Penry

Civilization, the MMO.......

18 posts in this topic

XLGames, creators of the currently-in-beta Korean MMO ArcheAge, appear to be recruiting developers, programmers, and designers for a Civilization MMO. It's been known for a couple of months that XLGames would be working with Take Two Interactive to convert one of their products into an MMO, but this is the first official word that Civilization would be getting the MMO treatment.

So the next question is: how will this even work? When I think "MMO," I expect a persistent world with many players in it. This means that a player who starts day 1 should be in the same world as a player who starts day 100. However, it's not really a Civilization game if you can't advance your civ through the ages. How will a Civilization MMO deal with new players starting in the stone age while the vets are building spaceships? Or will new players just hop in at whatever time the world has advanced to and miss out on the prehistoric content?

I guess it's also possible XLGames' MMO could be set in the Civilization universe (also known as "history") and not use Civilization-style gameplay, but that seems like a bit of a cop-out. It's also possible they could just be making a more tradtional Civilization game with support for hundreds of players at once but no persistent world. That could be fun, but it doesn't feel that revolutionary.

Source : Geekology

Thoughts gents?

Time to check that old idea section in The List, me thinks. :D

Thoughts gents?

I am not allowed to use that kind of language here..............

Is there any chance in hell this won't suck donkey balls?

CivWorld == MMO.

CivWorld == sucks.

Therefore

Civ MMO == sucks.

Proven mathematically.

How will a Civilization MMO deal with new players starting in the stone age while the vets are building spaceships?

A science fiction franchise would simply put the powerful in with the weak. This was the basic plot premise of Stargate: SG-1 and it occurred plenty often in Star Trek: TOS as well.

Modern day militaries have to deal with the problem of asymmetric warfare all the time. Look at the USA's difficulties in Iraq and Afghanistan. Despite all the high tech, an Improvised Explosive Device does plenty of damage. Attention span applies just as much to real wars as to players on MMOs. Insurgents know that the USA will eventually tire of war; their strategy is to wait us out.

Colonial era war dealt with asymmetry all the time. That's how the British kept control of the Indian subcontinent with only 60,000 troops. That's how the Zulu overran them at Isandlwana.

There's nothing stopping the MMO developers from solving these problems. It remains to be seen whether they know how.

Welcome to the Playground, Brandon.

That's a very cogent comment you made, with a world of good sense contained. :b: I agree.

Brandon, very good reply, and yes I've seen games that do this too.

However one problem is that Civ has never been good at "evening the odds" when one player strikes out way in front. Civ has always been a traditional "bigger is better" game in that the bigger you are, the more you produce, the more advances you have. This leads to one player dominating totally by mid game and why they brought in domination victory (to avoid the boring "cleanup" phase once that level is achieved).

IMHO...

I'm thinking a Civ MMO would just translate into spearmen vs. tanks on a much larger scale.

New ground would been to be broken, in order to make this work, i guess. The only thing that worries me about this is, that today, new ground is hardly ever broken, and if it´s done, it´s usually done in a half-baked manner that will repell people more than atract them.

What would have to be done, is to make up a system by which you gradually lose some sort of abilities as you progress, and not only gain new ones. Assymetry (while maintaining some sort of balance) can not really emerge on a single dimension.

Bit of a late-comer to this one, but unfortunately "civilisation" MMOs are coming out all the time, in fact it's become a bit a close-war with possibly hundreds (well maybe not quite that many) of different browser based games all claiming to be based upon a civilisation game, but are basically builder wars with armies. You have a town for your buildings, surrounding land for resource prodution and a world map for battling other players or uncontrolled units.

Some of them have unique aspects that in some minor way separate them from the others and some only differ literally in the graphics....ALL of them however suffer from the bigger is better issue, in that a small new player who has only just come out of player protection and may not have made any friends in-game is at the mercy of pretty much any other player who's been playing the game for a while (otherwise known as "farming" I believe).

In fact the only game of this type that I've found that doesn't punish new players is a Facebook game called Mythic Legends, which whilst havign the same premise as the above it doesn't pit you against other players, only AI controlled units on a very static map.....in fact for a FB game it doesn't appear to heavily rely upon you having millions of friends playing it to get anywhere.....it does however some what rely upon you being will to pay RL cash to gain some useful in0game improvement to make your life a bit easier.

Anyhow, my point being that making a Civ MMO is relatively easy, making a decent one......much harder.

The more I think about this, the worse it sounds....

Who do you think the endgame raid bosses would be? :p

IMHO...

I'm thinking a Civ MMO would just translate into spearmen vs. tanks on a much larger scale.

Indeed. But many MMOs that do not have some sort of auto arranged matchmaking have that. Most MMOs players are not always equal. Either it is by gear and level (WoW), skillpoints (Eve Online) or in a Civ case, tech. And... let's face it, many folks get jollies from griefing underpowered players and will pay for that ego boost. It is also the reason I do 4x games. At least if I fail, I can try to learn strategy. Everybody in a MP 4x game is somewhat equal barring horrid start locations. Skill matters. (not saying Eve or WoW needs no skill, but 4x is a bit fairer about it and you can be on equal footing with the big boys from day one without spending forever and a day grinding. Winning against the big boys is another thing entirely.)

Unless..... you were to make a spore like universe with thousands and thousands of planets and do this with an Alpha Centauri sequel instead. You die and you get a new colony pod to another planet. We could also have more type planets than Planet in SMAX or Earthlike. Moons and Mars-like would be game, too. Imagine just reconfiguring each pod on a point buy system starting facilities based on where you start. Now that would be something.

Edited by Green1