Metaliturtle

The Elder Scrolls V: SKYRIM

1,290 posts in this topic

Just bought it for my PS3. Right now it's unplayable, you start out in handcuffs and can't move. Going to try a restart and see if I just hit a glitchy spot or what, otherwise I can wait for patches.

So far it looks pretty :b:

$60.00 was too much for one pretty snow scene :q:

I'll try to post more impressions if I can get it working today (I was planning on a lost weekend, now I'm sorta just sitting around, I may have to go outside :scared:)

If it was the nineties, i´d guess, you have given the wrong answer in the copy-protection quiz. ;P

Ok, so I reloaded and played through the intro section and saved my game. Now I'm in the go-anywhere-you-damn-well-please section, which I'm guessing is the bulk of the game :b:

They borrowed a lot from Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. :b:

I was actually scared by a surprise enemy (it's been years since that's happened to me playing a video game) :b:

Bandits carry better loot than in Oblivion. :b:

I wish I had purchased it for PC, my PS3 keeps freezing now. :q:

Hmm, that's a bummer since I was planning on purchasing it (or receiving it as a Christmas present) for PS3 as my computer can't handle the specs for it. Hopefully by then they will have fixed the problems.

Let us know if it gets better please. :expect:

Oh I'm going to keep playing, saving a lot more though, esp after battles.

Just Purchased it off steam whilst listening to the live polycast

I might see if my lappy can run it... or go buy a new graphics card... or just get another machine, I'm almost divorced, I can drop 4k on sick machinery right?

As you are a Free Man I believe you can now do whatever the xxxx you want to so Enjoy it whilst you can ;)

I wish I could justify it with a cool part-time job playing games or something. I'll go explore my local electronics repository this eve.

So other than the freezing issues, what is your impression of the game?

I haven't followed the build-up for the game at all because I hadn't heard that it was available for the PS3 until a few days ago. What kinds of things did they pull from Oblivion/ Fallout, etc.? I'm hoping they went with a leveling system similar to Fallout rather than the Oblivion system.

It's a fun game, had a near game-breaker freeze with my spells but since I play a sneaky sniper guy it was all good.

I'm really enjoying blacksmithing and cooking in the game, two things I didn't expect to find.

Leveling is a hybrid between Fallout 3 and Oblivion I would say, but I've been trying to not level up because it seems to be a winning strategy in other Bethesda games.

I did play for like 9 hours, which is a great sign.

oh it's 4 am... I've played longer than 9 hours.

It's a fun game, had a near game-breaker freeze with my spells but since I play a sneaky sniper guy it was all good.

I'm really enjoying blacksmithing and cooking in the game, two things I didn't expect to find.

Leveling is a hybrid between Fallout 3 and Oblivion I would say, but I've been trying to not level up because it seems to be a winning strategy in other Bethesda games.

The leveling system in Oblivion was my least favorite part of the game. I just didn't want to have to hold off on a quest to try to grind out acrobatics (for example) just so I can get that last +5 when I level. I found a mod that fixed that, but if I get the PS3 version of Skyrim that means no fan mods. Can't afford a new computer just to play Skyrim either. :(

I did play for like 9 hours, which is a great sign.

oh it's 4 am... I've played longer than 9 hours.

Heh, that's a good sign. ;)

Rhoth, don't avoid it based on the leveling system, it doesn't seem as broken or gamey as previous Bethesda games, and now that my character is level 7 it would seem I may have been better off leveling up sooner, but we'll see. I might actually RTFM on this one soon.

Other things I noticed:

I can carry a lot more weight :b:

Wood-Elf Archer-Thief-Mage-of-Doom is a little nerfed :q:

I don't want to spoiler certain parts, but I will say this again and more emphatically, I don't get scared by video games when I play them ever, and playing Skyrim has several times immersed me so much that I have a physical reaction to what's happening in the game.

Oh and to spring off my money thread in the OT, let me introduce my 'entertainment value per dollar' theory.

