Alexander

Crusader Kings II: I'm Starting to Get Excited

1,497 posts in this topic

Nope, it's not breaking saves. At least not mine :)

So I need to get 100% warscore to get a victory? darn... I have a casus belli for the northern part of scotland. Not the islands, but I hoped them to be a diversion for Norway... Waiting out was going on... but I don't have the money anymore to defeat a 900 troops army atm.

Some people report issues making the game virtually unplayable, but it seems it works "okay" for most.

And no, you don't need 100%. 100% is when the enemy is FORCED to accept peace. Like when you've won convincingly or you've captured him. Most enemies will fight until 100%, but if he/she is hard pressed, like in the war I just did against a rebelling vassal of my neighbour's while he was getting sandwitched, you can get peace already at 30something. Also, kill his army. Less army = bigger chance of fast surrender.

As for factions, I vote for someplace unconventional.

Spain, Poland, Ireland... they're all too popular and commonplace.

Let's shake things up a bit.

Edited by Alexander

Any more takers? Bantams? Arnelos? Alex?

I don't own this game yet.

Thinking about it, though. These AAR's are awesome.

Alexander, you know my historical knowledge sucks the proverbial donkey spheres!

Is Georgia conventional or not? Apulia? Sardinia? Jamtland I'd never even heard of, so I presume they are!

On the other hand, might the players and potential readers be able to connect better with some place that they recognise and can identify with?

Decisions, decisions..... ;)

I got into this game in a way I never got into EU3. This is IMO the best Paradox game by far. Dive in Arny, it's worth it.

And looking at how the succession game will probably go, you might have a bit yet until it's your turn to go.

Alexander, you know my historical knowledge sucks the proverbial donkey spheres!

Is Georgia conventional or not? Apulia? Sardinia? Jamtland I'd never even heard of, so I presume they are!

On the other hand, might the players and potential readers be able to connect better with some place that they recognise and can identify with?

Decisions, decisions..... ;)

Well, I say start at the duchy level and push for a kingdom. We'd need a decent level duchy though. Some of those are too weak to be fun.

I wasn't talking so much about unconventional historical selections... rather, unconventional locales that have not had so many AARs written about them.

So, I don't know... Lesser Armenia, Wallachia, someplace in Wales? Cyprus, Novgorod, or the Netherlands? The Cathar heretics in southern France could be interesting. Maybe the Latin Empire of Constantinople (in ~1215)? Andalusia would be fun if Muslims were playable.

Alternately, we could try and form one of the new de jure kingdoms that have been added in the new patch. That could be very fun indeed. Aquitaine? Or... Lotharingia. :naughty:

Also, we don't necessarily need to be limited to 1066. There are lots of different dynasties that rose and fell during the game's parameters.

Cool. I'll take your suggestions on board and review the rest of the posts, in this and other threads, and run with them later!

Keep your swords sharp folks! :D

How about Finland?

Them's is pagans, and pagans aren't playable. :(

I've been browsing the PI forums and there is a great deal of comment about 1.05 breaking a lot of areas of the game. I haven't had a chance to play as yet, so can't comment on it yet.

Shall we wait for the rumoured hotfix in a day or two, or start up and hope the hotfix is save game compatible?

Personally I'm OK with waiting for a few days. We can narrow down our choices in the meantime......

Waiting sounds like the smarter choice here. Let's say we take our time to decide until friday? Would that be enough time to decide on the duchy and the hotfix to be released?

Hotfix 1.05b coming today! (for you northern hemisphere types ;) )

Folks, some major bugs slipped into 1.05. Apologies. We'll release a hot fix later today, fixing the following issues:

- Fixed a bug with all children getting the exact same education trait

- The mouse wheel now works for scrolling in all windows again

- Autopause on events in full screen mode now works again

- AI: Made smarter about when to join Crusades/Jihads. Reduced "dogpiling".

- MP: Fixed issue where the client was able to change starting date in the lobby, causing all kinds of issues

- Fixed a bug with de jure assimilation of duchies when the king himself held counties in it

- Fixed an issue with some plots where plotters did not get what they plotted for

- Fixed an issue with war contribution scores turning negative and strange in huge, drawn-out wars

- AI: Less keen on picking the 'Revoke Vassal Title' plot

- Exported WOMEN_INHERIT_PRESSED_CLAIMS and BASTARDS_INHERIT_PRESSED_CLAIMS to defines

- Added some missing French and German translations

Are we not going for a true succession game? i.e. Each player plays a character. When that character dies then they pass the save on.

