GrandpaTroll

Indie games-Just what is all this I keep hearing about?

164 posts in this topic

Im an absolute ignoramus puss about this subject, other than having been told it is short for Independant Gamers (I hope thats correct?)

If anyone knows details, please divulge them while in meantime I will do some research on the matter!

We must do some detective work to uncover what all the rage is about:DD

I played a lot of freecol and I played freeciv once... I play lots of dicewars too.

Thats pretty addictive

I enjoyed the castle Crush very much

I got 8 or 9 castles before breaking

Got to Castle 19

I keep collapseing the castle around the King and building him, in essence, a bunker to be protected by with rubble:idiot:

Up to 20, problem is I gotta learn how NOT build a bunker around those I would conquer:oops:

I shall overcome slowly

Very addictive game indeed!:expect:

Glad you found a good game from the blog!

Im an absolute ignoramus puss about this subject, other than having been told it is short for Independant Gamers (I hope thats correct?)

If anyone knows details, please divulge them while in meantime I will do some research on the matter!

We must do some detective work to uncover what all the rage is about:DD

Well the first problem you may have is over the exact definition of what being an Indie is.

If you go to Indiegamer developer forums or TIGsource forums you will see many indies trying to work it out! So if they, the indies themselves don't know for sure who does!!

But in my view as a would be indie developer myself, I say the important aspect is to be self-funding(either with or without money!). That enables you to make all the decisions over what your game will be like.

Some 'Indies' ceed control to a third party(and i think console Indie games would fall under this catergory), another group outside the development base, whom can have a veto effect on design decisions etc. This i term pseudo-indie, as the whole point of being an indie developer is to keep your independance, wether for design or marketing etc.

Any developer who draws a salary from a big publisher isn't what can be termed an indie developer. AAA PC and console games traditionaly come from the non-indie development platform.

Recently the term Indie game has come into a wider public focus with games like Braid making a big splash on the Xbox360 via it's live XBLA service.

Typicaly these types of games that are proving popular on console are made by guys who normaly make games without a publishing contract(they self publish) but have moved into some console indie game dev as a means to make better revenue(although figures for this seem to be less positive than had been hoped for.....see gamasutra articles on XNA/XBLA and WiiWare for details).

Still as Johnathon Blow talked about after Braid was made, he didnt like the constraints that publishing on XBLA put on him as an indie developer.

Overall Indie games often have less polish and content than a AAA big game release, but they are often much more original in idea and execution.

If you look in the Other games thread at poly, specificaly the 'PC gaming 2009' type threads you will find i link once a month to a range of new indie games.

I personally see indie gaming as being the way forward for PC games, free of the culture of graphics over content/Dollars over game design that i feel holds back modern PC gaming. But i am a small stone in a large pond on this currently :)

I hope this snap shot helps some.

Well the first problem you may have is over the exact definition of what being an Indie is.

If you go to Indiegamer developer forums or TIGsource forums you will see many indies trying to work it out! So if they, the indies themselves don't know for sure who does!!

But in my view as a would be indie developer myself, I say the important aspect is to be self-funding(either with or without money!). That enables you to make all the decisions over what your game will be like.

Some 'Indies' ceed control to a third party(and i think console Indie games would fall under this catergory), another group outside the development base, whom can have a veto effect on design decisions etc. This i term pseudo-indie, as the whole point of being an indie developer is to keep your independance, wether for design or marketing etc.

Any developer who draws a salary from a big publisher isn't what can be termed an indie developer. AAA PC and console games traditionaly come from the non-indie development platform.

Recently the term Indie game has come into a wider public focus with games like Braid making a big splash on the Xbox360 via it's live XBLA service.

Typicaly these types of games that are proving popular on console are made by guys who normaly make games without a publishing contract(they self publish) but have moved into some console indie game dev as a means to make better revenue(although figures for this seem to be less positive than had been hoped for.....see gamasutra articles on XNA/XBLA and WiiWare for details).

