Alexander

Crusader Kings II: I'm Starting to Get Excited

1,498 posts in this topic

Saves are compatible. I guess there always is the chance of odd stuff happening, but compatible they are.

Really? I got a warning that my old save from before patch 1.03 was irregular and could cause crashes. :confuse:

If I play my 1.03 save under 1.04, will my save game automatically upgrade to the new patch then?

The devs said it will be save compatible. While I can't speak for any experiences I might or might not have(seriously!), that's what the devs says. From the public experience from the last patch, saves were compatible, but one serious crash in the 1.02 version required you to alter an entry in the save game to continue.

And saves from before the patch will probably not be tech supported to the same degree, and don't report any crashes with them. But that last bit is just me guessing, no insider whatsoever on that part.:)

EDIT: Though, as a general rule, don't just expect things to be okay. You have an AAR, keep a spare copy of the game, just in case. Tech stuff never is 100% sure you know.:)

You have an AAR, keep a spare copy of the game, just in case.

A spare copy? How does that work under Steam?

I believe paradox games can simply be copied from the Steam folder to anywhere you want. Just start it from that folder instead, and ignore whatever shortcut steam created.

I certainly started CK2 this afternoon from a desktop shortcut and steam didn't start up to my surprise, unlike Civ5 which first starts up steam, then starts the game.

:zzz: still waiting for my desktop to come back from ths shop.

One thing I noticed in the "Let's Play..." videos: Everyone seemed to be playing at the king level. I did see one guy try to play the Duke of Transylvania. He began by rebelling (i.e. declaring war on the Golden Horde). He saw his liege lord was already involved in 15 wars :eek: and so he thought he might get away unnoticed. Then one day, the Mongols showed up.

Has anyone seen/played a game at the count, duke or emperor levels?

A spare copy? How does that work under Steam?
Go to the steam folder, find the game folder, copy, paste into the desktop or wherever. :)

:zzz: still waiting for my desktop to come back from ths shop.One thing I noticed in the "Let's Play..." videos: Everyone seemed to be playing at the king level. I did see one guy try to play the Duke of Transylvania. He began by rebelling (i.e. declaring war on the Golden Horde). He saw his liege lord was already involved in 15 wars :eek: and so he thought he might get away unnoticed. Then one day, the Mongols showed up.Has anyone seen/played a game at the count, duke or emperor levels?
Most people play dukes in my experience, some counts, but mostly their goal is to become king/emperor. Myself I play mostly king and emperor. But I have a game going as duke of Apulia --> king of Sicily going on now.

Has anyone seen/played a game at the count, duke or emperor levels?

Yep. Played a game as the "Earl" of Leinster. (In real-life they were petty kings.) You start out with one province, but your eldest son holds neighboring Dublin. So once your elderly lord dies, you take over the son and are now lord of two counties. The game played out like a typical Irish game... fight with your neighbors until you can form a Duchy title, fight with them some more until you can become King of Ireland, become Lord of the Isles and fight with Scotland and Wales.

Just looked over the patch notes for 1.04 at PI.

Quote:
Next patch is 1.05. It is a major content patch which will be released together with our first big DLC.

I haven't even started my first game yet and I'm feeling positive about some DLC!

If I'm not too knackered after work I'll get my first AAR up here this evening, otherwise tomorrow morning.

Who did you end you end up deciding to play, Rob?

I think I'm going to go with King Svend II of Denmark. I liked the youtube video series I linked to, I like the position of Denmark with England/France, Sweden/Norway, HRE and Pagan lands all within a stones throw and I like that I've already got 14 brats to appease, four of which are sons with no lands to their name. Should be interesting dealing with that lot, before I even begin to look outwards. If this game is too much to handle I'll look at a count or duke in Ireland for a more gentle learning curve.

Actually, scratch that, I think I'll go with an Irish Duke for my first proper game. I think all those kiddies would quickly get the better of me in my first game!

I'll go with a familiar face, Duke Merchad I of Munster. One child, who has just turned of age, neither Merchad or his son are married, and he's a de jure claim to Desmond to the south, so I'll be able to secure the southern tip of Ireland with relative ease and work onwards from there. In fact, the only problem that faces him from the get go is his unruly vassal in Ormond, the Norwegian Lord Mayor called Ragnvald.

Little steps Rob, little steps......

I am confused about the education of children. What are the advantages and disadvantages of educating your kid yourself vis-a-vis sending him to live with a tutor?

I think, if you educate them yourself, that you get to shape their development, through a series of pop up events. The advantage of educating them elsewhere is that you can send them to a high intrigue person, if you want to work on their intrigue, for instance.

:nod: Makes sense. I also know the tutor likes you more, now that you've entrusted you kid to him.

:idea: Today I learned:

In a matriarchal marriage, the kid will pick up traits from the mother, not the father.

You can tutor other peoples kids (and even give them bad traits if they're the kids of your rivals)

If you kid is tutored by someone from a different religion, you kid might switch to that religion.

