Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Metaliturtle

2011 NFL Thread!

605 posts in this topic

I know a few people on here follow the glorious gridiron game, and the Packers are playing their first pre-season game tonight. Let's talk some football, who do you like, who do you not like? I'm going to be talking a lot about the Packers now that I'm singler and can devote more time to my team.

Tonight against the Browns I'm following a few players.

Ryan Grant vs. James Starks - Personally I hope Starks wins this battle, after Grant's injury last season, he just seems like an old back to me now.

Shaky Smithson - He's a long-shot to make the team, and he has an awesome name, I want him to run a kick back and earn a spot on the squad.

Frank Zombo - Great website (zombo.com) although I know it's probably not his website. Also he's one of coach Kevin Greene's favorite players in the Linebacker corps. He's fighting for the starting OLB slot opposite Clay "the bloodline" Matthews III.

I'm also going to try and follow San Diego this season since I've never followed an AFC team before and I think Rivers has the talent to make the Chargers a dominant team for a while.

What teams/players do you follow?

Been a Dolphins fan since I can remember (my son is also born on Dan Marino's birthday!), however after the first quarter performance against Atlanta Friday night (down 17-0, with Henne throwing back to back picks) why I might be more inclined to be scouting the colleges this season for who is going to be the top pick next April! :( To top it off we start the season with the first Monday night game against New England - not good!

D

Heh, Darsnan I kind of feel the same way about my 49ers (fan since about 1983 or so, when I first started understanding the game). They were manhandled by New Orleans, especially the offensive line. My only hope is that they can get better. Jim Harbaugh outright said he wasn't expecting to be blitzed 80% of the game in a first preseason game. Hopefully they'll take that thrashing and get better.

There is kind of an unwritten rule that says you don't blitz a ton in preseason to give everyone a chance to evaluate talent, but it sounds like that didn't happen for the 9ers. New Orleans is who the Packers play for the season opener and I think they'll have another solid club this year.

Any threats (or future threats?) on either squat, dolphins or 9ers?

Actually I'm kind of happy it happened. No it wasn't fun to watch, but it was a preseason game, not one that counts. Now they know that they need to work harder on pass protection and blitz pickups. I'd rather see them figure that out now than in game 1 of the regular season. :)

I'm excited about a couple of the rookies on the 49ers this year, Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick. Smith looked pretty good both on working his way to the QB and on run stopping (his perceived weakness as a pass rusher). Kaepernick certainly wasn't perfect out there as QB, but he did look good in spots, better than Alex Smith looked. He had a couple of really nice throws to go along with some not so nice stuff. He could be a really good QB for them down the road after he has had some time. He looks to be in the mold of Steve Young.

There is kind of an unwritten rule that says you don't blitz a ton in preseason to give everyone a chance to evaluate talent, but it sounds like that didn't happen for the 9ers. New Orleans is who the Packers play for the season opener and I think they'll have another solid club this year.

Any threats (or future threats?) on either squat, dolphins or 9ers?

There USED to be that rule. A LOT of teams no longer abide by it. I would have figured a little leeway this year with the whole no minicamp/hardly any practice situation...

The browns kept it about 50/50 when the 2s and 3s were in, it was all class for the first 2-3 series' though.

Detroit actually looked good......

And when was the last time that could be said without snickering? ;) I didn't watch the game, but from the bits I saw last year they looked remarkably better. Getting rid of Matt Millen and his hand-picked coaches has certainly paid dividends for them.

The last time Detroit went 4-0 preseason they went 0-16 regular season :p

Detroit actually looked good......

Detroit was a better team than there record last year. I look forward to them beating the Bears twice this year ;)

And hopefully we won't have any cheesy ref calls messing up games like last year (ie Calvin Johnson...............)

I think Detroit's going to be a tough team this year, I know Mike McCarthy has them circled on the calendar, especially after the loss last year.

I think Detroit's going to be a tough team this year, I know Mike McCarthy has them circled on the calendar, especially after the loss last year.

It still amazes me how the Pack were two completely different teams last year.

Pre-Rodgers concussion and post Rodgers concussion. In November I had pretty much written off the season to injuries.

And I got to see the start of roll against the Giants, it was a beautifull thing to watch. Probably the best 6 games of football I have seen in a long time. And I kept hoping for that NFC Championship against Da Bears, what a fantastic way to go to the Superbowl. After the game we called up my brother in law who is a big Bears fan and started singing him the Chicago Bears Fight Song on the phone. He hung up on us :lol:

Glad they got the T formation in there... Also I've been pronouncing the S in Illinois for so long now as a joke to tease friends from Illinois that I read it as Illy-Noise and had a giggle fit.

