Alexander

Crusader Kings II: I'm Starting to Get Excited

1,497 posts in this topic

Alright, I'm not reading this thing, but I've seen many threads that make no sense to me.

Can someone explain this to a guy who has never played a paradox game before? ("Oh, it's a paradox game" is the usual answer)

I liked TW series, but hated all the marrying and heirs, and annoying crap. This game appears to be nothing but the annoying crap? Does it just do it better?

I liked TW series, but hated all the marrying and heirs, and annoying crap. This game appears to be nothing but the annoying crap? Does it just do it better?

Well, if you're looking for an action game or a Total War-style battle sim with gripping visceral battles, then no, this is not your game. CK2 is all about political intrigue. You still build stuff, you still fight battles, you assassinate people almost to the point of absurdity... but it's definitely on the strategic level, not the tactical.

You can always play the demo and see for yourself. :) There are also oodles of CK2 AARs both here and elsewhere which could give you a good sampling. My personal AAR is linked back in post 10.

Do I even what to know how that happened?? Medievalites took their religion very seriously. I learned your lesson less painfully with Apulia. Apulia starts off half-Catholic and half-Orthodox, but there's a natural tendency to expand into Sicily, and so then it's 1/3 Catholic, 1/3 Orthodox, and 1/3 Muslim. :dizzy:

I found a landed bacherlorette with huuuuuuge....tracts of land. I married away my hopeful heir. He moved over there and must have liked his spouse so much that he converted(you can ask people to convert if they like you enough and is in your court or is your vassal). I managed to convert him back once, but he reconverted soon after. And then he got a baby, which I couldn't convert since it was a child. Then I died.

Hmmph, looks like I won't be able to play this game after all. My ancient laptop doesn't have the processor speed for the minimum. Everything works it is just very, very slow. My ancient desktop meets and/or exceeds all minimum specs, but I can't get any graphics to show up for some reason. The music works fine, and the pointer arrow comes up, but the rest of the screen is black.

Any thoughts/suggestions? :)

Sounds like your graphics card is not supported. It needs to have PixelShader 3.0.

Alright, I'm not reading this thing, but I've seen many threads that make no sense to me.

Can someone explain this to a guy who has never played a paradox game before? ("Oh, it's a paradox game" is the usual answer)

Paradox games are terribly complex, wildly realistic, and don't give you a whole lot of instruction. So, especially when you're still a noob, it's kinda like being a blind man in a nudist colony: You don't really know what you're doing, but you keep bumping into these really nice features. :)

IMO, the battles are the least interesting part of the game; they're not that realistic, and they're overly simplistic. The real excitement come for the interaction between the characters. I've never played TW, so I can't tell you if this is the same crap you ran into there, or whether it is done well enough to raise itself above the crap level.

Edit: Oh wait. "Tek" does a great "Let's Play." He does an excellent job of explaining what he's doing and why. It's give you a good idea of what the game's like.

Edited by Zkribbler

Its an improved CK1.

If you don't like managing your Dynasty (marriages, etc.), don't get it UnO.

I agree with con, if you don't like grand strategy games like PI makes, but want unrealistic action "strategy" games, go for TW.;) But it must be said that the management part of the TW series compared to CK2 is like comparing the complexity of a toothpick with a car.;)

Yeah CK is almost the complete opposite of battle-focused strat games (although it does have way too much combat to be a true 'simulation' of the period in general - it is still a 'war game' in that you will be fighting lots of wars).

CK is realy all about the people and their interactions. "Will this bride accept my marriage proposal? I hope so as she has large assets (stats) and tracks of land i desire!" etc. Diplomacy (of sorts) in otherwords. So in that respect it is a more realistic simulation of the medieval world that most 'simple' all out war games give you, but for sure if you don't rock playing at diplomacy and the intrigues of characters actions and re-actions, then it might push you back to something like the Total War games. :nod:

There is a demo for CKII to try out:

http://www.crusaderkings.com/media/demos

Sounds like your graphics card is not supported. It needs to have PixelShader 3.0.

Hmm, the old thing has an ATI Radeon 9600. I thought that was enough, but maybe not.

Wow. That card is from 2003. I'm afraid it's too old. It also has way too little RAM. As a rule of thumb, any card not older than 5-6 years is safe.

Heh, I thought I had replaced it a few years ago with a newer one, but I guess not. Or maybe that was the newer one. Like I said, it's an ancient beast. My laptop can run the graphics, but the processor is only 1.83 dual core. Sigh. They were great computers when I purchased them... 8 and 7 years ago respectively.

On the upside, any computer bought today, no matter the price, will run the game. :) hehe, remember not long ago, when a computer had run its life cycle after a mere three years?

Yeah CK is almost the complete opposite of battle-focused strat games (although it does have way too much combat to be a true 'simulation' of the period in general - it is still a 'war game' in that you will be fighting lots of wars).

CK is realy all about the people and their interactions. "Will this bride accept my marriage proposal? I hope so as she has large assets (stats) and tracks of land i desire!" etc. Diplomacy (of sorts) in otherwords. So in that respect it is a more realistic simulation of the medieval world that most 'simple' all out war games give you, but for sure if you don't rock playing at diplomacy and the intrigues of characters actions and re-actions, then it might push you back to something like the Total War games. :nod:

There is a demo for CKII to try out:

http://www.crusaderkings.com/media/demos

REALISTIC? Bah. I see hooded death (NOT grim reaper) depicted in 11ish BC Ireland. Ludicrous is more like it. :p

"Diplomacy" with computers is NEVER handled well. (fill up some stupid ticker somewhere till they acquiesce to your demands OR dogpile the human!) And tends to suck as a result. (but then there are those that don't like diplomacy with me in MP either...) Maybe TW was a bad choice to compare. How's it compared to Dominions III?

11th century AD... if that makes any difference. ;)

11th century AD... if that makes any difference. ;)

Nope, not really. It's still 5 centuries too early.

Well. Syphilis is in the game...:p

Not actually having it, take it with the grain of salt it is offered.

It is like the old board game Diplomacy.

From a Civ PoV, it is the uber builder type.

Not actually having it, take it with the grain of salt it is offered.

It is like the old board game Diplomacy.

From a Civ PoV, it is the uber builder type.

Dunno... I've probably fought more wars and assassinated more people than I've built buildings in this game. In Civ, I'm typically a builder. :p

Well. Syphilis is in the game...:p

I noticed that too. :huh: History tells us it was first brought to Europe by Columbus's crew. But hey, maybe the Vikings brought it back. :viking:

The more I play this game the more awesome it becomes!

It's like an onion - the basic game mechanics are fairly simple, but the depth of intrigue and diplomacy is sooooo deep. I'm picking up tricks all the time that I play the Succession Game, peeling away layers of the game as I go. Sure, you can play it with very little thought, as I did in Ireland (once you get to two or three counties you can bully your way around the island), but as Duke of Salerno I am thinking a lot more about every decision I make, biding my time for the perfect time to act, or so I hope...... ;)

BTW, a cup of tea then I'm declaring war on someone..... :hide:

The more I play this game the more awesome it becomes!

:b: 100% agree!

BTW, a cup of tea then I'm declaring war on someone..... :hide:

Go big or go home. Declare war on the Byzantines!

Hey Nikolai, or any other geek that want to weigh in...I'm not really interested in spending a lot of money to replace a video card on such an old computer, but I really want to play this game and it will be awhile before I can budget an outlay for a new computer (need a new bed first - ours is 10 years old). Is the following video card something that could play this game?

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Express-Graphics-512-P3-1300-LR/dp/B004BQKQ8A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335379975&sr=1-1

It's an old card, but it meets all requirements. :)

Edit: never mind. Not sure. Minimum requirement are 8800, the big brother I guess.