Alexander

Crusader Kings II: I'm Starting to Get Excited

1,497 posts in this topic

Awesome! Thanks for looking into it. I appreciate it. :b:

I didn't want to buy it if it didn't meet the requirements, but like I said I don't want to spend a lot of money on a card right now.

See my edit. I might have spoken too soon. Min req is 8800.

Okie doke. New card ordered. It looks like I'll be able to start playing the demo on Friday. :D

See my edit. I might have spoken too soon. Min req is 8800.

**** Do you think it will still play it?

Okay, I was able to cancel my order quick.

I'm sorry if I made trouble for you Roth. I misread the number 8400 for 8800. Really sorry. :( But on the upside, PI games tend to play even on machines that are in theory too low. So yes, I think so.

Whoa! Glad you could do that after ordering. :relief:

What's your financial limit? I had a HD 3870 before, it ran the game well. It's a four or five year old card, so it should be pretty cheap too.

The one I just linked to was a HD5450 for $30. That is about all I'd really like to spend at the moment.

HD 5450 is a low range card in a two generation newer series than mine old. That one is bad though. If you look at this benchmark chart, you'll see that that card gets half the points of 8800. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ you'll see that GeForce 8800 at the lowest model gets 700s in points. So aim for one better than that. My old card got 900something.

I see Amazon has cards around 50 usd that would be good enough. A little over your point though.

Question for anyone able to answer:

What are the optimal ways of improving the cash flow of your kingdom? Building markets seems to have a relatively negligible effect.

Build markets, wooden palisade/castle walls in your castles. Raise the taxes on towns under the laws tab. While not quite as efficient you can upgrade the financial buildings in the towns. Also, unless I"m mistaken, the happier the mayors are the more money they will give you. Another big thing is to make sure your bishops love you more than the Pope. My court chaplain spends most of his time cruising around talking me up and slandering the Pope so they will tithe to me instead.

Hmm, looks like the only ones in my current price range suck on that g3d rating

What are the optimal ways of improving the cash flow of your kingdom? Building markets seems to have a relatively negligible effect.

Prioritise building in your own demesne rather than your vassals. Own the cash rich counties.

Graphics card is not my expertise anyhow, so if anyone else has thoughts it would be great. I do believe the benchmarks is a good guideline though. I wouldn't get more than two quarter pounder menus for 30 bucks though, so for me 45 usd sounds okay enough.

What about a second hand card?

What about a second hand card?

I might look into that.

I also usually follow benchmarks. A favorite site of mine are http://www.tomshardware.com and (Dutch) http://www.tweakers.net.

In your case I would basically check the minimum requirements, go one above, check the benchmark and look for cards that are affordable with about the same benchmark score.

For what I can find, it's basically the same card as a 8800, just a newer edition with some upgrades and therefore might perform better in some area's. It therefore should be enough to play CKII at minimum graphics.

Building markets is a long-term strategy. You're building an ocean, one drop of water at a time. You only have to build a castle village once, but it will pay off forever and ever. :)

Best moderate way to get money is to raise city taxes. Cities are revenue engines, so raising taxes there has the biggest effect.

For short-term cash, the best strategy is war. Take and pillage an opponent's cities, plus ransom his captured noblemen.

When breaking up evil plots, don't warn the evildoer off. Bust them, and then ransom them.

When breaking up evil plots, don't warn the evildoer off. Bust them, and then ransom them.

:b:

Or set them free for an opinion gain....

Take and pillage an opponent's cities...

Is there a pillage option I've been missing?