Alexander

Crusader Kings II: I'm Starting to Get Excited

1,498 posts in this topic

Now eight years into the game. Twin sons brings me up to four pre-schoolers. I tried to betroth my 1-year-old daughter (why wait for the last minute), but no one good was yet out there.

I still have no fabricated claims, but I finally got some badly-needed military experience. My vassal (the something of Parma) had two peasant revolts: one in Lucca and one on the island of Corsica.

At first I went nuts trying to send troops to Lucca, until I figured out the location is set by right clicks, not by left clicks.

Then I got to go nuts with sea transport until I figured out that the ships have to be moved right next to land, not just into the adjacent sea.

I'm playing this for game the experience, and so I'm fine with making rookie mistakes.

Edited by Zkribbler

Now, ten years into the game.

The HRE launched a holy war on the Orthodox in Capua. I raised my troops and voluntarily joined him, taking over the province.

I now have the option of forming another duchy. The only other county in the Duchy of Capua would be Napoli, which is now under fierce attack by a huge army of Muslims. Even if I raise all my troops and all my vassals troops, I'd still be outnumbered.

Okay, I did raise an army an march down there, but without a declaration of war, no one would fight. So I went home.

After Napoli fell to the Muslims, I declared Capua a duchy, which gave me a claim on Napli. That was my goal in the war, but even after I took it, the emir still wouldn't give up. So I invaded his next county, Solerno, even tho it wasn't part of my demand. Then little dabby-do armies kept landing in Naples or Capua, and I'd have to break of my seige to go fight them. After a couple of years of this, the sultan gave up his claim on Naples.

BTW: My husband (who I mistakenly said was Spanish, but who is really Scottish) when home to Scotland to be an earl there. When one of our kids becomes 6, th begin educating them in Scotland. That's one of the problems with playing with CKII 1.0. I'm sure the updates will take care of this.

But not much is happening in this game. I believe what happened with the Pope was that he asserted a de jure claim on my county. No biggie, I'm stilll the de facto ruler.

What happened was that the pope owns 50% or more of the duchy, and as such can usurp it as soon as he has the money. IE, quite fast.

BTW: My husband (who I mistakenly said was Spanish, but who is really Scottish) when home to Scotland to be an earl there. When one of our kids becomes 6, th begin educating them in Scotland. That's one of the problems with playing with CKII 1.0. I'm sure the updates will take care of this.

Errr.... I hope you married matrilinearly? If so, I think the kids will follow the location of the mother. And if you did not marry matrilinearly, you will lose the game when Mathilda dies...

Errr.... I hope you married matrilinearly? If so, I think the kids will follow the location of the mother. And if you did not marry matrilinearly, you will lose the game when Mathilda dies...

I was just thinking the same thing. Fortunately if you're playing the demo, Matilda has a good chance of surviving the 20 years you're allowed to play. :p

i did marry matrilinearly....but it was CK2 1.0. I think I got done in by a bug.

But I did last the entire 20 years. However, I got cheated out of raising my children and installing my virtues in them. Plus, my hubby picked up and moved to Scotland. What's up with that?? So I'm a little chubby.

Plus, my hubby picked up and moved to Scotland. What's up with that?? So I'm a little chubby.

Did he inherit his family lands? That's the main way that your spouse can up and go on you. You get a little added prestige for being their consort in whatever their lands are, but you lose out on having them at your court.

That's my guess. He ended up as a Scottish earl, which is weird because he was a bastard.

So that game ended...I took a couple of more counties south of Rome, but that was about it.

I got my computer back. First I couldn't get through to the cite that sells the game. But this morning I did, but it turned out to be just a site which directs you to other sites that sells the games, Paradox adds a 25% VAT and ships you the game. So I went to Steam but had another problem there, and so I'm playing another demo game. And . . .

I'm about to find out what it is to play as the Byzantine Emperor. I started playing using Michael of Adrianopolis. My goal was to have a son; my wife's goal was to have a daughter; my wife got pregnant, but then I died suddenly. Everything goes back to my papa, the Emperor. One pisser is that both Michael and Papa have terrible stats and terrible traits. Rebellion is in the air cause of the bad traits. I'm hoping the Emperor can make it for another 3 years, because he's got a 13 year old son, who's pretty good. :b:

That's my guess. He ended up as a Scottish earl, which is weird because he was a bastard.

There's a couple of possibilities as I see it. One, he was legitimized at some point, which would make him a regular claimant to the title. Two, all the legitimate heirs were dead and he was the last leaf on the family tree.

