Alexander

Crusader Kings II: I'm Starting to Get Excited

1,498 posts in this topic

Thanks for the tips, esp. about the F11 key :D

I just finished with Matilda. (5 daughters :eek: ) Something happened twice which has be baffled.

I initiated a Holy War vs. Sardinia. It has three provinces: I already controlled Corsica; the HRE controlled the northern part of Sardinia; and I conquered the southern part. However, even though the Muslims controlled none of the duchy and had no troops left, my war score was only 46% and they wouldn't surrender...not until maybe a year later, when the war score ad crept up into the mid-50%s. Later, I initiated a Holy War vs. Calabria. It has two provinces. I took one; the HRE took the other, all Muslim troops were wiped out, but again, the war score was around 46%, and the Muslims wouldn't surrender.

How can it be that I conquer my entire target, and I'm still not at 100%, and the Muslim with 0 troops won't surrender?

Not having played it yet, i can only give a guess to what happenend based on other PI-games:

When country A is at in two seperate wars with countries B and C, and B and C occupy half of A, each, neither B or C will have 100% warscore, but only 50% each. Thus neither can annex A, even though, combined they have it completely occupied.

Not having played it yet, i can only give a guess to what happenend based on other PI-games:

When country A is at in two seperate wars with countries B and C, and B and C occupy half of A, each, neither B or C will have 100% warscore, but only 50% each. Thus neither can annex A, even though, combined they have it completely occupied.

In CK2, if that happens, the enemy will surrender.

Okay, so I gave in to group pressure (yes, looking at you Rob W.! :curse::borg:) and bought a Steam key. As I'm waiting for the seller to e-mail it to me I came to report here. :expect::excited:

Ooops! Hope you enjoy it as much as me! If Civ (any) was this rich I'd be playing that SP all the time.

You choose tutors with high skills in the area, with(important!) a good trait in said area. So go for a midas touched rather than a penniless spender.

Thanks for the extra tip Nikolai. I thought a high skill would suffice, but good to see that a trait help extra.

My pleasure. Oh, and remember that there's a 90% chance of the kid to inherit the tutors religion and culture, so beware(or enjoy playing a heathen;)). Also, beware of the tutor's traits in general. A worth, craven and gluttonous tutor can mean succession crisis since your vassals don't like bad traits more than the regular joe, and the kid has a good chance of getting the traits of the tutor :o

If Civ (any) was this rich I'd be playing that SP all the time.

I'll second that. It's really immersive.

Hmmm, wish I had the time. Was checking out a couple of strat forums/sites about this, and it looks like a super fun game. Perhaps this summer when I get a bit more free time.

I have a question which google does not seem te be able to answer for me...

After conquering a province (winning the battles, besieging the town and church and winning. What then? How does it become my province?

All wars are made with a specific goal, casus belli, in mind. If the casus belli is to get province x, you get province x on winning. And only province x.

You might also 'get' the province, but someone else will be 'running' it and have their image in the top left. If you want yours there then you'll have to revoke their title, if you want it now, but it's best to cherry pick only he best for your demesne, as you are limited to a few counties only.

Interesting choice for your first game Donald! Care to enlighten us as to why you chose him?

Is this game accissible to someone who isnt really all that firm with medieval stuff? E.g. does it feature a lot of helpfull tooltips?

My historical knowledge is pretty weak across the board, limited to the major events that involved England over the years. The game is certainly accessible without having knowledge of the era. The UI could be more friendly, but there is certainly enough to sink your teeth into. You might find your immersion is helped by reading a wiki article on your chosen dynasty/ruler/area, but it's not necessary.

There's a demo if you want to dip your toes in for a try! Limited to 20 years, but not limited to the four characters they offer at first glance. (see Alexander's tip (twice in this thread) or shout if you can't find it)

Have fun! :D

I have a question which google does not seem te be able to answer for me...

After conquering a province (winning the battles, besieging the town and church and winning. What then? How does it become my province?

The mechanics are: you push your opponent's diplomacy button. One of choices will be "make peace." Press the "make peace" button and then on the "make peace" page, and select "press demands." At the bottom of the page is the "send" button; press it. It usually takes a few days for your opponent to get back to you and surrender.

Caveat: As a lord, you're not supposed to hold the titles to towns and bishoprics, but a victory will give you titles to these as well. There'll be a warning icon on the top of your screen, and your vassals will get grumpy (plus, it'll probably put you over the demense limit). The way you solve these problems is to do diplomacy with various courtiers in your court, and bestow these lowly titles on them.

Interesting choice for your first game Donald! Care to enlighten us as to why you chose him?

That was a quick start, and I nearly as quick abandoned it :) After a few months in game, I found out I had the start date at 1377 or something, while I wanted to start at the very beginning. Also I wanted to play in Scotland or Ireland. As I played the demo with Duke of Connaught and didn't want to take Munster as you already did that :p I was more or less left with Scotland (given the difficulties that the lowest titles face). Thus I chose a duchy in Scotland. And The Isles sounded like a nice Duchy :)

At this moment I'm playing (actually playing :)) With Monroy and Ross. And I conquered that province in the north-north-east of Ross. As I had to declare war on Norway to go there, I did that. He is busy at 2 other places as well, including a war in York that is not going very well for him. I encountered almost no resistance.

