Kloreep

[Succession Game] We Pass Civ

372 posts in this topic

For those new to the concept: A succession game is a single player game that is passed around between players. Each player plays for a set number of turns, composing an After Action Report as they play. They post the report after they're done (or as they play, if they prefer), and pass the save on to the next player after the set number of turns.

Each new player can do whatever they'd like with the Civ. The previous player may have been a turtlish builder or an incorrigible warmonger, but that doesn't mean you have to keep our civilization headed that way. Feel free to give the citizens whiplash!

Game Finished. Players:

Kloreep 3

Rhothaerill 4

RobWorham 2

lzprst 3

E_T 4

fed1943 5

Reports

---Round 1---

4000-3000 BC: Kloreep the Early

3000-2000 BC: Rhothaerill

2000-1200 BC: Regal Rob

1200-500 BC: Lord Lezapper

500-200 BC: fed1943

200 BC-125 AD: E_T

---Round 2---

125-700 AD: General Lezurp

700-1050 AD: Rhothaerill

1050-1200 AD: E_T the 2nd

1200-1400 AD: Kloreep the Hostile

1400-1500 AD: fed1943

1500-1560 AD: Rumbustious Rob II

---Round 3---

1560-1665 AD: Rhothaerill

1665-1730 AD: E_T the 3rd

1730-1800 AD: Lord Zapper

1800-1840 AD: fed1943

1840-1876 AD: Kloreep the Pharsical

---Round 4---

1876-1903 AD: E_T the Whatever

1903-1911 AD: fed1943 the Younger

1911-1923 AD: Rhothaerill

---The End---

1923-1928 AD: fed1943

Rules

We will have "rounds." A round is complete once everyone has played once that round. ("Everyone" = all those who have played a set of turns before, and all those who have posted here saying they want to play.) If necessary, I may make a determination that the remaining players seem to be away for a time and we should move on to a new round.

No set player order within a round. Whoever "tags in" first after a save is posted - by posting samething like "I claim the save" - is the next player. However, try not to tag in until you're actually about to play - that way, someone who might be available to play sooner than you won't be stopped from doing so. If someone doesn't post a report & save within 12 hours of tagging in, their claim expires and the save is back up for grabs. You cannot tag in again if you have already played during the current round, you must wait for the next round. So we should see a fairly fast pace at the beginning of each round, but then slowing to a more measured pace at the end of each round, giving time for everyone to review and catch up.

If you're new to the game, feel free to tag in on any save. You don't have to ask permission first, just make sure you follow these rules. :) (Though, if the save is already claimed when you're interested in joining, note that it would be a good idea to post that you want to play in the game. That way we'll know not to go to the next round without you.)

Each player must post a report of their time with the game. No requirements for formatting, though of course you should mention anything important that happened. And pictures are always good. :)

Attach the save after your report. Everyone's welcome to download it and look around, just don't make any moves unless you've tagged in and playing it as our official game. (If you're lurking and want to play your own game off a save - and you're sure you don't want to join us :( - there's of course no harm in doing so, just please don't post about it until the official game is over.)

We're currently playing around 20 turns each. Might reduce it again in future, but I'm imagining 20 will be good for a while. It's okay to go a few turns over the specified amount if there's a landmark turn you want to end on - and feel free to go under the amount as well if you don't want to play 20.

Game Set-up

Map

RandomScriptMap

Standard size, Ancient Era, and Normal speed

Fractal excluded from map types

Everything else random

Settings

Leader/Civilization: Gandhi of India (picked randomly from among the Spiritual leaders)

Monarch difficulty

Random opponents

All victory conditions

Aggressive AI and No Tech Brokering ticked; everything else unticked

-------------------------------

Anyone else interested in a succession game? As long as we can get a few players I say let's go for it. :)

I'm thinking a Religious civ might be nice to play. That would let people mess with the civics all the time without having to worry about anarchy. ;)

Edited by Kloreep

I'm in. :b:

Settings sound good. I'm fine with whatever nation, or random.

:b:

Randomise all! :nod:

I take it you're in too, Rob? :)

Randomize all, eh? You realize we can even randomize map size, or even do a random map script, right? You really want to take it that far? ;)

No, let's not randomize all.

Your idea about religions nation to allow people to play around with the civics is a good idea. I'm behind it, though I don't mind random nations either.

