Petek

Scenario Repository

118 posts in this topic

bdanv dashed this off to get me started:

"announcing the altera centauri scenario collection

WPC is pround to announce the completion of the SMAC/SMAX scenarios repository project.

for the first time since the game release, smac players will have a comprehensive collection of scenarios published on different sites during this period.

the collection is already available here:.. and will be updated as necessary.

CFC has already mirrored our thread. the other Civ sites are in the process of doing the same thing.

many thanks to all the scenario authors as well as to all the contributors which made this project possible:.. "

Thoughts?

How about:

Announcing the SMAC scenario compilation project known as Altera Centauri. This project was initiated as a tribute to the great game called SMAC (aka Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri), and is a community-wide endevour to collect all of the fan-produced scenarios into one location. With the completion of the first phase of this project (aka the initial release), weplayciv is proud to announce the repository is online and ready for use. weplayciv is also encouraging other SMAC sites to mirror this effort, and to date Civfanatics has already agreed to host this compilation."

I really like the comment "for the first time since the game release, smac players will have a comprehensive collection of scenarios published on different sites during this period.", however I'm having a hard time jimmying it in at present.

Also, the more buzzwords we can cram into this statement, the more google hits we'll get, so keep that in mind as well.

So hack away at the above, and if you can get bdanv's comment incorporated as well, that would be great! :b:

D

Edited by Darsnan

This is plenty to get me going, and as a point of pride, I'll make it AP Stylebook-consistant, too. Expect something today or tommorrow - would you like me to run it past you here, or just take initiative, when I think it's ready?

Take the initiative if you want. :b:

Off-topic: just tried to recruit someone off the AC FB page to WPC, so if someone new shows up in the Skunkworks I want credit! :doitnow!:

D

I also had a thought if we could get the thought that this effort is "a gift from SMAC'ers past and present, to those yet to come". Sorta sends a shiver down my spine when I think of it in that context, especially in light of individuals such as Chaos Theory who are no longer with us.

D

attachment.php?attachmentid=11229&d=1322853390

For the first time since 1999, fans of Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire have a comprehensive collection of nearly 100 scenarios, available at We Play Civ.

Working from an idea by Petek, the repository project was spearheaded by Darsnan, who calls it “A repository of SMAC scenarios (i.e. sort of a one-stop shopping for SMAC scenarios), as currently people have to look hard to find a lot of the really good ones.”

Named in honor of Illuminatus/Jack Hawksmoor, the project aims to foster inter-forum cooperation; compiled from fan-generated scenarios on multiple forums, hosted in multiple places, it should be available to SMAC(X) fans for a long time to come. It has already been mirrored at CFC.

Expansion of the collection is planned as new scenarios become available. It is “a gift from SMAC'ers past and present, to those yet to come,” Darsnan said.

The scenarios are also gradually being added to WPC’s Altera Centari Downloads folder.

:b:

you can go ahead and post it.

Oh, I already did; posting here to see how it looked and hitting the Promote to Article button bottom left was the easiest way to do it.

Edits are no trouble, should suggestions be forthcoming. Should I have characterized Illuminatus and "SMAC(X) Moderator Emeritus" - or something like that?

just add thank you line at the end: Illuminatus for the graphics, scenario creators for their work and Darsnan for making it.

BTW? My gradual posting to Downloads has a steady follower - every scenario except the one I posted minutes ago has at least one download - I notice the same in the thread.

The March Challenge on page two of the development thread is almost certainly SMAX, while you have it listed as unknown. Googlie says he started it as a head-to-head with Spartans v. Cult.

Don't forget to add Roze to the index.

The March Challenge on page two of the development thread is almost certainly SMAX' date=' while you have it listed as unknown. Googlie says he started it as a head-to-head with Spartans v. Cult.

Don't forget to add Roze to the index.

OK, those two items are updated. Do you want me to add the current Challenges to the repository now, or leave them as exclusive domain for WPC currently?

D

The GotM's? Dunno; that's really bdanv's call, as our leader; I just do the heavy lifting around here. I'd guess maybe leave this year's GotMs exclusive until the end of this year, though.

I'd guess maybe leave this year's GotMs exclusive until the end of this year' date=' though.[/quote']

I agree.

D