But now the province seems mine, my shield and all on it, but still it tells me it's owned by Norway and has this silly person gouverning it, whom I did not appoint. I fought the war against him.

The casus belli was that is was a de jure province by the way.

But as I read it, I have to make peace with Norway, to make it actually my province... That will take that I take the war a bit further though, as that King isn't convinced enough, that I can press my demands :) Maybe I can help out down in England...

Is this game accissible to someone who isnt really all that firm with medieval stuff? E.g. does it feature a lot of helpfull tooltips?

I'm also not very knowledgeable about medieval europe :) I just like the setting.

It's not the lack of history knowledge that makes it hard, it's the milllion different variations and possibilities that can happen. That makes it quite a read or alot of tries to figure out what it all does and affect :)

That's a real fun part though :D

I just got walloped playing as a pagan... next time my kid decides to 'follow the old ways' I'm killing him.

Suits you well for letting him be taught by a pagan.;)

Patch 1.05 and imminent DLC announced - Release date approx April 17th

From PI forum:

When the 1.05 update for Crusader Kings II is released there will be DLC's associated, available for purchase at the same time. However, in this series of development diaries, we aim to detail what you will get for free from it. This update is planned to be released on April the 17th and has three major sets of new features we will talk about every friday until then.

One of the things we personally thought was not the best feature of CKII was the crusades system. It was rather similar to the system we had in the original game, and while it technically worked, it just did not feel entirely right. So we wanted to overhaul this in the game when we had some extra time. So for the first major content update, this was a given.

First of all, Crusades now target an entire de jure kingdom. Also, the actual crusade is one common war, that the Pope declares and other rulers can join. The one ruler contributing the most to the crusade will gain the targetted Kingdom, if the war is successful. This means that crusades have the potential to be more powerful than before, but also relies on the abilities of the Pope to get a coalition going.

Of course, we have now added the possibility for a ruler to ask to join another ruler's war, for some types of wars, even though you are not allied. This is a feature that was primarily added to make the big crusade wars more fun, but it is also available if you for example want to help someone become independent.

One feature we thought would fit this brilliantly was the concept of attached armies. It was originally conceived of for this system, where you might be a small count, but would like to participate in the grand crusade without your small army being lost alone. We have tried it out in the latest patches for V2 and EU3, and now its in its full glory. When you give the order to one of your units, it will attach itself to the strongest friendly army in the same province, and then follow that one around, fighting together with it.

Finally, as we mentioned earlier, participating in a war and doing things are now rewarding. Participants in wars now get a contribution score which determines how much prestige and piety they get when the war ends. This is a good reason for a smaller count to join in on a crusade, even though he may himself not be crowned King of Jerusalem, he may end up with a lot of prestige and piety from it.

Join us again next week, when we talk about more shady stuff

Awesome! I'll be able to send some boys over from Ireland to gain some prestige and piety! :woohoo:

Another dev diary:

CK II - 1.05 Development Diary - 2 of 3 - April 6th 2012

Hello everybody and welcome to the second development diary about the 1.05 patch. Last week we talked about the revised crusade system and all the new features supporting it. Now we have come to discuss something that may be a surprise to some.

1.05 is introducing a concept called Dynamic Kingdoms. The original release introduced the concept of de-jure kingdoms, but they were 100% static, and each province belonged to a kingdom from the start to the end of the game. While this system had its advantages, there were some slight drawbacks to it, and we wanted to improve upon it.

The first feature of this concept is the fact that duchies can now be assimilated into another de-jure kingdom, after belong to that kingdom for at least 100 years. So if England holds Normandy for 100 years, it will become a de-jure part of England, and the crown-laws of England will apply to Normandy. This also makes the unification of Spain, as one Kingdom, a long-term practical goal

We also introduced the concept of creating titular titles, if you hold the scripted capital. Titular titles are more expensive to create than titles that have land already de-jure to them. This means that you can now create the Kingdom of Venice if you so desire..

We have also added quite a lot of kingdoms to the map from the start, so that some of the major ones like France and Germany are slightly less powerful blocks at the start of the game. Frisia, Lotharingia, Bavaria, Pomerania, Aquitaine and Britanny are now de jure kingdoms from 1066, even if they are not actual titles held by someone. If they are not created and held by someone they will eventually be assimilated.

Some changes to kingdom setup also include Galicia and Navarre being de jure kingdoms, and the kingdom of Al-Andalus is now called Andalusia and can be created by anyone in the Arabic culture group.

An interesting mechanic change is that a kingdom can only be created if you are already a king or emperor, OR you hold more than one duchy title. After all, who would respect a mere duke claiming to be a king.

Kings and Emperors can now also take counties inside their de-jure realms, as we changed how Ducal Claims work to now be a "De Jure Claim", so if you as King of Burgundy holds a province that is de jure France, France can always attack you for it.

I have to apologise for the lack of screenshot in this development diary, but I am writing it from home, as its a holiday week.

Enjoy, and you'll see more details next week.. where we may finally be more shady!

:b:

This might just be one the best improvements over CK/DV IMO.

The third and last dev diary is coming this Friday - about intrigue by the sounds of it...... :sneaky:

I think you will like that dev diary too. :)

I've still to get the game (quite a backlog of gaming currently!) , but that is the kind of update that sounds like they really want to make this game better beyond the kind of 'cash-in-dlc' mentality we have also seen. It keeps me quite hopefull for the game longterm :b: