Alexander

Crusader Kings II: I'm Starting to Get Excited

1,498 posts in this topic

Does anyone else have problems with CK2 freezing up?

I had it happen once before with Duchess Matilda of Tuscana and now again with Duke Robert of Apulia. I'm still playing in the demo mode, so I can't save the game and it's gone forever!

Duke Robert is an interesting character to play. Although he's a great military leader, he begins with almost no troops to lead -- maybe 400 of his own and another 500 vassal levies. His counties are half Catholic and half Orthodox, and the natural path of expansion for him is to attack into Muslim Sicily. So he has religious problems. His family is gigantic. He's one of 15 children, 9 of whom are still alive. He has 5 children and a small army of nieces and nephews.

My strategy was to begin marrying my relatives off to nobles all over the region: Duchess Matilda in northern Italy; the count of Serrano, a princess of Hungary, a Spanish King, a German duke. I looked up to find I had 10 allies. I was just preparing to attack the Sheikh of Palermo, when the game froze. :(

Oooh, second question: It appears to me that Christian nations cannot launch attacks from the sea against Muslim nations, correct??

No problems with freezing here. Maybe it's the demo, but I had no problems with my short experience of that. Any luck with the full version yet?

Regarding the second question. No idea here, way outside of my limited knowledge of the game!

P.S. Looking forward to the 3rd part of the Dev Dairy. Let's hope it's released before I go to bed...... :zzz:

Any luck with the full version yet?

Lots of irons in the fire:

(1) My quasi-nephew in the U.S. has told me that, as soon as his VA check arrives, he will buy a copy for me and gift it via Steam. :D (He's been frustrated 'cause it's almost impossible to get Xmas (etc.) gifts to me.)

(2) I finally managed to make email contact with my credit union this morning. I'm waiting for a response to my question about why they won't let me buy the game using the credit card they issued me.

(3) I now have an application for a Filipino credit card. If all else fails, I'm heading in to Tag with it next Tuesday.

(4) In the next month or so, I'll be going to Cebu to renew my passport at the U.S. consulate. A few blocks away is the largest shopping mall in the central Philippines. I'm hoping that one of the shops carries computer games.

I use the Captain Jack Sparrow approach to problems: If at first you don't succeed, try-try-try again, and fail-fail-fail. Trytryfailfail. Trytrytrytrytryfailfailfailfailfail. Tryfailtryfailtryfail. Then shoot it. And miss.

Edit: It's now 3 p.m. in Los Angeles and 24 hours after I re-iterated my question to my credit union, and still no answer. I'm guessin' they are not going to respond. :(

Edited by Zkribbler

Does anyone else have problems with CK2 freezing up?

None. Sorry, must be the demo or your setup.:(

Oooh, second question: It appears to me that Christian nations cannot launch attacks from the sea against Muslim nations, correct??

Que? Of course you can. Raise some boats with enough space, send them to the Muslim shore, commence attack.:)

New dev diary:

Hello everybody and welcome to the third and final development diary about the 1.05 update. This time we'll talk alot more about added content, and not just about added or improved features.

We shipped with about 2,100 events for Crusader Kings II, which is more than we've ever had in any game we've ever released, even with multiple expansions. This does not mean that we did not want to add more events, and this free update contains over 300 new events.

First of all, there is a huge event series now to create more personal relationships. The Friendships and Rivalries event series creates friends and rivals, and also gives more flavour and repercussions for good and bad opinions.

Of course, there are quite an amount of interesting traits like dwarf, hunchback and stutter. These have now been given events, some bad and some good, but most there for making your characters feel more unique.

Finally, when it comes to events, we have spent a lot of time on making sure that regencies feel different than when your character have some sort of absolute power of his or her throne. There is now several event-series that can occurr during a regency, and many of them may have some drawbacks.

One of the most popular features in CKII is the possibility to plot. It's a concept we're proud of and definitely want to add more in, whenever possible. This update contains two new plots. As an independent ruler, you tend to not have that many different types of plots to select from, and this is something we want to improve upon. 1.05 contains a new plot where you can plot to revoke titles from your vassals. For those that are vassals, there is also a new plot where you can weaken a fellow vassal and strengthen you.

For those of you that got frustrated about lack of plots, the Kill Plot is now more available and targets a wider selection of logical characters.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52220[/ATTACH]To make it easier to plot, there is now a plot-button on the character window. If you click on it on your own character, you get the possibility to select an ambition from the icons that appear.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52221[/ATTACH]On other characters it shows icons of relevant plots targetting that character, which most of the time involves how to arrange a lethal accident conveniently.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52219[/ATTACH]Causes of Death – It is now possible to see what characters died of, so that you will know if your son was murdered or not. This is shown in a tooltip over the skull-icon which is shown on dead characters. Causes of death include, Natural, Murder, Diel, Suicide, Battle, From Trait, Accident and many more.

Now its just a four days until April 17th and the release!

New dev diary! Three pics are there too, but they were attachments, so go here if you want to see them.:)

Hello everybody and welcome to the third and final development diary about the 1.05 update. This time we'll talk alot more about added content, and not just about added or improved features.

