Petek

Scenario Repository

118 posts in this topic

In this thread Darsnan reminded me of a suggestion to create a single location for SMACX scenarios. To get the ball rolling, here's what I found with Google.

CGN scenarios

fileplanet (The title of the page says maps, but the links appear to point to scenarios.)

civ.org.pl scenarios

Scenarios on Dreifel's SMACX site

'poly also has a listing of scenarios, but almost none of the links work. Darsnan and Chaos Theory posted scenarios directly in the 'poly threads, so we'll have to find those manually.

I couldn't find any scenarios on CFC.

Can that be right?

You mean the lack of scenarios on CFC? A search of the SMAC forum didn't find any, nor are there any in the Downloads area. There's Kilkakon's Lost Eden mod, but I don't regard that as a scenario. Do we want to also look for mods?

I believe that's definitely part of the idea, yes.

Have I never posted a complete custom faction there?

So, is anyone else working on this? Any progress reports?

I'm sorta busy with recruiting and general moderator stuff, but I'd be happy to at least advise/help anyone who wanted to dig around WPC. I think I know roughly where all the bodies are buried...

So' date=' is anyone else working on this? Any progress reports? [/quote']

I'll volunteer as an emissary to CGN to discuss this with them and see if they have any interest in helping/ providing feedback to make it better. Hopefully it will be a sort of "breaking the bread" experience with them, and we can go from there. :)

Does that sound like a good plan?

D

I love it. Good man. :b:

vyeh will doubtless want to post it in parallel, and I'd rather WPC hogged the repository, but this is one of those jobs you want him, even more than anyone else, pitching in on. :b: We need his tireless attention to detail on the case if we can get it. Tell him I said so.

OK, thread posted at CGN looking for assistance on this project. Now we wait.

D

Coo.

Anyone want to try at 'poly? It's YOUR community folks, and YOU will profit.

Just checked CGN: 18 hits, but no replies.

D

It's been quiet there lately - surely that's all.

Is my cheerleader act getting shopworn yet? :wrygrin:

OK, so here's my first crack at the format for the Scenario Repository:

For building the Repository, all the files will be placed into one thread. Each entry in the thread will contain one attached scenario along with the following information:

Scenario Name

SMAC or SMAX

Author and date of original posting

Original Host Site

A paragraph or so relating anything the author posted regarding the scenario.

Once we've scavenged all the scenarios from the various sites we then contact each of the sites, and they can then upload them to their sites in whatever format is best for each individual site.

Whad'ya think? What am I missing?

Also, we need to come up with a better name that "Scenario Repository" (PeteK you really need to work on your marketing skills there!). Any thoughts on this?

D

Edited by Darsnan

Scenarios Citadel?

Do we want to include a pic where there is one, as with most of the GotMs? Or do we want more consistency to be fair to the older ones? How do we order these? Chronologically of alphabetically?

Would some sort of rating be a good idea? How about a "Recommended" on the best ones?

What about other non-scenario mod goodies? Throw in the odd custom faction, terrain texture, etc., or collect those at the same time and put in a parallel thing?

Is something bigger than a scenario, like SNAC, included here, or in the parallel thing?

We definitely want to cast our net wider than just the scenarios...

Edited by Buster's Uncle

What about other non-scenario mod goodies? Throw in the odd custom faction' date=' terrain texture, etc., or collect those at the same time and put in a parallel thing?

Is something bigger than a scenario, like SNAC, included here, or in the parallel thing?

We definitely want to cast our net wider..[/quote']

Thinking from the perspective of the end user (i.e. someone who's searching for a scenario, mod, art, etc.) then I think we keep each item seperate for ease of browsing. Also, by taking a serial approach to this project (i.e. we tackle one item at a time), then we can apply lessons learned from the first item in the queue (Scenarios) and apply it to whatever we decide to tackle next. As far as ordering, adding a note, or anything else is concerned, why no, I don't envision doing that (I'm not loading up every single scenario and getting a feel for what the flavor is, nor do I expect anyone else to do that). If someone in the future wants to tackle that, then have at it! :b:

Stopped by CGN again today: the thread is up to 34 hits, but as of yet no replies. If I don't get any replies by next weekend then I'll PM buster and see what his thoughts are on this.

D

Okay, sounds great. :b:

I sumit, however, that anyone searching old posts ought ot go ahead and keep a list any links to any other kind of modding to save time in the future.

Scenarios Citadel?

The attached pic is some artwork that Illuminatus/ Jack Hawksmoor did when he was putting together the SMAC/X Community here. The name (Altera Centauri) is catchy, and I think it encompasses the idea well in that Scenarios were always presenting an alternative to the original game. It would also be a good olive branch towards Illuminatus/ Jack Hawksmoor. Any thoughts on this idea?

D

smac2teaser.jpg

I like the idea, I've always loved that art, and JH is sorely missed. He is a wellspring of talent, wit, and energy. It says a lot of the right things about what the project is.

Full marks.:b:

I like the name (Altera Centauri), the graphic and the idea to work first with scenarios to perfect the process.

OK, I've posted the graphic and an update at CGN. Still no replies, but we're up to 50 hits.

Has anyone gone to 'poly to post about this project?

D

..Any thoughts on this idea?

D

:b:

Just checked. There's nothing at 'poly.

And we're up to 70 hits @ CGN, but no replies there, either.

Lotta people hoping someone else will step up' date=' I guess.[/quote']

Yup, I guess.

I've taken the lead at CGN. I don't think it would be too hard for someone to copy what I've posted at CGN and paste it at 'poly. Isn't anyone interested in doing just that little bit?

D

OK, got a reply from vyeh ( I sense the subtle hand of PeteK at work here :b: ), and he is willing to facilitate hosting a copy of the Repository at CGN. I've replied at CGN and asked if he has any input regarding the construction phase of this project (i.e. how we are going about gathering the scenarios from the various sites). I'll let you know what his thoughts are.

So now we have at least two sites on board with this project. @ PeteK: do you think this is something CFC would want to host as well?

D