Typical thuggish Raiders fans:

A man wearing a "F- the 49ers" T-shirt was shot outside Candlestick Park shortly after the end of Saturday night's preseason game between the Raiders and 49ers, a police sergeant said.

He was taken to San Francisco General Hospital, where his condition was called critical as of 10 p.m. Saturday.

Police detained a suspect shortly after the shooting: a man wearing Raiders apparel who was found on a party bus in an RV section of the parking lot, according to San Francisco police Sgt. Frank Harrell, who spoke to reporters outside the stadium.

A second shooting victim was found near Pole V in the parking lot, Harrell said, and had superficial wounds to his face. He was listed in stable condition at S.F. General.

The victim in critical condition appeared to have been shot two to four times in the stomach, according to Harrell. He was discovered when he drove a pickup truck to the Gate A parking lot entrance and stumbled out of the truck. It was not clear if he got into the truck before or after he was shot.

Police believe all three men attended the game. Harrell said the two victims appeared to be middle-aged Latino men. A separate police statement said the man in critical condition was 24 and the other was in his 20s.

The two victims were found separately and any link between them, or between either of them and the suspect, had not been established.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1VdhFyAjc

I'm viewing the 49ers message board right now and apparently there were several fights that went on, including some Raiders fans in a group going around looking to pick fights. I'm not saying all 49ers fans are saints since it takes two to tango, but this kind of stuff seems to happen much more often when the Raiders are around.

Sorry UnO, I'm not trying to blast you since I know you are a Raiders fan and there are plenty of good people who like the Raiders (my grandmother is a Raiders fan too), but the ratio of thugs to good fans is a lot higher in Raider Nation from what I've seen.

Edited by Rhoth

Typical thuggish Raiders fans:

I'm viewing the 49ers message board right now and apparently there were several fights that went on, including some Raiders fans in a group going around looking to pick fights. I'm not saying all 49ers fans are saints since it takes two to tango, but this kind of stuff seems to happen much more often when the Raiders are around.

Sorry UnO, I'm not trying to blast you since I know you are a Raiders fan and there are plenty of good people who like the Raiders (my grandmother is a Raiders fan too), but the ratio of thugs to good fans is a lot higher in Raider Nation from what I've seen.

Yeah, I see a fight between niners fans raider fans broke up on Youtube as well.

Personally, I think it's a California thing. Never had problems in Ogden at sports bars, with my gear. (HEAVY population of Raiderfans in Ogden.) There's that whole baseball brawl deal as well. Something about California seems to make people insane. ;)

I'm betting there's quite a bit of history behind this one. The 2 shootings are thought to be related, no word on who the first one was (which team fan of), but I'll lay odds that second (the critical condition) was retaliation.

I love how the Dolphins PR people are saying how crisp, comfortable and efficient Henne was Friday night running the offense. Of course they fail to mention that this was against the worst team in the league! :shame:

On a brighter note the Bills looked absolutely pathetic last night! :bb:

D

Lions didn't win, but they at least came off as respectible for a change.

Something about California seems to make people insane. ;)

:p

I'm betting there's quite a bit of history behind this one. The 2 shootings are thought to be related, no word on who the first one was (which team fan of), but I'll lay odds that second (the critical condition) was retaliation.

Well I certainly don't know the whole story, but from what I've read on the (admittedly biased) 49ers website, Raiders fans were trying to pick fights all night. The shooting certainly could have been retaliation, but so far the only suspect that I've heard about was a Raiders fan.

Packers won W000! Our rookie RB promises to be a beast, if only he could learn how to throw a block or two.

Sherrod was a disappointment at LG, he'd do much better at T IMHO.

Rodgers, Driver, Finley, Jennings, all looking solid.

Brandian Ross is my long-shot player to make the team, he got an interception which won the game :b: , also gave up the biggest play of the game :q:.

I don't follow the packers, but why on earth would you think someone would be better at a more difficult position?

I think he was drafted as a tackle and played the position in college. I could be wrong of course. Not too often you see someone who doesn't look good as a guard and then plays at a high level as a tackle though. Usually you only hear about the other happening (Robert Gallery being the most recent of the high profile types).

I don't follow the packers, but why on earth would you think someone would be better at a more difficult position?

I believe its more a matter of where is the need.