Best of luck with the Byzantines. :p They tend to get... stab-happy.

Okay, I'm now 8 years into the game. I'm 69 years old, and have been fighting peasant revolts and vassal rebellions of almost the entire game. Remember my #1 son died. My #2 son was just caught planning the assassination of my #3 son. This utterly destroyed #2's diplomatic skills, so I tossed him in jail and am trying to get #3 onto my throne once I die.

Hmm. If you're willing to take a huge prestige hit and risk a few rebellions, you could just have son #2 bumped off (whether by assassination or official execution) in favor of son #3.

I assume that if your current emperor is 69, that you won't have long to wait. You don't want to risk son #2 succeeding. (Imagine that, led straight from the dungeons to his coronation!)

Hmm. If you're willing to take a huge prestige hit and risk a few rebellions, you could just have son #2 bumped off (whether by assassination or official execution) in favor of son #3.

I assume that if your current emperor is 69, that you won't have long to wait. You don't want to risk son #2 succeeding. (Imagine that, led straight from the dungeons to his coronation!)

Yeah... I'm 70 now (will be 71 in a couple of months) and am infirmed. The Angel of Death approacheth. I'm thinking either execution or changing succession to elective (I'm now with the system which divides up the Empire between heirs.)

Edit (later): It didn't look as if I was going to be able to change my succession rules, because all my vassals of count or above must have a favorable rating of me, including the four in prison. When I clicked over to check on assassination, my game crashed. :faint:

And remember: there's no game-saving in demos. :(

Edited by Zkribbler

Sorry you lost your game, Zkribbler.

I'm curious as to why you wanted to change your laws to elective. That can be very problematic, as it lets your vassals decide the succession. That would be particularly hazardous in Byzantium, I dare say.

Especially when you consider that if you reach a point where no one in your family has a title, it's game over.

If you want to toy around with Elective Law though, the Holy Roman Empire has it (though the individual vassals are mostly gavelkind).

I think some of the Scandinavian countries are also elective.

I'm curious as to why you wanted to change your laws to elective. That can be very problematic, as it lets your vassals decide the succession. That would be particularly hazardous in Byzantium, I dare say.

It was short-term thinking. In my family, there'd be a max of two candidates: one in jail for kinslaying, and a better qualified one who was free. I think that vote would be easy.

It was also a gamble that no outsider could take the vote. But I was assuming that my other vassals would be too regionally-based to collect more votes than someone from my family.

Plus, I just thought it'd be cool to change government types to see how that worked.

i did marry matrilinearly....but it was CK2 1.0. I think I got done in by a bug.

Or more precisely, I thought I did. I'm playing Matilda again, and I see where I went wrong.

In this second game, I did marry matrilinearly...twice. I had three daughters with hubby #1, the first is being educated by the HRE's chancellor; the second by my own chancellor; and the third by me (she's recovering for a wound because I let her play with swords). Hubby #2 & I just had my daughter #4.

I've finally established a claim on Capua, south of Rome. But I've also just noticed that the islands of the Western Mediterranean are all controlled by Muslims and are all fabulously wealthy. No casus belli needed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Okay, so remember my attempt to purchase from Paragon failed because they only sell the physical game and they want a 25% VAT?

I tried to buy from another distributor (gamespot) but it wanted to charge me in pesos, and I have only an American credit card.

I tried to get onto another distributor's site, but was "timed out." (That was probably due to my third-world ISP)

Then, just moments ago, I discovered that good ol' Amazon sells CK2 online. I've never had any problem buying from Amazon. So once I'm done playing Matilda, I can finally get the real game. :D

Sounds like you have a lot of issues buying/downloading games Zkribbler! Are you a Steam user? It might be easier in future?

Will you be doing a AAR when you get the full game. It sounds like you gravitate to the dramatic life. I'm sure an AAR by you would make an awesome read!

Sounds like you have a lot of issues buying/downloading games Zkribbler! Are you a Steam user? It might be easier in future?

I think I'm about to become a steam user. I saw a reference to it in an Amazon review of CK2, so the download might come via steam. I worry about using steam because my internet connection is so iffy. But I saw another review somewhere from someone saying that, unlike other games he'd purchased through steam, steam did not appear to start up when he played CK2.

Will you be doing a AAR when you get the full game. It sounds like you gravitate to the dramatic life. I'm sure an AAR by you would make an awesome read!

Probably so. :) I've never been able to get the Print Screen button on my key board to work, so there won't be any pics. Did you see Alexander's prize-winning AAR? Not only screen shots but music as well!

I've been looking at this as well... Played the demo and all.

