Metaliturtle

The Elder Scrolls V: SKYRIM

1,290 posts in this topic

:b:

Thanks for the heads up. As you no doubt remember, I'm a fan of magic weak fantasy, so Scarcity sounds right up my alley. I'll look into alchemy too; is there any sort of herbalism in Skyrim, I'm thinking Aragorn and his Kingsfoil type scenario?

Not really.  You can eat all the alchemy ingredients straight if you want, instead of making them into potions, but you only get the first of the four potential effects for each item.  With alchemy and the right ingredients you can get multiple effects at a time.

Still playing around in Skyrim.  Haven't felt a huge desire to go play Imperator yet for some reason.  The posted AARs haven't grabbed me yet, and I haven't been able to get into any LPs either.  But I am enjoying Skyrim.

I played about as far as I wanted to with my vampire character.  I really wanted to try to play up the possession and ghostly stuff for roleplay, but in practice I found myself mostly not using the shouts.  I rarely use shouts anyway.  I was originally picturing shooting an arrow, then hitting the Ethereal Form shout, then repositioning for another shot, but the problem with that is that the AI still knows where you are and keys on you anyway which kind of defeats the purpose.  Plus, I kind of dislike using bows.  I much prefer crossbows for archery, but the bound weapon mod I have doesn't include a bound crossbow.

------------------------------

So the character I'm playing now is one I was considering going with when I was going to play Morrowind (before running into the issues that made me decide to play Skyrim instead):  Arridani Amolyon, a Dunmer priestess of Arkay, the Divine of the life and death cycle.  She is not a mace and robes type of priest though (such as the Vigilants of Stendarr); she is a fire and shock wielding Destruction-focused battle-priest, who is soon going to transition into heavy armor.  I haven't played a Destruction focused build in quite a long time and it's enjoyable.  It's fun to throw fireballs and see the big explosions. :cool:

She also has some roleplay quirks.  As a priest of Arkay she is tasked by her Divine to say a few words over a dead body.  She doesn't hesitate to kill other men and mer if they attack her, as their deaths are then the Will of Arkay, but before she moves on she will crouch by them for a moment or two for their last rites.  Along with that, she flatly refuses to strip the dead, as she believes that to be blasphemous to the Divine that has funeral rites as part of his divine portfolio.  She can take weapons, shields and other items, but no clothing or armor (which has already caused me to pass up some good stuff, but that's fine).  Concurrent to that she will not loot the dead that have not risen again, or any of the burial urns, etc. in the barrows, as those are sacred.  She doesn't have an issue taking stuff from treasure chests in barrows though.

She does however hate all forms of the undead and necromancers.  She is still trying to reconcile Serana though.  For some reason, at least right now, she feels that Serana is different than other vampires, and perhaps has a chance to redeem herself in the eyes of Arkay (and also because she is basically forced on you, no matter whether you are roleplaying a vampire or someone who hates vampires).

I've also been working some other things into this particular game too.  Besides activating Frostfall and Realistic Needs (including such things as regular sleep and food), I've also included some items from an article I read about roleplaying in Skyrim: when you are crafting, don't just sit there and spam crafting.  Making a new cuirass should take some time, not just 2 seconds.  So I use the wait function, to make it as if several hours pass while doing the crafting.  I also have a roleplaying quirk that she can't learn more than one new spell per day, and learning it takes at least 4 hours, depending on the complexity of the spell.  Higher level spells take longer.  So all that combined with the sleep and food & drink requirements from Realistic Needs means I need to plan out my crafting and spell-learning a bit more than normal.  It feels a little more realistic.

So far she has been adventuring with Jenassa, the Dunmer mercenary from Whiterun.  Despite being forced to leave Morrowind (thanks to a background as an assassin with the Morag Tong before becoming a priest of Arkay), she still prefers the company of other Dunmer, though she generally likes Argonians too despite the normal dislike between the two races (her mentor in the faith was an Argonian, and her ceremonial dagger is an Argonian longblade, from a mod I have).  She joined the Dawnguard though and Isran has basically foisted Serana off on her, so she has sadly had to let Jenassa go her own way again.  For some reason Serana took a dislike to Jenassa. 

We'll see where that goes as I'm just about to start the Prophet quest with Serana.  In game terms I'll probably stick with Serana since she is essential and can't die to an accidental stray fireball.  I've had to be careful with Jenassa since I gained the ability to throw more and more fireballs.  It helps that she is Dunmer, with fire resistance, but if she is on her last legs she can still die permanently.  So Serana is strictly better for that reason, as well as being necessary for the plot of the quests I'm currently about to undertake.  But I might eventually go back to Jenassa too.  I don't know yet.