Still as Johnathon Blow talked about after Braid was made, he didnt like the constraints that publishing on XBLA put on him as an indie developer.

Overall Indie games often have less polish and content than a AAA big game release, but they are often much more original in idea and execution.

If you look in the Other games thread at poly, specificaly the 'PC gaming 2009' type threads you will find i link once a month to a range of new indie games.

I personally see indie gaming as being the way forward for PC games, free of the culture of graphics over content/Dollars over game design that i feel holds back modern PC gaming. But i am a small stone in a large pond on this currently :)

I hope this snap shot helps some.

I do thank you, I have been playing this Castle Crusher and to me its very fun..frustrating but fun:scarednod:

Tis would be great if you would not mind also adding our site (yours,mine,ours) to that which you update as you have the time.

I know I would be very appreciative as will some more, hopefully increasing over time.

i will give props to those folks such as yourself, taking a limited (I assume) budget and making a gaming experience happen

My kinda folks, working it out:D

Grandpa Troll

Tis would be great if you would not mind also adding our site (yours,mine,ours) to that which you update as you have the time.

I know I would be very appreciative as will some more, hopefully increasing over time.

Grandpa Troll

No worries, atleast here bits and bobs about indie stuff wont get swamped in off topic attention seeking :)

Just curious, does this blog that was posted update a lot?

Weekly or daily?

Some not so interesting and some very interesting game:woohoo:

Thanks

Grandpa Troll

Finished up Crush The Castle

20 levels

Would be nice to have another set of levels

I will see what else there is to offer, was fun:bounce:

Well i can do a lazy version right now if you like, much as i was doing at poly. I will find time to actualy right a quick snippet for each game featured at some point for future posts(as i usually play the lot) but to get the ball rolling i'll just link to this months indie feature and you can go and try some of the games out:

http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23435

Enjoy :)

this weeks gamasutra 'Best of Indie' picks:

http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23538

Of those listed, 'Spewer' is a fun puzzler(lite) platform game, 'Normal Tanks' is an excellent shooter and 'Paper Moon' is whimsical in style(and requires an install of a plugin for which you will need administrater rights).

El_Cid

On a semi related note, at our former home, some would put games similiar to these in various threads, and many would try for bragging rights for high scores.

I remember a helicopter game.

Is there a category, this is Indie games, but any other categories to find similiar games like normal tanks and crush the castle?

I am looking free that you get off internet and play.

Thanks for all the news by the way:rrockon::broc::unworthy::broc:

El_Cid

On a semi related note, at our former home, some would put games similiar to these in various threads, and many would try for bragging rights for high scores.

I remember a helicopter game.

Sadly i dont have time to try all these games out in a competitive sense, i tend to keep an eye on the indie scene because it throws up some really fresh ideas re games design etc, stuff you wont see in the mainstream.

So for me the interest is in the idea's, rather than the gaming....but yeah maybe if we can find some neat games in these threads someone could open up an individual thread for it, and people could compete?

Is there a category, this is Indie games, but any other categories to find similiar games like normal tanks and crush the castle?

I am looking free that you get off internet and play.

Finding Indie games is the big problem, well finding decent indie games is the problem! gamasutra's(weekly) article is often a nice headsup, but you can also check out these sites for more news on whats happening on the 'scene':

http://forums.indiegamer.com/

this is a serious site for indie devs - they tend to 'run off' anyone not realy in the fold of game dev, so it can be quiet. But it is full of great info on the whole indie thing and many of the posters are indies themselves with links in their signatures to their games and websites.

http://forums.tigsource.com/

this is the 'hip' place to hang out - indie devs and gamers alike, maybe a less professional assortment of indie devs overall, but still fun and full of info.

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/

Good upto the minute news of what is going on in the indie world - gamasutra uses it often for reference in it's indie posts.

A couple of what i consider the better indie dev sites:

http://www.introversion.co.uk/?t=3433

http://www.moonpod.com/

http://www.positech.co.uk/

It's a fast moving world of games, very busy and you just have to keep an ear out to find the good stuff.