Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

Metaliturtle

The Elder Scrolls V: SKYRIM

1,265 posts in this topic

Although the new trend is Free-to-Play, meaning if you want to have a chance to win, you have to go to the MMO's store and buy the necessary equipment, using real money. It's that kind of "free."

I'm ok with people being able to real money the best stuff to bypass the 'work' needed to obtain it freely. If it's a system where stuff is only available to the paid folks, I won't bother. Though Skyrim could get real bad with the micro-transaction thing...

I'm playing Skyrim again. This time I started a sneaky and evil woodelf girl, to do all the dark side quests I didn't do with my good to neutral characters so far (thief guild and dark brotherhood). As mentioned earlier in this thread, I tried not to advance the main quest over the mandantory part ("Unbound"). I haven't been in Whiterun after Helgen, not even in Riverwood. I just sprinted down to grab the thief stone, ran up to Helgen again and right away to Riften. It wasn't easy to get there in one piece as a level 2, as it's pretty far and I didn't have much potions yet for bandits, thieves and scores of wolves, but I made it.

Since I avoided the Western Watchtower incident, there hasn't been a single dragon attack so far. I don't know if that will keep up in the future, so far I don't see why not. I cound google it, but I prefer to make my own experience. If my assumption is right and there will be no dragons, it would put my Dragonborn character in the funny situation, that he saves Skyrim from a problem it wouldn't have without him. ;)

Right now (level 9) I'm doing Bleak Falls Barrow, not for the main quest but for the shopkeeper. I need some levels under my belt, my thief guild quests are getting harder and harder. I may even join the College for some conjuration. I will avoid tradeskills except alchemy, and this time I'll put points into pickpocket and speech as well.

I was just thinking about Skyrim last night. I was planning on waiting for the DLC but dunno if that will happen. Reading your post Skirnir didn't help me want to put it off. ;)

I cleared Embershard mine yesterday after Bleak Falls Barrow. There's the key for Hunter's Cabin, a simple yet convenient home outside of Riverwood (you have to load the mod for it). Suits me well, roleplay-wise, I don't really want to start any Thane quest to obtain another house. A bed and a permanent chest is all I need. Oh, and an alchemy table, which isn't in the hut, but not far in the inn of Riverwood.

I never played around with the alchemy. Actually in general I ignored potions except for healing ones. Are there some good craftable ones?

I like your idea to go off and not do the story-line stuff. When I do go back I might do the same. I ended up not doing a lot of the quests in the more far-flung cities and think that going off and doing those isn't a bad way of playing .

There are quite some useful potions around. The obvious healing and regeneration, elemental protection, cure disease, invisibility, to name only a few. But as sneaky thief and assassin my concern this time are poisons. I practically have no experience with them, but the difference lowly frostbite spider venom makes already now (level 11) lets me hope that they'll be a help.

There are quite some useful potions around. The obvious healing and regeneration, elemental protection, cure disease, invisibility, to name only a few. But as sneaky thief and assassin my concern this time are poisons. I practically have no experience with them, but the difference lowly frostbite spider venom makes already now (level 11) lets me hope that they'll be a help.

Ah, loved crafting poisons. Other than the annoying re-apply every time you shoot an arrow thing, they do come in quite handy, but it'll take you some levels in alchemy (or a cheat by looking up recipes) before you can top the handy frostbite venom, reliably. And they never completely compete with a good backstab. But, poisoned arrows were my assassin's go-to on most the bigger foes/those I couldn't sneak up on.

I think I'll wait for DLC before I get back into Skyrim. I completed all the trophies to 100% so it felt like I'd "finished" the game, so to speak.

I never really messed around with poisons very much when I was playing (except the occasional paralysis poison for hard-to-kill enemies), or potions really. Even when I was playing an assassin I preferred a good backstab to a poison. Really though, potions and poisons are not in my normal playstyle. I like things that I don't have to replace. This is across all games, such as Final Fantasy, etc. If it was consumable I tended to hold on to it and use something that was an every-time thing. Sword-strikes, regenerating magic points, etc.

Maybe next time I'll really mess around with them though.