So far I've completed the Main Quest up through the end of the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller, along with Dawnguard up through the start of Prophet.  Side quests have included working the various Divine quests, including any for priests of Arkay in the Halls of the Dead.  I've completed the one for Kynareth, though it glitched a bit.  I was originally planning on not cutting the Eldergleam, as Maurice Jondrelle prefers, but he glitched out and I was forced to cut the tree for the sap since he was no longer there to give a different way.  But then he showed up in Whiterun again when I got back so I thought that was amusing.  Currently working through the Book of Love too.  Plus I also completed Meridia's quest.  As a Dunmer, Arridani doesn't have any issues with "good" Daedra such as Meridia, and Meridia's ideals regarding the destruction of undead are very close to Arkay's own ideals.  Plus Dawnbreaker is a pretty fun sword.  She won't do any of the evil Daedra quests though, beyond starting the two in Markarth.

For the future I'm planning to continue playing through Dawnguard as a member of the Dawnguard, and will probably do a few sidequests for them too, to find Florentius for the sun spells, and to find their artifacts.  I'd also like to get a few more quests that involve killing Draugr in their barrows.  I'm trying to roleplay that she will only go into a barrow if there is word that there are undead in there (such as hearing from Hadvar about Draugr plaguing Bleak Falls Barrow).

As for even farther in the future, if I end up playing that long, I've actually thought about possibly becoming a vampire with her too (and yes, I know I just stopped playing a vampire character, but that was for a different reason).  She rejected Harkon's offer, but there is still the opportunity to gain it from Serana as part of the Soul Cairn quest.  Primarily for roleplaying opportunity though, as the vampire hunter who becomes a tortured vampire too.  She would still be a member of the Dawnguard (thanks to a mod I have that allows it) and hunt vampires, but she would secretly be one too.  And hate herself for it as she has urges that she finds difficult to control.

I haven't fully decided whether or not to do that, since it could be fun too, becoming that which her Divine hates most.  Would she have a crisis of faith?  Would she then do some evil things in the name of hunting evil for her Divine?  Like I said, it could be fun.  I just don't know yet if I will play her for that long or not.

17 hours ago, Rhoth said:

The posted AARs haven't grabbed me yet,

I´m sorry. ;)

Not your fault.  I think it's just the game.

Arridani has now become a full-fledged member of the Dawnguard.  She has been slowly improving her spellcasting abilities in heavy armor, in order to make better use of the Dawnguard heavy armor.  In-game that was mostly because of the various Dawnguard armors I prefer the look of the heavy gray the most.  I could have continued with light armor, since there are light Dawnguard armors, but I wanted to switch.  So she is now a classic battlemage archetype as much as a priest, wielding destruction spells and occasionally her Dawnguard axe (or Dawnbreaker), while wearing heavy armor and a college hood.

Though she misses the companionship of fellow Dunmer Jenassa, she is slowly starting to accept the company of the vampire Serana in the fight against Serana's father.  Serana's instincts to visit the College of Winterhold to try to find a Moth Priest were correct (I could have found the info elsewhere, but I needed to visit the college anyway for the adept level healing spells, since no one else sells them).  Though Arridani accepts the college as a repository of knowledge, she has no real desire to study there.  Her gifts of fire and lightning come directly from Arkay.

While heading to the College, she also passed through Windhelm, the capital of Ulfric's domain, and visited the Gray Quarter, where a sizable contingent of Dunmer have settled after fleeing Morrowind.   It depresses her to see the proud Dunmer forced to subject themselves to the Nord racism.  She wishes she could do something, but she is not sure there is anything that could be done, so she will continue following the more obvious Will of Arkay in hunting vampires and draugr.  And yes I know I could join the Civil War on the side of the Imperials and oust Ulfric, but that is my least favorite questline.  And it doesn't really change the Gray Quarter anyway.

So now Arridani is heading west again, toward Dragon's Bridge to find the Moth Priest, though she intends to take care of a few other little quests issued by the Dawnguard on the way, including finding a crossbow schematic in Redoran's Retreat, as well as helping the last of the lovers for Mara's quest.   On the way back east she intends to stop in Falkreath too, to finally meet the Jarl who had summoned her, as well as go to Ilinalta's Deep to recover the lost artifact of Azura (she will take it to Azura's priestess though, not the elf in Winterhold, as he turns it into the Black Star.  She has no problem with white souls since they are animals and other lesser beings, but capturing a black soul is against the Will of Arkay).

A great list Rhoth and surprisingly not as much overlap as I expected. I guess we're playing different versions which will probably see more divergence from Oldrim as time goes on.

When I have more time I'll do a proper list. 

Unfortunately I've hit the same bug I've had the last couple of games where it crashes on saving. Really annoying as I'm about 20 hours in (again) and not added any extra mods for some time. There seems to be a lot of people with the same issue and no real idea what causes it. General theory seems to be that its too many scripts/mods/esp/esm - take your pick. I also found a load of threads about strings which seems to be related to SKSE hitting some sort of limit.