I can always use random.org to pick from among the Spiritual civs at random.

Though if we pick a specific one, I like the look of Mansa Musa or Justinian.

I do kinda like the idea of randomizing the map, though. How about this: RandomScriptMap, set to Standard size, Ancient Era, and Normal speed. I'll exclude Fractal from the generation list, leaving Terra, Hemispheres, Medium_And_Small, Big_And_Small, Archipelago, and Pangaea.

Yup, I'm in and random map script sounds cool and random religious civ equally cool! :nod:

I would be interested as well. How would it be played? Download save, play X turns, send save onwards?

How would it be played? Download save, play X turns, send save onwards?

Yep, pretty much.

I figure we can be a bit loose about order, and only have the next couple players or so planned out, with the main thing being to keep the save moving while getting everyone a round before duplicating someone.

How long to go between turns, I'm not sure. We should probably decrease the duration eventually too. Just what range, though, will probably depend on how many players we have to start with. We have five now, so perhaps fairly short periods would be the way to go. (25 turns to start the first four players off, decreasing to 20 on turn 100?)

Here's what I figure we'll do for save passing:

We will have "rounds." A round is complete once everyone has played once that round. ("Everyone" = all those who have played a set of turns before, and all those who have posted here saying they want to play.) If necessary, I may make a determination that the remaining players seem to be away for a time and we should move on to a new round.

No set player order within a round. Whoever "tags in" first after a save is posted - by posting samething like "I claim the save" - is the next player. However, try not to tag in until you're actually about to play - that way, someone who might be available to play sooner than you won't be stopped from doing so. If someone doesn't post a report & save within 12 hours of tagging in, their claim expires and the save is back up for grabs. You cannot tag in again if you have already played during the current round, you must wait for the next round. So we should see a fairly fast pace at the beginning of each round, but then slowing to a more measured pace at the end of each round, giving time for everyone to review and catch up.

If you're new to the game, feel free to tag in on any save. You don't have to ask permission first, just make sure you follow these rules. :) (Though, if the save is already claimed when you're interested in joining, note that it would be a good idea to post that you want to play in the game. That way we'll know not to go to the next round without you.)

Each player must post a report of their time with the game. No requirements for formatting, though of course you should mention anything important that happened. And pictures are always good. :)

Attach the save after your report. Everyone's welcome to download it and look around, just don't make any moves unless you've tagged in and playing it as our official game. (If you're lurking and want to play your own game off a save - and you're sure you don't want to join us :( - there's of course no harm in doing so, just please don't post about it until the official game is over.)

I'll start us off with the first set of turns when I start the game, which should be in about 12 hours or so. First 4 players, myself included, will play 25 turns each, after that we'll go to 20 turns each. Might reduce it again in future, but I'm imagining 20 will be good for a while.

You the man, Klo! :b:

Our community needs to be trying things and mixing it up to keep the excitement going. I'm rootin' for y'all.

-Also, SMAC(X) RULZ, cIV* DROOLZ!

*except Planetfall - Maniac really did ask me to put that exception in.

Put me into the rotation

??Aggressive AI?? RAGING BARBS!!

If you were asking what Aggressive AI means: It tweaks the AI code to make it more military focused. Aside from building more units, it's also more willing to attack. Basically, without Aggressive AI, the AI may avoid attacking a Civ simply because it really likes them. The Aggressive AI, on the other hand, is programmed to play more like a human: if it thinks it's strategically wise to attack a civ, it will do so at some point, and there's not really any stopping it.

Raging Barbs, eh? I'm up for it if we can get a second or two.

Raging barbs is always interesting in the "death wish" kind of way. ;) You just have to be more defensive minded to start the game. No going light military and keep several lookouts handy.

I was putting out the possible suggestion of Aggressive AI (and your explanation of it was good, too) but might not be wanted in this type of game.

Can we a bit loose on the turn lengths? Sometimes there is a good finishing spot a few turns before or after e.g. wonder finished, religion founded etc, which would make for a better ending to the DAR!

Yeah, sure. :)

I was putting out the possible suggestion of Aggressive AI (and your explanation of it was good, too) but might not be wanted in this type of game.

I included Aggressive AI in the very first version of the OP. :) So unless someone objects (which no one has so far) Aggressive AI will be on.

I've yet to see enthusiasm for Raging Barbs, I have to say...