Oh and mini spoiler about the dragons:

you won't see any dragons if you don't complete the first dragon quest

Good thing to know in that spoiler - might make me start over...

And i am just like you rhoth, when it comes to consumables. Or like this stashing guy in that video, posted earlier. OTOH, it did pay off one time or another, to have a crazy amount of diverse stuff in my pockets - just in case - when that case occured, e.g. an enemy, i had to be creative (or materiel-battling) against.

In 2-3 more weeks, I am done with grad school and I can finally load up this game. :D

(got it for X-Mas and haven't even opened it as I know what I time sink I will make of it)

It was worth the wait GK. It's a damn good game.

Ya, I am sure it is.

I am looking forward to the MMO when it comes out. From what I have heard, it is in late alpha stage now.

Yes, looking awesome.

My elf girl hit level 18 (soon 19), and still no dragon. I think now it's secure to say there won't be any. However, there's still farmers walking and saying "There are dragons about, traveller". Lies.

I'm halfway through the Thieves Guild and College questlines and just started Dark Brotherhood. I think I'll get her vampirism, too. And a lesbian marriage. The men I could marry are all losers.

I dropped my plans to raise conjuration (for summoning tanks and distractions) and better bolster illusion, since it blends well with vampirism. I didn't blow perks yet, so it's a decision still in time.

Level 30 now, and College and Thieves Guild questlines before the finishing stage. Dark Brotherhood lagging a bit, but catching up. Got Mehrunes' Razor yesterday. I think I'll go for the Oblivion Walker achievement with this character. She's evil to the bone anyway.

I haven't got vampirism yet, I think I postpone this plan a bit, until the main questlines are done. I'm also considering cannibalism for her. Is there anything more evil than to drink someone's blood first, then murder him in cold blood and feast on his innards?

I have to be careful not to live out those phantasies in real life. ;)

Eh, cannibalism is considered a sign of respect in some cultures. Honestly, wouldn't mind that method of disposing of my remains at all.

I decided to abandon the bosmer girl. She was evil, but not evil enough, doing college and thieves guild with no kills and honor stuff in the quest.

So I made a dunmer outlaw. He's a vampire from very early in the game, and also got Namiras Ring as soon as I got to Markarth, making him a cannibal. His only faction is the Dark Brotherhood. Dunmer are great vampires, since they compensate a serious drawback of vampirism, the increasing fire vulnerability, with their racial +50% fire protection. So as vampire in stage 1 (just drank blood), I should have -25% fire, +25% cold protection, but in fact I have even +25% fire, +25% cold. The only thing that makes me laugh are the continuous remarks, that my skin is pale as death. As dunmer, get it? :p Seems to work, since with Lord Stone and a potion he didn't have a problem against the fireball hurling dremora in Azura's Star and near Mehrunes' Dagons Shrine.

As vampire you have some problems in the sunlight, which shows especially, if you refuse to travel fast, as I still do. Makes it somewhat challenging during daylight (5am to 7pm), because a pack of bandits can get you in serious trouble. The answers are food (vegetable soup), regeneration potions (every little bit helps) and - cannibalism!

Cannibalism is a nice boon for a vampire, since in sunlight you don't regenerate health, stamina and magicka. But if you just had some bandit bits, you do, at least for health and stamina. Not to mention that it raises your reduced in the sun stats back. Since bandits, thieves and wandering mages are plenty, you can have this up pretty much permanently.

Roleplay-wise he's a monster because nobody loves him. The Imperials wanted to behead him, the Stormcloaks resent him for his skin color and the Thalmor hate everyone who isn't one of them. So he joined the Dark Brotherhood, the only faction, that at least appreciates his skills.

Speaking of which - his skills trained with perks are Sneak, One-Handed, Archery, Light Armor, Alchemy and Illusion, in order of importance. Later, when I have perks to spare, I may add other schools of magic, like Enchantment and perhaps Destruction. I raise all 3 stats in an even way, health, stamina, magicka and rinse, repeat. I may even join the College for short, because I need the Gauldur amulet part from Saarthal, which gives 30 to all 3.