Really frustrating and the answer seems to be start again with less mods or less SKSE mods anyway. Not sure I can face that for a while especially as I'm making the start extra tough for myself. Much more fun though. Even though I was level 17 I was still pretty much in the Whiterun/Riverwood area and chopping firewood.

As you note above one of the challenges with Mages is a lot of there spells harm party members and I spend most of time being killed in one blow by bears, wolves, mudcrabs - pretty much anything.

One mod I would like to find though is something that reduces or even turns off experience for Smithing. Far too much of my experience came from turning shoes and clothes into other items in an attempt to make cash but the side effect of levelling up what felt too quickly.

Meanwhile I shall sit back and follow the adventures of Arridani....

I've had a little bit more trouble with CTDs this time than when I last played.  Nothing has changes in my setup so I'm not certain why, but I have noticed it more this time than I remember before.  It's not a consistent CTD either.   I can play for a while just fine, then all of a sudden I'll activate a smelter (for example) and it will crash, but activating the smelter the three times before in that same hour of play didn't cause a problem.  I also have the occasional time where the game won't exit from a loading screen.  It doesn't crash, just doesn't continue on, and when I reload it will load into the area I was headed into, not my previous autosave.  Still, overall the issues are minor, unlike yours.

Bears are a pain in the ass.  Especially when a snow bear (the most powerful kind) and its six kids all come at me with dogged determination and are just as fast or faster than my character.  Still not as bad as Dramans though (think humanoid creatures with the HP of dragons mixed with the speed of Mercer Frey).  Those things can kill a 300hp character in 3 claw swipes, even with 250 points of armor.  Both the Dramans and multiple spawns of normal creatures are part of the Immersive Creatures mod I have active.  You have to be much more careful in the wilderness as you can quite easily run into a creature, or more likely multiple creatures, who can wipe the floor with you on harder difficulties, something that is not as common in vanilla.

I don't know if you have the same smithing mod I have, but IIRC you can turn off all experience gains from the tanning rack as one of the toggles.

As for Arridani, after returning to Fort Dawnguard with the Moth Priest she and Serana set out to complete a few Dawnguard missions around Riften, including rescuing Florentius Baenius from the clutches of an evil witch who dominated a large group of poor Vigilants of Stendarr (those guys can't catch a break).  Florentius was able to teach her more Sun-based spells for battling the hated undead (a sun cloak and an AOE sun-based fireball).  Arridani still sometimes forgets to use those though as she is really into the satisfyingly happy sound of an exploding fireball.

After rescuing Florentius, the two traveled westward again, first to her adopted home in Nilheim, then on a circuitous route through Falkreath to find Azura's Star and discretely kill a vampire masquerading as a bard in Riverwood, before heading back to Winterhold to return the Star to Azura and then gain advice on the Elder Scrolls.  She was directed northward across the frozen expanse of the Sea of Ghosts (luckily across heavy ice which allowed her to avoid having to swim in the freezing water) to the outpost of a crazy old mage who directed her to the Dwemer ruin of Alftand.

At Alftand she and Serana fought a gigantic mechanical dragon created by the Dwemer (more from the Immersive Creatures mod) before descending into Alftand for days of battling Dwemer traps and spiders, and nasty Falmer, before ultimately descending even farther down into the massive cavern of Blackreach to find the Elder Scroll.  She and Serana just returned to the surface via the Mzark lift (which is where I left off).

Sigh...another Creation Club update which appears to have broken the SKSE. This was annoying in Fallout 4 which at least you could argue was vaguely recent (well compared to Skyrim).

I was going to try a few different things to see if I could get past my save problems but now I need to install SKSE again and remember to turn off updates. Really makes me not want to buy the next game from Bethesda.

Found the SKSE update. Remembered how to install and set off again...

Even though I'm playing with various economy mods that make working for a living practical I've skipped my usual dozen hours plus around Riverwood hunting and farming on the grounds it will probably break. 

Pleasantly surprised to still be playing at level 40 without too many crashes. I removed a lot of mods that had scripts. Some such as Hagen Reborn never seemed to work anyway and others I decided to live without. The main different though is I stopped using 'quick saves'. Seems to have made all the difference. I'm now further on in the main quest than I've ever got before - rescuing the old man in the sewers in Rifkind.   The downside is that I'm far too over powered so taking the opportunity to see parts of the world I've never seen despite several hundred hours play. Paused on the Dragon Born quest and now I'm off to join the Legion.

Sitting home due to the Corona curfew and enjoying another wave of Skyrim play, this time with Skyrim SE.