We shipped with about 2,100 events for Crusader Kings II, which is more than we've ever had in any game we've ever released, even with multiple expansions. This does not mean that we did not want to add more events, and this free update contains over 300 new events.

First of all, there is a huge event series now to create more personal relationships. The Friendships and Rivalries event series creates friends and rivals, and also gives more flavour and repercussions for good and bad opinions.

Of course, there are quite an amount of interesting traits like dwarf, hunchback and stutter. These have now been given events, some bad and some good, but most there for making your characters feel more unique.

Finally, when it comes to events, we have spent a lot of time on making sure that regencies feel different than when your character have some sort of absolute power of his or her throne. There is now several event-series that can occurr during a regency, and many of them may have some drawbacks.

One of the most popular features in CKII is the possibility to plot. It's a concept we're proud of and definitely want to add more in, whenever possible. This update contains two new plots. As an independent ruler, you tend to not have that many different types of plots to select from, and this is something we want to improve upon. 1.05 contains a new plot where you can plot to revoke titles from your vassals. For those that are vassals, there is also a new plot where you can weaken a fellow vassal and strengthen you.

For those of you that got frustrated about lack of plots, the Kill Plot is now more available and targets a wider selection of logical characters.

To make it easier to plot, there is now a plot-button on the character window. If you click on it on your own character, you get the possibility to select an ambition from the icons that appear.

On other characters it shows icons of relevant plots targetting that character, which most of the time involves how to arrange a lethal accident conveniently.

Causes of Death – It is now possible to see what characters died of, so that you will know if your son was murdered or not. This is shown in a tooltip over the skull-icon which is shown on dead characters. Causes of death include, Natural, Murder, Diel, Suicide, Battle, From Trait, Accident and many more.

Now its just a four days until April 17th and the release!

:expect:

Probably the weakest diary presentation wise, but I can't wait for causes of death (I've been following the mod over at PI) and more events and plots can only be a good things to add immersion to the game!

I only hope it is save game compatible, otherwise I think I'll call my current game done once I form my Kingdom......

Que? Of course you can. Raise some boats with enough space, send them to the Muslim shore, commence attack.:)

Nope, when I sail to Muslim shores, the green disembarkation arrow turns red and my troops won't leave the ship. I'm thinkin' that, early in the game, I might have a naval tech that is really primordial.

No. It's in from the get go. Sail up to the shore, choose the army(square button to the upper right when you highlight your ships) and disembark by right clicking on the coastal province. Believe me, I do this a lot. :)

No. It's in from the get go. Sail up to the shore, choose the army(square button to the upper right when you highlight your ships) and disembark by right clicking on the coastal province. Believe me, I do this a lot. :)

When you're right, you're right. :dunno:

I wonder what I was doing wrong. I'm guessing it was one of two things. Maybe I hadn't declared war on the county I was trying to enter. But more likely, I didn't click on the box and then right click on the county. I probably covered the ships and troops with a block, and then told it to move...and ships don't go onto land. That's why I got the red arrow.

Thanks, Nik. :)

Hehe. Yeah, it's easy to accidently mark the ships and not the troops.:) Glad to be of help mate!

Hey all. Good to see some CKII love going on. I've been playing the Hell outta this game. :D

:b:

How about a WPC CKII Succession Game once patch 1.05 comes out? We might get some more takers at WPC and be able to make a mini community!

hmm, sounds cool, but as I haven't had any time to play lately and don't even understand everything yet it might not be wise to play... except to play the ruler in between that ****s up an empire ;):p

Hey all. Good to see some CKII love going on. I've been playing the Hell outta this game. :D

A Big Dork sighting

Brings wide smiles and joy to all.

How long will he stay?

A day or a week

BigDork is at WePlayCiv

Only to fade away

He always returns

The community is great

Haiku is better

Not off-topic

CKII is amazing

Hours of fun spent

He's a nutter! But it's a good read!

So, so far we have the following interested in playing:

RobWorham

Nikolai

Donald23 (to mess things up!)

BigDork

Don't worry about messing things up Donald, I've only 'played' one proper game, my AAR, and I'm only 26 years into that. I've no experience outside of small independent wars and a bit of matchmaking. Half the fun will be messing things up big time!

So, anybody got any bright ideas where we could start. Shall we start as an Earl and work our way up? If so, where to kick off?

Alexander recommended a count in Sicily - maybe that would be a good place to start - some muslim neighbours to beat up on, reasonably close to The Holy Land, some expansion possibilities.

What about a count in nothern Spain. Lots of infidels to the south - lots of action. Some interesting dynastic wrestling with close relatives to either side.....

Any thoughts gents?

Also, who's going to kick it off? Shall we pick from our starting list at random?

Alexander, are you in too?

Since you and I have both had games in Ireland Rob I'd like to suggest we not start there. Sicily could be a lot of fun. Muslims to the south, HRE to the North, Byzies to the East. If we wanna try for something bigger we could always have a go at trying to make Sweden the premier Scandinavian power. I'm good with anything though. NO matter what, it'll be great fun.

Any chance of some screenies BigDork. What year are you in? How far have you expanded? What marriages have you managed to pull off?

Sure thing. Lemme compile some stuff and I'll show you all where I'm at.

Got distracted by the Rangers/Senators game. Post coming soon.