I got my computer back yesterday afternoon...only to find that it now has no sound. :( I decided to download the demo anyway because I was unsure if my computer could handle the game. It can. :) Unlike the marathon downloads I've experience with the online RPGs, the download here was fast. I did the whole thing during a Phineas and Ferb marathon on the Disney Channel.

With the demo, there's only four characters a player can choose from. I selected Matilda, a countess in northern Italy, whose holdings stretch down the middle of the peninsula to just passed Rome. She's 20 and has strong traits and stats and a set of really good counselors. She's well liked by practically everyone. I selected a husband from Spain, a bastard with good traits and good stats.

My neighbors to my east and west went traipsing off to war, leaving me along. With some trepidations, I began setting up a claim in the Duchy of Verona, which is stronger than me. Nothing much happened until the summer of 1067, when the Pope usurped one of my titles in a province next to Rome. If it had been anyone else, I'd have clobbered 'em, but this was the Pope.

It turns out, the Pope hates me. He wants my entire province for himself. If I go to war with him, he'll probably excommunicate me, which would cause a collapse of my near-universal support. I might try to assassinate him, but it's chancy: IIRC there's a 37% chance of success but a 27% chance of being discovered. I thought of a ju-jitzu tactic--swearing fealty to him--but he's too afraid of my current lord, the HRE Emperor, to accept. Or, I can get grin and bare it.

Meanwhile, I learned that a player cannot save a demo game, so I had to leave my computer on all night.

I think I'll just roll the dice and try for assassination. This game will be a very quick one anyway, 'cause I need to take my computer back for more work, and there's no way to save.

I got my computer back yesterday afternoon...only to find that it now has no sound. :( I decided to download the demo anyway because I was unsure if my computer could handle the game. It can. :) Unlike the marathon downloads I've experience with the online RPGs, the download here was fast. I did the whole thing during a Phineas and Ferb marathon on the Disney Channel.

With the demo, there's only four characters a player can choose from. I selected Matilda, a countess in northern Italy, whose holdings stretch down the middle of the peninsula to just passed Rome. She's 20 and has strong traits and stats and a set of really good counselors. She's well liked by practically everyone. I selected a husband from Spain, a bastard with good traits and good stats.

My neighbors to my east and west went traipsing off to war, leaving me along. With some trepidations, I began setting up a claim in the Duchy of Verona, which is stronger than me. Nothing much happened until the summer of 1067, when the Pope usurped one of my titles in a province next to Rome. If it had been anyone else, I'd have clobbered 'em, but this was the Pope.

It turns out, the Pope hates me. He wants my entire province for himself. If I go to war with him, he'll probably excommunicate me, which would cause a collapse of my near-universal support. I might try to assassinate him, but it's chancy: IIRC there's a 37% chance of success but a 27% chance of being discovered. I thought of a ju-jitzu tactic--swearing fealty to him--but he's too afraid of my current lord, the HRE Emperor, to accept. Or, I can get grin and bare it.

Meanwhile, I learned that a player cannot save a demo game, so I had to leave my computer on all night.

I think I'll just roll the dice and try for assassination. This game will be a very quick one anyway, 'cause I need to take my computer back for more work, and there's no way to save.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sound for CK2. It's nice, but not essential.

Indeed, it's quite a small downlaod by todays standards. No chewing up my broadband limit to download it! :)

There is a way to play as anyone in the demo, as mentioned earlier in the thread by Alexander.

BTW, in the demo there are only 4 characters that are unlocked, but there's a workaround... select one of the 4, click "start game" and then hurry and click on the country you want to play, and bingo, you're them. The demo will let you play 20 years of game time before it ends.

Easy work-around. In the main menu, select one of the four characters, then hit "Start Game" and quickly click on the alternative faction you wish to play before the game loads.

You can play as any Christian ruler through this method. :nod:

Edit: Looks like Rob beat me to it. Quick on the trigger. ;)

Actually, Matilda is quite a nice character to play.

But not much is happening in this game. I believe what happened with the Pope was that he asserted a de jure claim on my county. No biggie, I'm stilll the de facto ruler.

We're now seven years into the game. I have a son & daughter. I've not been at war; the only causis belli I have is against the Pope :scared: Even though I have an excellent chancellor, I haven't been able to fabricate any claims against anyone. Manuta and Baveria both fabricated claims against my home province but haven't tried anything yet. I threw a feast and bumped my vassals' liking of me up 20 points each. I sent two letters asking for indulgences from the Pope; both were supposed to bump me up 10 points in his eyes; but the first one only got me 4 and the second one only 1. :( My Liege, the HRE Emperor, didn't like me and so I sent him money. Now, he likes me.

Actually, Matilda is quite a nice character to play.

But not much is happening in this game. I believe what happened with the Pope was that he asserted a de jure claim on my county.

Hehe, you could always do like Michele Spike theorized in her bio, and have Matilda of Canossa carry on a sordid love affair with the Pope! :p

(That way Pope Gregory could really lay a de jure claim to her county. :lol:)