Started out a character on Legendary, that's a whole new experience. So far I raised difficulty only later, after level 20 or so, when the game got too easy. This time I turned it to max right from the start. Dishing out only 25% normal damage, but receiving 300% on yourself is hard to take for a low level character. More than one bandit on you? Run or you'll be killed. A pack of wolves? Not a chance! Not to think of bears or sabercats who will pretty much one-shot you.

I'm building an archer character, who can both sneak and fight in the open. Keeping your enemies at a distance is very important for obvious reasons. Got the bound bow for now and the ability to cast it (173 magicka with 25 conjuration at the start, otherwise >180). She's a Breton, which boosts conjuration as a boon, but her sneaking and archery start at a pitiful 15. Main skills are archery (obviously), sneaking and alchemy for potions (fortify marksman for instance or resistances) and poisons (paralysis, frenzy, lingering damage health and later weakness to xxx when I can make a good enchanted bow).

Markable quests I started so far:

- The Book of Love, more or less thinking of dragons here, which I didn't trigger yet

- Blood on the Ice for the Necro amulet, could have skipped this since I never used it as right when I got it, my level was 9 and I could summon the bow without it

- Dark Brotherhood, only for the armor, don't intend to continue it

- Cidhna Mine, siding with Malacath but betraying him at the end to get both rewards; the Old Gods bracers are pretty good for an archer while the DB one is useless (I don't even have a 1H weapon).

- Cleared some basic dungeons, like Embershard Mine and White River Watch. Working on Halted Stream Camp now.

I named her Maria Barring after the archer girl from the Witcher books, a.k.a. Milva (Witcher 3 Gwent has her card too).

I triggered dragons at level 33, after training and equipping her well. On the way up to High Hrothgar I managed to defeat 2 snowbears and after that 2 snowtrolls simultaneously without any problem (and without sneaking). Think she's pretty OP even at legendary. Later I visited Autumnwatch tower (Mark for Death) and Shearpoint (just for a dragon soul). I killed the frost dragon there with about ten arrows and after that I had a standing duel with the dragon priest Krosis. He shot fireballs from his staff nonstop as always, I was shooting with my bow. But my fire resistance is almost 98% while his ward doesn't help against arrows at all. So the mask is mine, although it's already pretty useless for me.

Her crafting skills are high, although far from the maximum. Smithing is only in the sixties, alchemy and enchanting 80-ish. Using dwarven bows for now and scaled armor. Still far from the armor cap (350-ish with the Lord Stone), but to hit me they need to get to me first, and my main bow has a fear enchantment. The only serious danger are archers, which are primary targets for that reason. She still has weaknesses, e.g. against poisons. Chauruses will kill her if they get close.

Next operation is getting glass armor and smithing high enough to make and improve it to the armor cap. Then I need some resist poison equipment and after that she will be pretty much invincible, if she moves not too carelessly.

Next project is a similar character, but with a no-faction-rule. No Thieves Guild, no joining Dark Brotherhood (but I can destroy it!), no Companions. And no College of Winterhold. So, no easily early gained gear. No stealing (widely defined: stealing is taking what's marked as "steal", not harvesting Elves Ear in the house of people I helped). Still thinking about Survival Mode and not using the Bound Bow (could be problematic if magicka drops due to tiredness). Should be quite a challenge at legendary. I'll be playing with some QoL-mods like Convenient Horses and Field Alchemy, both fit into the roleplay as well.

Hey Skirnir, been a while.

I had a Skyrim itch a bit ago too.  Played a few different characters on SE, heavily modded, now that I have a new computer (the old couldn't handle as much).  I really like the Ordinator perks mod, and that modder has a whole bunch of other stuff too like a religion mod that gives extra bonuses and such for roleplaying.

My first new character was a devotee of Kynareth and eventually became blessed enough to be able to summon a saber cat mount, pretty much the fastest mount you can have.  She joined the Companions and once she was able to finally rid herself of lycanthropy she finished the main quest.

Second character completed the Dark Brotherhood (as a devotee of Sithis).

Third (and for now final) character was an Imperial soldier and devotee of Stendarr who joined the Imperial side of the Civil War.  During the war she heard that the Hall of the Vigilant was destroyed by vampires, so as soon as Ulfric was put down she joined the Dawnguard to fight them.  I still need to finish the run for the character.  Was almost to the end of the Dawnguard questline, but by then I was starting to get tired of the game for a bit.

None of them started on Legendary, but all of them have ended up there. 

BTW, most of us have migrated to the WPC Discord channel.  If you're interested in heaving over let one of us know and we'll send you an invite.

On 6/5/2020 at 8:10 PM, Rhoth said:

Hey Skirnir, been a while.

[SNIP]

BTW, most of us have migrated to the WPC Discord channel.  If you're interested in heaving over let one of us know and we'll send you an invite.

You (and anyone else) can join us over at our WPC Discord server at https://discord.gg/8KjuJzS