Alexander

Crusader Kings II: I'm Starting to Get Excited

1,497 posts in this topic

That's too bad. Well, it isn't for all I guess.

Tek's series is wonderful :chili: but if the Denmark "Let's Play" is the one I saw, it contains the best line of any Let's Play: "Who are you, and why are you attacking my castle??"

So, I looked at the demo. It gives me similar sick in the stomach feelings as sim city. I got no idea what's going on anywhere, and don't really care to invest the time to figure it out.

So, I looked at the demo. It gives me similar sick in the stomach feelings as sim city. I got no idea what's going on anywhere, and don't really care to invest the time to figure it out.

Smart man. ;) I think it took me about 5-10 hours of reading tutorials, AARs, and watching videos before I felt like I knew what was going on.

Yeah, that would be my one criticism of the game so far - aweful documentation and the in-game tutorial isn't much better. Just as well there are already lots of youtube AAR's to follow and some good artciles over at PI.

PI seriously need someone to look into these areas in future though, as it seems to be a criticism that is levelled at them time and again.

Well worth perservering with though, once you break through the hard shell its all caramel after that! ;)

I warned ya ;)

Well worth perservering with though, once you break through the hard shell its all caramel after that! ;)

It's more like an onion--not gross and nasty--but with layers. Layer after layer. So maybe it's more like a parfait. "Ain't nobody who don't like parfait." . . . Donkey

I warned ya ;)

Yeah, but my disgust of it got me motivated to go out and sand my corpse, so it's all good. (I hate sanding in general)

Wow, I didn't realise that CK2 was more demading than CivV!

Shame if it is, because PI could reach a much larger audience by having a low graphics mode. As beautiful as the graphics are, they are not 'necessary' to play the game as far as I can see.

Thanks for posting over at PI. I wouldn't have known where to post that question! :b:

I got the following answer last night:

It even runs on my laptop with integrated HD3200 (not perfectly smoothly, but playably).

Tek's series is wonderful :chili: but if the Denmark "Let's Play" is the one I saw, it contains the best line of any Let's Play: "Who are you, and why are you attacking my castle??"

I've been working my way through Tek's series. I like it. Even though I still have yet to play the game I find it amusing that he spent so much time assuring that his heir had good traits...and then didn't even attempt to find a good marriage for him. The heir got married himself and to someone with low, low stats.

I got the following answer last night:

Thanks, but we've decided not to buy the laptop as it was a great bargain, but the battery no longer worked and a new one costs $300. Not such a great bargain any more......

Thanks for your help though - we'll stick to the two desktops and iPad.

I've been working my way through Tek's series. I like it. Even though I still have yet to play the game I find it amusing that he spent so much time assuring that his heir had good traits...and then didn't even attempt to find a good marriage for him. The heir got married himself and to someone with low, low stats.

Yeah, all the AARs I've seen make some huge mistakes sometimes. I guess it's because they wanted to keep the flow of the video going, to keep things interesting. If I made a video AAR it would go for hours and be very dull as I keep doing my 'research' ;)

I think they're best for getting the general idea and occasionally finding our new ways of doing things. Tek is also quite amusing, at least to me down in NZ. "That's what I'm talkin' about"!! ;)

Tek is also quite amusing, at least to me down in NZ. "That's what I'm talkin' about"!! ;)

He sounds a little like Seth Green.

Found this...an Excel list of all of the traits and what they modify. I missed if this had been posted somewhere already, but it looks like a very handy thing to print out.

Traits CKIIvanilla.zip

I want to play an inbred, ugly, blind, clubfooted dwarven hunchback with a stutter. I'll call him Rob. :D

:lol:

Just as well I've got thick skin! BTW, you missed out paranoid, celibate, lunatic leper! :p

Found this...an Excel list of all of the traits and what they modify. I missed if this had been posted somewhere already, but it looks like a very handy thing to print out.

Good resource, thanks. I had a printed out list, but there seemed to be little order to it. Now where is drunkard...... :zzz:

A new hotfix (v1.05d) has come out. Here are the patch notes:

v1.05d:

- Fixed an MP issue where clients would go OOS if the host had clicked around on the bookmarks or time widget

- De jure kingdoms can now assimilate into empires

- Fixed a bug with the Crusade CB where the kingdom title was usurped even if the holder was not involved

- Fixed a bug with the 'other_claim' CB where, on success, a title could be broken out of the top realm of the attacker

- Fixed a bug with the 'other_claim' CB where it would make the claimants your vassals when it should not

- Fixed some bugs in the new regency events

- The hostility of attached armies is now determined by the army they are attached to

- A very high opinion of the liege now has a greater effect on reducing the revolt risk

- Can't pick intrigue plots against people with no possible backers (lacking courtiers)

- No longer possible to revoke religious head titles, or plot to do so

- Halved the Varangian Guard in strength

- Removed some more initial Byzantine holdings

- Reduced the initial Crown Authority of the Byzantine Empire a bit

- Increased the initial Crown Authority of the Seljuk Turks and Mauretania

- Fixed a bug with dynasty 715 having a historical CoA when it should not

- Fixed another issue with de jure assimilation

- Vassals in revolt who _attack_ an outside state will no longer make their pre-war liege hostile to the target

- Fixed an issue with too many plots being evaluated for the quick plot button in the Character View

- Fixed another issue with huge plot power values due to the wrong cached military power

- Should no longer be possible to attach armies to navies in port

- AI: Should never try to revoke titles off landless vassals (Varangian Guard, etc)

- AI: Even more likely join a plot with the same goal a character is already plotting for, if the plot power of the asker is higher

- Added trigger 'yearly_income'

- Asking the Pope for an Indulgence now costs a minimum of 25 gold

- Fixed a rare crash when a plot target died while you were inviting a backer in the Diplo View

Those with Steam might like to copy their CK2 folder into a differnt location as there seems to be a few problems with the game since the update.....

That way you can still play v1.05c if v1.05d doesn't work for you.

I've also been following a newbie guide thread over at PI and this guy is supposed to have made a great series of YouTube tutorial videos. I haven't checked them out personally yet, but he is getting a great deal of praise from newcomers and vets alike!

I'll have to check it out. :)

I want to play an inbred, ugly, blind, clubfooted dwarven hunchback with a stutter.

Just do a demogame with con.

Well crap. I didn't realize my motherboard had an AGP slot for video card, not PCIe. Older than I thought. Sigh. Looks like the only way I will be able to play the demo (until I can afford a new computer) is on my slloooowww laptop.

CK2 question for all you who are playing. When you have people plotting against you do you imprison them or ask them nicely to stop?

The more I play the more I just use the end plot option. There are exceptions to this. Usually if I think I stand to benefit from revoking a title or need some quick cash from ransom. Last night I started playing as a newly crowned king and I swear every noble in the damn realm had a plot or was backing a plot. If I had just started imprisoning I would have probably had 5 wars and a full dungeon. So to maintain peace I just asked everyone nicely to stop. This is different from when I first started playing and at the first hint of disloyalty I would slap them in the dungeon and give their lands to someone else.

I'm mostly using the end plot button.