as I was expecting anyone to go. You don't need to give the entire speech. :p

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight to the last man. We shall never surrender. -Churchill WWII speech.

I'm tentative about "to the last man" or if I'm leaving a bit out...

I'm tentative about "to the last man" or if I'm leaving a bit out...

That bit is incorrect. You're missing a clause.

You are however correct in the quote's conclusion and in attributing the speech to Churchill.

Hint: In-between the part I gave and "we shall never surrender," Churchill mentions three other locales where "we shall fight them."

Mmm. If this wasn't Thanksgiving, someone would have nailed it 30 minutes ago. I don't recall which places.

Mmm. If this wasn't Thanksgiving' date=' someone would have nailed it 30 minutes ago. I don't recall which places.[/quote']

Hint #2: They're all generic places in the same vein as "beaches" and "landing grounds."

Thanksgiving shouldn't pre-empt the Brits from appearing today.

The words aren't coming to me. It's a quote I recognize, but not one I use.

The words aren't coming to me. It's a quote I recognize, but not one I use.

Well I don't use most famous quotes either. I certainly don't walk around saying "We choose to go the moon." :p

BA didn't know either, so I guess I'm not really disqualified if it hits me in time.

Which I doubt.

We Shall fight in our towns and cities or something like that

I wish Churchill would have thrown in lines such as, "we shall fight them in the pubs; we shall fight them in the gambling dens; we shall fight them in the bordellos." Such promises would have certainly increased army recruitment. :bandana:

Here's the answer:

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

- Winston Churchill

Someone else can take a turn.

I say things like "We shall find a way, or...."
Try this one. I'll give the answer tomorrow when I check e-mail if nobody recognizes it.