A typical American will spend $22 on a two-hour movie that they like (once in theater and once to buy dvd) when I've done this I tend to watch it 3 more times at home, which works out to a little over $5 per hour entertainment value.

Right now Syrim is at $4.28 per entertainment hour for me. :b::b::b::b::b::b::b:

I wasn't planning on letting the leveling system deter me. ;)

I always liked the dark elf thief/mage/flirting with vampirism but still basically good character :D I like flawed good characters. I seem to have a problem playing the totally evil character. I didn't much care for the assassin's quest line in Oblivion and stopped that character and ultimately made another before finishing the game. I've also lost interest in playing the evil type character in games like KOTOR, though in that you get more "evil points" for being a bully/jerk than truly evil.

And yeah I tend to get a lot of entertainment value per dollar out of many of the books and games that I purchase too. Consider that right now I'm replaying Final Fantasy XII, which I already probably spent 140 hours plus on several years ago (had to restart because I moved while halfway through and lost the save card), and have currently spent about 60 on this playthrough. That is 200 hours (plus probably another 40-50 before I finish) for a $50 purchase. :D

ok so you can level unlimitedly, but the enemies will scale up with your level. You get the chance to level up every time you increase skill 5 times so 5 increases in one or 1 increase in 5 different ones. You don't have to level up right away, but when you do the first 50 level ups let you specialize in the different skills (like a CIV tech tree a little bit, I like the system) so you really do need to specialize your character to be successful but you can be decent at any skill just from normal use.

Im Stuck after killing everything on the way the bleak flaws quest as me

Cant figure out how or where to find the DragonStone have you got that yet?

If so can you help?

I'm guessing that's the main quest. Right now I am going through the companions storyline

As far as i can make out so far, going on a wide range of comments on those playing the game(you just have to ignore the review sites these days for big releases), the 360 version seems to have the least issues(but still some), the PS3 version seems to have more widespread issues like Metaliturtle mentions(freezing etc) and the PC version seems to be a poorly optimized port, with all the UI issues etc of that.

I'd always get a TES game on PC myself, as you just know in the end the free mods will fix the game well, but for now i'm happy to wait and busy myself with watching other people play it. This is a decent 'lets play' series with some long video's to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RydarGames#p/c/EDA7075F7BA33BD8

NOTE: That will obviously contain some kind of spoiler info, so if you are worried about that don't watch any of the 'lets play' type vids :yes:

Other than the odd Graphics Bug Cant say Ive noticed anything wrong with the PC Version after 6 hous of playtime

Caved and downloading it now from Steam. And on my fantabulous Aussie internet connection will take around 6 hours. Won't be playing till tomorrow night.

Probably, even with the inflated prices you'll pay as an Aussie(like we europeans pay compared the usa guys), you'll get your money's worth. I hear the main quest is like 3-4 hours long(!), but there are lots and lots of side quests and just stuff you bump into - 60hours is what i've seen the early adopters say they have gotten out of a single character, before wanting to start over. So yeah, pleanty of bang for your buck, even though i think it tight of Steam to make non usa subscribers pay more :q:

I'm probably not going to get this as you need Steam(i wasn't sure on that), but maybe at a later date that dependancy will get removed? Whatever - i still got so much to do in my Massively Modded Morrowind(watching the let's play Skyrim vids has made me want to get back into that monster!) i probably don't need Skyrim.

Speaking of Morrowind, it has been great to see Skyrim using some of Morrowinds mods as inspiration for features they have added(compared to Oblivion)...ha having said that i can't think of those right now, but last night after watching about 3 hours of let's play Skyrim vids i was picking up a few neat additions to default TES :b:

Steam doesn't bug me. It's one of the more harmless DRM's.

Played a bit tonight. Completed a couple quests now, seen the Jarl and his wizard, and started on the companions path.

The graphics are very well done. Haven't seen any of the glitches that have been reported with the PC version.