Alexander

Crusader Kings II: I'm Starting to Get Excited

1,497 posts in this topic

I used to just ask them to end plot, but now I'm going for the imprison option more. Am I right in saying that you can ransom them for gold or release them for an opinion boost with all your vassals?

I used to just ask them to end plot, but now I'm going for the imprison option more. Am I right in saying that you can ransom them for gold or release them for an opinion boost with all your vassals?

You sure can. Lately in my game because of how much gold the Pope is extorting out of me I've been abusing the ransom option. I release sparingly as I don't feel that the +10 is all that helpful. But I was going with that when my king had ruled for 30+ years. I have a new guy on the throne and every bit of positive opinion helps.

I cannot wait to finish my 3 days of work so I can get some more play time in. :D

Bah.:p Late in the game you should be swimming in money anyways, if you didn't lose your kingdom in a big rebellion or something.:p

Bah.:p Late in the game you should be swimming in money anyways, if you didn't lose your kingdom in a big rebellion or something.:p

As I mentioned, the Pope is extorting money out of me. I swear he is excommunicating me just so that I will have to buy my way back into the Church.

Booya! My parents have a laptop they never use anymore and it has enough power to play the game well. They offered to loan it to me. Now I can play the game! :D

:woohoo:

Go parents! :D

:woohoo:

So I'm playing around with it now. Trying to get a full handle on combat. I was playing as a duke in Scotland right around the area where my wife's family is ultimately from - didn't want to get into England, where my family is ultimately from, yet. If another of the Scottish dukes rebels against the king do you have to get into the war? I didn't at first and ended up getting the craven trait. :( I was curious what happened if I got into the war so I reloaded from a prior save and got into it, but wasn't seeming to help much and then had my lands rebel against me. :(:( I don't think I would have gotten any lands or anything out of helping the king anyway. What would have been the best option there?

i forgot to take any screenshots so I'm considering going back and starting over. This was only about a year or two into the game anyway.

I don't think I've ever been asked to battle a rebelling vassal of my liege. I've been ask to join holy wars; I always respond that I'll send troops and then I don't. No one seems to take offense at this tactic & I don't get craven.

I'm almost positive you won't get any lands from helping out. You'd need to declare war on your own and then be able to enforce your demands.

Not sure Rhoth. I started my first game as a Duke in England and had much the same experience as you - didn't know what was going on. Since then I have played as independent nations.

You might want to start as a count/duke in Ireland, or even The Duke of The Isles if you want to start near Scotland. Once you've got the basics down then maybe try being a vassal?

You might want to start as a count/duke in Ireland, or even The Duke of The Isles if you want to start near Scotland. Once you've got the basics down then maybe try being a vassal?

I'll probably do that. Thanks.

Did you watch the tutorial/AAR that I linked to above? (post 370)

I have been watching it over the last couple of days (I'm on 13 now) and have learnt a great deal from it. Right from the basic mechanics and concepts of the game, through being an independent Count, then Duke, then King.

He mixes tutorial with a bit of AAR, and isn't afraid to reload to show different outcomes to events if different things are done. He's also not afraid to skip ahead and exclude the repetitious bits on his rise to power.

Great series :b:

I've watched all of Tekken's videos, but I've only watched the first one of the new one you linked to. It seems to have some buffering troubles that Tekken's don't have, and slow buffering annoys me. ;)

...and slow buffering annoys me

Totally right there with you.

As for your post above, you do not have to join a rebellion war your king is fighting. If the king needs help he will just raise levies from your lands. As a vassal that happens often, especially if you are in the HRE. You're minding your own business and suddenly you get a pop-up saying King So-and-so has raised your levies and off you and your men go, marching to fight somewhere far away.

Totally right there with you.

As for your post above, you do not have to join a rebellion war your king is fighting. If the king needs help he will just raise levies from your lands. As a vassal that happens often, especially if you are in the HRE. You're minding your own business and suddenly you get a pop-up saying King So-and-so has raised your levies and off you and your men go, marching to fight somewhere far away.

I got that...but then a month or two later I got the pop up telling me that since I was just sitting around on the sidelines I got the craven trait. ;)

Here's an amusing screenshot from my current AAR game. I just couldn't think of a great way to work it in. I was looking in on the HRE for some reason and noticed this...

ck2376.jpg

It would appear that a Holy War/Crusade didn't go so well and now the Emperor is having a nice stay in the Caliph's dungeon. :lol:

Question...I started again as the Earl of Ulster. My only heir is a kinsman with no wife. I was trying to arrange a marriage with someone, but the only options are from my own court. Can you not arrange a marriage for someone else to someone outside your court?

Or was I just doing it wrong? ;)

EDIT: Never mind. Figured it out. I was doing it wrong.

Now hotfix is up!

Well, what do you know - it's yet another hot fix. Hopefully this is the last fix to 1.05.

v1.05e:

- When you press the claim of a vassal ruler, he should now remain your vassal

- Kingdoms that are not previously de jure part of an empire can now also be assimilated

- AI: Fixed an issue with calling allies into single wars

- Fixed an issue with the regency events

- Fixed numerous typos in the database and event files

- AI: Fixed a bug with rulers being able to nominate dead children to titles, if not of their own dynasty

Bring on 1.06! :D

1.06 will come eventually.;) But in the mean time enjoy the vassal claim change.:D

1.06 will come eventually.;) But in the mean time enjoy the vassal claim change.:D

That just happened to me. A guy that I conquered early on now has a 100 rating for me because I pressed his claim to another county instead of pressing my own (which only would have given me another unhappy vassal).

I discovered two interesting things last night:

How to get really good council members :D Use your people search tab on the far right to search the world for an unmarried man who excels at the talent you are looking for (e.g. a guy with military skills of 25). Marry him matrilinearly to a lady in your court. After he comes to your court to marry the lady, appoint him to your council.

Ducal claims do not show up among your claims flag. The only way to ascertain whether you have a ducal claim is to attempt to declare war on the province's ultimate liege. If you're told you need a causis belli, then you have no ducal claim. If you do have a ducal then it will appear near the bottom of the declare war page, clink on it, and send. :)

Anyone know why I can't hand out a ducal claim to a descendant? I'm in an elective succession and I have 50% of the claim, but no ducal claims come up for offer. Is it because of the elective succession, or not having the full duchy, or something else I'm not aware of? :)

Are you trying to hand out a ducal title? I've never heard of handing out claims!

Well, I'm in an elective and they get pissy if you hold too many ducal titles. I wanted to hand out one of them to my eldest son (not my heir ;)) and another to my second eldest son. I settled for giving him a newly acquired county, but a little later I was checking something and it said I could give up the duchy too. Of course then the game crashed. :( I don't know what I did to be able to hand out a ducal title, but it is possible.

If they are unlanded to begin with you need to either:

Give them a county first, so they become landed, then give them the Duke title so they go up in rank - End result is that they are a Duke with one county

or

Give them the whole Duchy and all the counties in the Duchy by clicking the 'include all lower titles box'. This reveals the option to grant them the 'Duchy of X', but you will be giving away at least two counties then, maybe more, depending on the de jure county.

Basically you can't be a Duke without land of some sort.

If my explanation sucks then it is expalined visually in this youtube vid (it's the bloke that you have trouble buffering though)