Later I plan to de-populate Skyrim. I will destroy all families, killing and cannibalizing all husbands and use their wives as source to satiate my vampiric thirst. I may even let my vampirism go to stage 4 (killed on sight by all except my faction) and live in the wilderness, completely savage. I don't know yet if this is viable, because I need someone to sell my stuff to. May be the Khajit caravans can help here, hope they don't kill me on sight, too.

Edited by Skírnir

She was evil, but not evil enough

That's the spirit!

That's the spirit!

:lol:

I'm slowly working on another stealth build, of a sort, though this one uses more archery and magic and less backstabs. I've never tried a character that focuses mostly on archery since I don't aim well in games, but I'm actually doing okay with it so far.

I'm still thinking about building my death knight character...a vampire that dresses in head to toe armor (including the Masque of Clavicus Vile since it has perfect flavor for looks) and uses necromancy and shouts that mimic some of the "classic" death knight abilities. I never really got around to it last time. Maybe I'll work on both at the same time to satisfy my lusts for both. :D

A vampire in heavy armor? That's challenging. You need to be good in stealth and reasonable in lockpicking to break into homes at night. 2am to 5am works best, you can only feed on sleepers. Muffle is probably your friend inside, but you also have to make sure no guard sees you breaking in. Best bet is probably to feed on farmers outside walled cities.

No I mean creating a different character than the archer; one with the death knight flavor. Not sure that stealth really goes hand in hand with him, though supposedly the death knights move silently, but the fear and fury spells certainly do so he can benefit from illusion. The marked for death shout also works well for flavor, along with ice spells (cold touch). I'm thinking using maces and getting the mace of molag bal too.

The more I think about it the more I think I'll wait on the death knight until Dawnguard comes out on the PS3. It would be a good concept for Dawnguard since the expansion is focused on vampires anyway. Though maybe I'll do some "set-up work" for it (the starting thing, and get a few necessary items like the Masque of Clavicus Vile (and becoming a vampire).

So I started my death knight a while back (using a Dunmer)...and accidentally saved over my archer. :( Oh well. Not very far into the game yet, but I did something I've never done before. I went a different way and didn't even go to Riverwood or progress to going to Whiterun and letting the dragons out. In-character I took Ralof to heart and went a different way, to Falkreath. I almost never spent time in Falkreath in past games, beyond doing the two daedric quests that start there, so I figured I'd get to know it better. I've been working on the various mini-quests available, wandering around the area, becoming thane, etc. while building up my levels to be able to start the Masque of Clavicus Vile quest.

The build is currently one-hand mace and one-hand casting, concentrating on destruction and conjuration (raise dead) so far. I'll eventually use illusion too, but I haven't been anywhere else but Falkreath yet so I haven't been able to buy better spells other than the one spell the Falkreath merchant offered (which was raise dead). I haven't done any crafting beyond upgrading my weapons and armor to fine status.

I've been taking notes about what he has done so far. Contemplating doing some in-character journal writing, but I haven't decided if I'll definitely do it or not.

Hmm, the more I read about Dawnguard the more I'm tempted to make a few different types of characters to explore both parts of the expansion (the Dawnguard and the vampires). Contemplating a heavy armor and sword "priest" character of Arkay, devoted to hunting undead. He'd of course join the Dawnguard and use crossbows, etc., but I also think I want to use him to try out the new werewolf perks so I'd start out with the companion questline for him until Dawnguard comes out.

And then I'd work with a more stealthy vampire type to eventually do the vampire lord part of the expansion. As Skirnir predicted my heavy armor wearing stealth build isn't working too well. Even though I'm in stealth mode a lot and improving the skill, because of the heavy armor I'm not sneaking up on anyone very well and don't have many stealth kills. Plus using a mace just doesn't have as many cool animations. The stealth bow build was doing well before I accidentally overwrote it so I may create another one.

I think with both of them I'll avoid Riverwood. My priest will head to Falkreath for a while (as the "holy land" of Arkay) while the stealth character will head off to Riften and Windhelm for the thief and dark brotherhood stuff.

Dawnguard... is that already out for PC or coming out? How is it I'm just now hearing about it? :hmmm: