Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zoid

Israel scared shitless by second Gaza aid flotilla

8 posts in this topic

Of course they're scared! The murders of 9 activists by IDF in the first flotilla caused major uproar and condemnation and prompted an ease of the Gaza blockade. Who knows what will happen this time? If they let the flotilla through it's a major propaganda defeat and if they board the flotilla killing more people it will release a massive torrent of condemnation from the international community.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/israel-ramps-up-campaign-against-gaza-aid-flotilla/2011/06/28/AG59dbpH_story.html

They will board it without casualties. They're prepared for violence this time.

There won't be any violence, and there wasn't last time either. IDF claims there was and will be because this will excuse their use of brutal force against a non-violent aid mission... Really Harovan, I thought you of all people would spot government lies and propaganda... :(

Sorry to disappoint, Zoid, but I stopped to believe the propaganda of both sides in this conflict long ago. While I don't think the use of firearms was as necessary as Israel claims, I'm not buying the story of Israel firing without provocation either. Following long term observations of both sides in the whole conflict, most likely there was violence, and Israel overreacted, as always.

Israel may be reckless, but they aren't dumb. After the PR disaster last year, this time I bet they'll come with plexiglass shields, pepper spray and batons rather than firearms. And with camera teams. There won't be any violence on both sides (or else there will be sharp footage in the news). The activists will get arrested and released a few days later. The whole convoy goes to Ashdod, the construction materials are confiscated (perhaps not even all) and the rest is delivered to Gaza in trucks. Not telling it's a good thing, but that's what I see coming.

the convoy doesnt even have to go to Ashdod - the egyptians are also offering El Arish. Personally I think its gotten silly - I don't trust the Egyptians will keep missiles out of Gaza anyway (they certainly aren't going to stop anything else), so might as well end the maritime blockade and thus weaken the claim that Gaza is "occupied". WHEN the missiles are fired from Gaza, hit back that much harder, since no one claim Israel has the obligations of an occupying power.

By the way for her last few months in Israel, POTM was living in Yeroham, a small town south of Beersheva. Her program wouldnt let them visit Beersheva except to transfer buses, cause rockets were being fired at beersheva from Gaza.

As I've said several times before, the only way to stop this madness is to accept a palestinian state and for both sides to put a leash on their extremists. This means no more Hamas and no more settlements. If both sides put aside their arrogance, mistrust and unwillingness to compromise this WILL work. But the ball is with Israel, as the occupying power...

As I've said several times before, the only way to stop this madness is to accept a palestinian state and for both sides to put a leash on their extremists. This means no more Hamas and no more settlements. If both sides put aside their arrogance, mistrust and unwillingness to compromise this WILL work. But the ball is with Israel, as the occupying power...

Israel hasnt built a new settlement in the West bank in years (of course they withdrew from the settlements in Gaza half a decade ago). They arent going to withdraw from the existing settlements unilaterally - they will do so for a deal that includes an end to the conflict and recognition by all the major arab states (esp KSA) And THAT wont happen until all the issues about final borders, refugees, etc are resolved. Which wont hhappen till there are negotiations (and may not happen easily even then, given recent past experience)

So its incorrect to say that the ball is "in Israels court" though I think Bibi would have served Israel better to pursue negotiations more aggressively over the last couple of years.

Edited by Lord of the Mark

Don't bring the rockets any closer...