Alexander

Crusader Kings II: I'm Starting to Get Excited

1,497 posts in this topic

I've had a look in the game and the following stood out a possibilities:

Counts:

Count Roger of Reggio (Sicily and the Reggio, Italy) - Vassal to the independent Duke of Apulia (2 provinces)

One of the two independent counts of Sardinia. (1 province each)

One of the numerous counts in northern Spain - Vassal to the Dukes and/or Kings of that area. (1 province each)

Count Austmod of Jamtland - Independent count with Pagans to the north, Norway and Sweden to the south. (1 province)

Dukes:

Duke of Barcelona - More infidel mayhem (4 province, 3 vassals)

Duke of Potucale - Ditto (4 provinces, 3 vassals)

Duke Paul of Orknay - Right at the top of Scotland and Norway's beachhead into the 'UK'! (3 provinces, 1 vassal)

Kings:

King Sancho of Aragon - A one province kingdom just to the south of the Pyrenees. Start small and work our way up! (No vassals)

Ling Antso of Navarra - Likewise, but two provinces.(1 vassal)

King Bagrat of Georgia - Byzantine Empire to the south, Muslims to the south too, Pagans to the north, and some poor sod will have to deal with the Mongols....... (4 provinces, 1 vassal)

I'm playing my own game in Scotland, so I also prefer someplace else. I like the Italy or Spain start :)

I'd like to climb up from 1 county to a lot of them and maybe even proclaiming some high title. Starting as a King however is supposed to be easier...

I'm playing my own game in Scotland

:excited: Let's see some screenies good sir! :D

I'm doing a Denmark game these days. Lots of big neighbours though, so it's a struggle just to remain the size I am.

These are my neighbours: Humongous HRE, Sweden-Norway, weirdshaped smaller but strong Poland, kingdom of Rus. And the Mongols are coming any day now...

I may need to get this... just read through BigDork's AAR thread and, holy ****, this game actually looks good.

I'll have to purchase it after I'm no longer obsessed with the new 1.2 update to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I Plan on getting it today after reading the threads on here about it if only for something to play till G&K comes out.

Alexander, are you in too?

Maybe. When were you thinking of starting? The next two weeks are going to be hellish for me as I finish the semester.

1.05 is out now, so whenever you're ready, I am. Since it's pbem, timing doesn't matter, we play when we can. We need to set some guide lines though.

10 years per "turn"? Perhaps 20?

Any house rules? Perhaps not needed?

I vote for a king or duke start, preferably not next to Muslims. That makes either a huge challenge if we are unlucky or a cakewalk if we're lucky. I find Poland to be great, close to pagans, in the middle of the divide between catholicism and orthodoxy, and reasonably sized neighbors. Except for the HRE, but they don't attack if we don't take their land.

:excited: Let's see some screenies good sir! :D

Alrighty then, just because you asked so nicely ;)

Please take in mind (before you expel me from playing in a succession game) that this is my first game in a Paradox game, and therefor also in CKII!

My details:

ck2_2012_04_17_18_54_27_677.jpg

And now the major event going on for some time now, I wanted the northern county as well, I didn't even realise that I had to declare war on the entire kingdom of Norway to make that happen. When I did that, nothing really happened. I attacked the visible territories and Norway was too busy waging war in England. The picture is from just after the best moment in the war. Norway landed a near 1000 troops in "my" county and drove me out. I still have an 80% warscore though, and that was even higher (83% at highest). But they wouldn't accept anything other then white peace or surrender from my side. And both made sure I didn't have the northern county under me...

ck2_2012_04_17_19_01_11_619.jpg

Next time, I'll go south first. I actually have a claim on the Kingdom of Scotland. But I need to kill some siblings of the current King to get to that....

Ohw, and the Norwegians also called in a favor from the Isle of Man, so they just started to amass some troops as well...

How does one actually get those county's that are striped in my pic? I have them like that for a while now... Do I really need peace other then white peace or surrender from my side with Norway to get that?? Or am I missing a button somewhere to press my claims to that county?

When you go to war, you go for a specific casus belli, which may be, among other things, any county you have a claim on. When you peace out, you can only get this county, nothing else(except money, which transfers by default). There are three peace options; victory, white peace, surrender. The longer you control the title contested, the more war score you get, until you get 100%. So you should just have waited. Or gone on the offensive.

How does one actually get those county's that are striped in my pic? I have them like that for a while now... Do I really need peace other then white peace or surrender from my side with Norway to get that?? Or am I missing a button somewhere to press my claims to that county?

When you can get a full peace in your favor, assuming the terms of the war included you taking control of or making a vassal of those territories they will become yours. In the mean time, as long as you control them your warscore will continue to go up. The answer is yes, you'll need peace other than white or surrender to get them. If you have money, try to get some mercs. If things start to look too bleak get a white peace and build up for another try in a few years.

Patch is out. Anyone know if it is breaking saves or not?

1.05 is out now, so whenever you're ready, I am. Since it's pbem, timing doesn't matter, we play when we can. We need to set some guide lines though.

10 years per "turn"? Perhaps 20?

Any house rules? Perhaps not needed?

I vote for a king or duke start, preferably not next to Muslims. That makes either a huge challenge if we are unlucky or a cakewalk if we're lucky. I find Poland to be great, close to pagans, in the middle of the divide between catholicism and orthodoxy, and reasonably sized neighbors. Except for the HRE, but they don't attack if we don't take their land.

Are we not going for a true succession game? i.e. Each player plays a character. When that character dies then they pass the save on.

It would mean some potentially long waits, but as long as the interest in this game doesn't die out then I'm sure we can manage!

Seems to be working fine! I'll check at the PI forum to make sure.......

I haven't played a 1.04 game since I got the 1.05 beta, but the changes are huge, in scope of a mini XP, so I really recommend a clean game.

Are we not going for a true succession game? i.e. Each player plays a character. When that character dies then they pass the save on.

It would mean some potentially long waits, but as long as the interest in this game doesn't die out then I'm sure we can manage!

We could do that. The only form I've played is the one I described, but I'm fine with this too.

So we're:

RobWorham

Nikolai

Donald23 (to mess things up!)

BigDork

?

Any more takers? Bantams? Arnelos? Alex?

I suggest we just start as soon as possible, no need to wait much IMHO. Rob starts, I take over and so on in that order?

Maybe. When were you thinking of starting? The next two weeks are going to be hellish for me as I finish the semester.

We'll start soon, but no rush, this isn't going to be a speed Succession Game! ;)

I'll review the thread for peoples opinions about start location and feudal level and try to get something started after work today (ie 9 hours or so)

I just LOVE crusades sometimes.:D I am Denmark. The kingdom of Poland has been a thorn in my side for a long time, attacking me while I could only fend him off and not take him out. Then the king of Poland goes Lollard and the pope disapproves. I join in the crusade, contribute the most and *BAAM*. Instant king of Poland.:D

I'd rather us not be a single county count. Can be a whole lot of sitting around doing nothing in the beginning. Exception to that being Ireland from my experience. Small dukedom or one of the small Spanish kingdom is my preference but honestly, I am really 100% okay with just about anything. :)

Nope, it's not breaking saves. At least not mine :)

So I need to get 100% warscore to get a victory? darn... I have a casus belli for the northern part of scotland. Not the islands, but I hoped them to be a diversion for Norway... Waiting out was going on... but I don't have the money anymore to defeat a 900 troops army atm.

I don't think you necessarily need 100% warscore to get a victory, depends on your opponent and their view of the chances of their survival. 100% guarantees victory though I presume.

I think the new patch 'might' break certain saves, depending on the new de jure setups conflicting with the old.