I just found a shop on eBay that sells steam activation keys in Germany. For E 26,90 I can have it. I'm still in doubt though...

Ohw Zkribbler, ever tried to open Paint after you pressed Printscreen and after opening paint, pressing CTRL+v? That should do the trick...

I think I'm about to become a steam user. I saw a reference to it in an Amazon review of CK2, so the download might come via steam. I worry about using steam because my internet connection is so iffy. But I saw another review somewhere from someone saying that, unlike other games he'd purchased through steam, steam did not appear to start up when he played CK2.

AFAIK it's possible to play without Steam but I haven't tried. The game does come with Steam automatically.

Probably so. :) I've never been able to get the Print Screen button on my key board to work, so there won't be any pics.

I initially had that problem too. Print Screen doesn't work with the game. However, another good thing about CK2 is that it comes with a built-in screenshot feature. IIRC hitting the F11 key takes a screenshot, and F10 takes a shot of the entire map. The pics show up in the Paradox folder in your "My Documents" directory.

Did you see Alexander's prize-winning AAR? Not only screen shots but music as well!

:o

Steam has pausible downloads, so you can DL a game in stages. I doubt you'll need it for CKII, but would probably need to with a big game like Skyrim, if you keep having issues with your connection.

Also, once DLed and activated, you can play Steam games in offline mode, so don't need a connection or to start Steam up.

Also, CKII doesn't need Steam to run, even if you DL it via Steam in the first place. i.e. You can start it from a desktop shortcut and Steam won't load first, or you can go to Steam and start from Steam if you prefer. You can also copy the CKII folder and paste it elsewhere and have multiple versions running at the same time, if you're worried that a big game might get broken with a new patch.

Lastly, Steam has its own screenshot facility, which, if Donald's tip doesn't work might enable you to do a screenshot AAR.

Indeed, I have read Alexander's AAR and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, rumour has it the Irish peasants are getting unruly awaiting the next batch of news from Levantine! ;)

Donald, go on, you know you want to! The demo only gives a snapshot of the potential of this game. Playing the full game makes you think in a whole new, long term, way.

If you two sign up we could get a Succession Game AAR going! :excited:

Thanks for the tips, esp. about the F11 key :D

I just finished with Matilda. (5 daughters :eek: ) Something happened twice which has be baffled.

I initiated a Holy War vs. Sardinia. It has three provinces: I already controlled Corsica; the HRE controlled the northern part of Sardinia; and I conquered the southern part. However, even though the Muslims controlled none of the duchy and had no troops left, my war score was only 46% and they wouldn't surrender...not until maybe a year later, when the war score ad crept up into the mid-50%s. Later, I initiated a Holy War vs. Calabria. It has two provinces. I took one; the HRE took the other, all Muslim troops were wiped out, but again, the war score was around 46%, and the Muslims wouldn't surrender.

How can it be that I conquer my entire target, and I'm still not at 100%, and the Muslim with 0 troops won't surrender?

Okay, so I gave in to group pressure (yes, looking at you Rob W.! :curse::borg:) and bought a Steam key. As I'm waiting for the seller to e-mail it to me I came to report here. :expect::excited:

And a question about tutoring children. How can you try to get a specific trait being thought. Like for example diplomacy or intrigue?

Thanks for the tips, esp. about the F11 key :D

I just finished with Matilda. (5 daughters :eek: ) Something happened twice which has be baffled.

I initiated a Holy War vs. Sardinia. It has three provinces: I already controlled Corsica; the HRE controlled the northern part of Sardinia; and I conquered the southern part. However, even though the Muslims controlled none of the duchy and had no troops left, my war score was only 46% and they wouldn't surrender...not until maybe a year later, when the war score ad crept up into the mid-50%s. Later, I initiated a Holy War vs. Calabria. It has two provinces. I took one; the HRE took the other, all Muslim troops were wiped out, but again, the war score was around 46%, and the Muslims wouldn't surrender.

How can it be that I conquer my entire target, and I'm still not at 100%, and the Muslim with 0 troops won't surrender?

You need to press on to the other parts of your enemies' realms to get more warscore.:)

Okay, so I gave in to group pressure (yes, looking at you Rob W.! :curse::borg:) and bought a Steam key. As I'm waiting for the seller to e-mail it to me I came to report here. :expect::excited:

And a question about tutoring children. How can you try to get a specific trait being thought. Like for example diplomacy or intrigue?

You choose tutors with high skills in the area, with(important!) a good trait in said area. So go for a midas touched rather than a penniless spender.