Alexander

Crusader Kings II: I'm Starting to Get Excited

1,497 posts in this topic

Not an option per se, but sometimes when you take an enemy's fief, you get some gold. Cities cough up the most.

Hey, techmeisters! A friend at work is selling his old laptop (same as this one listed I think) Do you think this could run CivIV, CivV and/or CK2? Please state thoughts about chances of running each game. I've looked at the links you guys posted but it all looks like gobbledigook to me!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=459563150

Cheers in advance.

It will run Civ4 and Civ5 well. As for CK2, the graphics card has a low score on the chart, so I'm not sure. I *think* it will run CK2, but I can't promise it. If you ask on Paradox's forums directly, they have some very knowledgable tech support guys there who will be able to answer much better than me.

Wow, I didn't realise that CK2 was more demading than CivV!

Shame if it is, because PI could reach a much larger audience by having a low graphics mode. As beautiful as the graphics are, they are not 'necessary' to play the game as far as I can see.

Thanks for posting over at PI. I wouldn't have known where to post that question! :b:

Yes, I too am surprised.

I'd like to buy Skyrim one day, but I'm not sure my graphics card would handle it. In fact, I don't even know what graphics cared I have. That was one reason I went with CK2; it has a free demo, so I can see that it runs. With Skycrack, not so.

I've been able to run the demo on a HD4670 @ 1680x1050, so i'd expect a HD4650 would be able to run it at 1366x768.

By what I can find, system requirements for Civ5 and CK2 aren't far apart, but Civ5 has higher requirements. For both AMD and Nvidia, the GPU required for Civ5 is a generation newer then it is for CK2...

Also the CPU requirement is only a Pentium 4 for CK2 and a quadcore for Civ5.

A thing to bear in mind: PI give system reqs for what is needed to run their games WELL. Other companies usually give requirements that are barely playable. As for CK2's graphics, it's not only bell and whistles. Their graphics engine is made for maximum moddability, and also let the graphics card take some calculations, I don't know which, that the processor needed to take care of in their old engine. So I'm happy they use that engine. :)

A thing to bear in mind: PI give system reqs for what is needed to run their games WELL. Other companies usually give requirements that are barely playable. As for CK2's graphics, it's not only bell and whistles. Their graphics engine is made for maximum moddability, and also let the graphics card take some calculations, I don't know which, that the processor needed to take care of in their old engine. So I'm happy they use that engine. :)

While I think it's very good to give system requirements that run the game well, instead of the absolute minimum (like what 2K does), it only makes my point stronger ;)

And you're right about the engine of CKII. It runs shiny graphics and a smooth game with low requirements! :b:

Hmm, this one comes with a rank of 1007 on Nikolai's chart link. It is a little over what I wanted to spend, but not too bad I guess. Now the question is...does it work for this game? ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-nVIDIA-GeForce-Express-9JDYJ/dp/B005JZQWEO/ref=sr_1_28?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1335384629&sr=1-28

Its better than the 8800 according to the reviews and probably the best one in youre price range however it dosnt come with any drivers so unless its going into a windows 7 machine you will have to get the drivers from nvidia.

whatever you deside its best to uninstall the old cards drivers/software before removing and replacing it also theres tons of complaints on 2k forums relating to bugs with nvidia cards in civ v so if it was me I would get a ATI card and spend no less than $70 on one.

Also many new GPUs may require you to upgrade the PCs PSU because some need a lot of power directly into the top of the Card

I Think its time for a seperate section for CK or paradox in general Its getting harder to find any other games in the other games section now :D

You think? I'm of the feeling that putting us in a subforum might limit our exposure to other gamers. Let's see how long the interest lasts. Personally I haven't been this excited about a strategy game since CivIV!

And is that a royal 'us' Con? Or are you taking the plunge too? ;)

Well I sort of took the plunge. I did play several start up games over last weekend. Its a fun improvement over CK IMHO. But I probably won't be doing an DAR's anytime soon. I got a couple of other things on my plate for the weekends right now.

I Think its time for a seperate section for CK or paradox in general Its getting harder to find any other games in the other games section now :D

I concur.

Its better than the 8800 according to the reviews and probably the best one in youre price range however it dosnt come with any drivers so unless its going into a windows 7 machine you will have to get the drivers from nvidia.

whatever you deside its best to uninstall the old cards drivers/software before removing and replacing it also theres tons of complaints on 2k forums relating to bugs with nvidia cards in civ v so if it was me I would get a ATI card and spend no less than $70 on one.

Also many new GPUs may require you to upgrade the PCs PSU because some need a lot of power directly into the top of the Card

I decided to go ahead and purchase the card. Thanks for the advice about removing the old software first. It has been a while since I replaced a graphics card myself.

Not an option per se,

Can't even properly pillage. :q:

Can't even properly pillage. :q:

What's not proper about doing it automagically?:p No choice, as the leaders then had no choice.;)

UnO comes from a background where he oversaw a team of pirates and a team of mercenaries in Civ democracy games. I think he may be part viking. Pillaging is in his blood. :cute:

What's not proper about doing it automagically?:p No choice, as the leaders then had no choice.;)

Pillaging is NOT gold on top of taking the city. It's taking the valuables FROM the city and leaving the decrepit shell for the owner to deal with all the displaced/starving/annoyed populace, thus leaving his resources further stretched to do more pillaging. It's actually somewhat boggling it's not an option in some form.

And there have been 3 team mercenaries. Technically 4, but GoW was 'mercenary' only as a publicity stunt.

While waiting for my new video card I'm watching some of the Let's Play videos Rob posted. Currently watching the Denmark series. Is that a good one, or are there better ones out there? This guy seems to just be learning as he goes.

Thanks. :) Missed that one somehow.

Pillaging is NOT gold on top of taking the city. It's taking the valuables FROM the city and leaving the decrepit shell for the owner to deal with all the displaced/starving/annoyed populace, thus leaving his resources further stretched to do more pillaging. It's actually somewhat boggling it's not an option in some form.And there have been 3 team mercenaries. Technically 4, but GoW was 'mercenary' only as a publicity stunt.
Talking the city does NOT mean you take over the city. In most cases, you only get the gold when peace is concluded. All wars need a casus belli, which is limited in its scope. You get no less, no more. :)

I dont like this game played a bit but the amount of micro involved is just too much for me