It would mean some potentially long waits, but as long as the interest in this game doesn't die out then I'm sure we can manage!

As a spectator, i'm interested to see how this would turn out. Each character would actually have a different style, different skills...how realistic! An experienced player builds up a kingdom and a newbie (donald? :p) lets it fall apart and leaves only a county for the successor :D

:lol:

I think this setup should work out great, especially if we try to roleplay our traits too! As long as people can remain patient while they wait for their turn it should be awesome.

P.S. I promise to make my AAR's briefer!

Well, I'll try at least! ;)

OK gents, I've taken in all that has been said in this thread and would like to propose a shortlist of four prospective rogues! All four are dukes, two are independent, two are vassals of a bigger cheese.

First the independents:

1. Duke Gisulf I of Salerno.

Gisulf rules a one province duchy and has no counts under him.

He has no wife and no children. His brother is his heir, who is also unmarried and childless.

Gisulf is a tough soldier, with one ally who can be called on in times of war. (The Duke of Apulia to the east)

Gisulf has a de jure ducal claim on Taranto to the east (part of the Duke of Apulia's lands)

The might of the Holy Roman Empire is to the north, the Byzantine Empire is to the east and Salerno is on the very frontier of Catholicism, with Orthodoxy just encroaching into the heel and toe of Italy.

7089812997_ecbdccbfd6_b.jpg

2. Duke Mihajlo I of Duklja.

Mihajlo rules a three province duchy and has one count under him.

Mihajlo has remarried since his first wife died and has eleven, yes eleven, children! His son is his heir and he is unmarried.

Mihajlo is a flamboyant schemer, but has no active allies.

One of Mihajlo's counties will be lost on his death.

The Byzantine Empire is right on his doorstep to the east and the Holy Roman Empor is just to the north west. Duklja is firmly wedged between Catholicism and Orthodoxy, in fact two of Mihajlo's counties are Orthodox and one is Catholic!

6943743180_0d43679379_b.jpg

And then the vassals of a liege:

3. Duke Davit II of Kartli.

Davit rules a two province duchy and has no counts under him. His liege is the King of Georgia.

Davit is the Marshall of Georgia.

He is unmarried, but has a son and heir, aged one.

Davit is a tough soldier, but has no active allies.

Davit has two de jure ducal claims on the counties of Kartli and Kakheti to the east.

The Byzantine Empire is to the immediate south west. Muslims are close by to the south. Pagans dwell to the north. The region around Kartli is a veritable cultural melting pot!

7089813351_82511d7bb0_b.jpg

4. Duke Theodoras I of Cherson.

Theodoras rules a two province duchy and has no counts under him. His liege is the Emperor of The Byzantine Empire.

Theodoras is unmarried, but has three sons, the eldest of which is his heir and is also unmarried.

Theodoras is an amateurish plotter and has no active allies.

He has two de jure ducal claims to the counties that make up Korchev just to the east.

Theodoras is currently at war with the Sultan of the Seljuk Turks (underneath the warscore popup to the bottom right of the screenie)! :eek:

One of Theodoras' counties will be lost on his death.

Pagans live to the north, The Byzantine Empire surrounds Cherson to the south and the oversized duchy of Pechenegs lies to the west.

7089813625_fcccb42a04_b.jpg

Please vote for who you'd like us to start playing with. If you're here purely as a spectator, we'd love to hear your votes too! :D

Can you capture pagan lands?

You sure can GK. And you don't need a casus belli to do it either since they are non-Christian.

My preferences are in the order you posted them... 1,2,3,4. :)

How does having a liege affect fighting for claims? So for example we have liege and press claims on some neighbouring county and declare war. We win and get the county? Or does our liege then get the county? Or how does that work?

I'd vote for Salerno first, then Cherson, with the other tied for last place.

How does having a liege affect fighting for claims? So for example we have liege and press claims on some neighbouring county and declare war. We win and get the county? Or does our liege then get the county? Or how does that work?

It depends.

If your liege has very strong crown authority, you can't fight with a neighbor within the same kingdom.

In a normal war situation, if you are the one pressing the claim, then ordinarily the land you take should go to you. If you're pressing a claim for someone else or are fighting in your liege's war, then the lands you take will go to them instead.

It's also possible for every settlement in a province to go to a different faction, based on who was besieging it. This happened during my last crusade.

1)Kartli

2)Cherson

3)Duklja

4)Salerno

Apparently the hotfix is out, although I've yet to DL it. I'll keep an eye on the PI forum and see what the responce is.