Rhoth

WPC Civ4 Diplogame set-up thread

1,324 posts in this topic

Hopes the mod is steam friendly and also agrees with zoid this should be a game of chance maybe just stick with the premade civ maps fractal or something none of this equal resourses nonsence it would take forever (not a problem) if everyone had metal caps or something like that

anyway I wanna be Mali

Let's start discussing ideas for the map.

We can do a random script map, like fractal or big & small or whatever (or at least choose one that is reasonable and edit it a bit to make it fairer, etc, as I don't suggest doing a fractal-esque map at random because they can come out really unbalanced).

Or, we can do a real-world map. Ideas for those (personal favs bolded):

Peninsular:

The Peloponnese
(and/or Thessaly/Aetolia/etc)

The Italian Peninsula (or a segment, like Latium/Etruria)

The Korean Peninsula

Inland Sea:

The Mediterranean (the map is already done and balanced! But a few players might not want to do 2 Med games at once)

The Caribbean (with a pirate theme, of course)

The Baltic Sea (with a Viking theme, of course)

The Chesapeake Bay area

Puget Sound area
(very interesting geography, lots of forests, should be fairly green, good hill coverage, generally awesome, and I can get a highly detailed map to work off of from the USGS)

Pangaea:

The Indian Subcontinent (it has clear borders on all sides, will be good land)

The Caucasus

China

Central Europe

The American Colonies

The Balkans

The Po Valley (so-so geography, fairly flat save the borders)

The Yangtze Valley
(decent geography)

The Danube Valley (will have more interesting geography than Po)

Continents/Islands:

Japan

Corsica & Sardinia

Crete

The UK

XYZ continent

XYZ archipelago or island chain

I omitted places that would be heavy in jungles or would have fairly dull geography (like SE Asia or Mesopotamia, respectively), and aimed for places with some historic or modern importance or particularly intriguing geography. I think it's important to choose a place that's fairly fertile with deciduous forest cover to speed up the game a bit, especially if you guys want 24H timers (I'm still not committed to such a game either, btw).

Thanks DNK. I keep meaning to collect some of this stuff, but I don't have much experience with modded maps (usually going with random).

So everyone...start voting for your favorites. :D

Central Europe. :p It's pretty much made for rich diplomacy and lots of different conflicts, as the history of the last 2000 years shows.

hmm Central Europe sounds fun but The Mediterranian sounds Warmer :)

I do like the sound of Puget Sound. Mediterranean would be awesome too, but if we have ongoing Med players I wouldn't want to make them do the same map twice. :)

Be warned that St. Jon really hates real world maps.

I, however, love them. And am very glad to finally, after like 6 years, be playing in a real world diplogame with Civ4.

My top pick would be a United States map. I've got a good one that could be a lot of fun. Especially if DNK sets up some navigable rivers. We are going to try out navigable rivers in the Med game, but it is kind of a waste since most of the players start near a large body of water anyhow. But with the US there are some spots that are deep inland that would really depend on those big rivers. I'd love to see some custom civs too to fit with the map. I'd LOVE to see a game of New York vs. Texas vs. Michigan, etc. That'd be a hell of a lot of fun. :) I did, at one point, try making a full on mod called These Fractured States of America which is based on the idea that the US didn't unify and that there were lots of different countries in place of the USA. I'd love to play out something similar. If you guys wanted to do this I'd be 100% in. :)

Other options I'd be ok with: Caribbean, Japan, the UK, or Italy.

Let's start discussing ideas for the map.

We can do a random script map, like fractal or big & small or whatever (or at least choose one that is reasonable and edit it a bit to make it fairer, etc, as I don't suggest doing a fractal-esque map at random because they can come out really unbalanced).

Or, we can do a real-world map. Ideas for those (personal favs bolded):

Peninsular:

The Peloponnese
(and/or Thessaly/Aetolia/etc)

The Italian Peninsula (or a segment, like Latium/Etruria)

The Korean Peninsula

Inland Sea:

The Mediterranean (the map is already done and balanced! But a few players might not want to do 2 Med games at once)

The Caribbean (with a pirate theme, of course)

The Baltic Sea (with a Viking theme, of course)

The Chesapeake Bay area

Puget Sound area
(very interesting geography, lots of forests, should be fairly green, good hill coverage, generally awesome, and I can get a highly detailed map to work off of from the USGS)

Pangaea:

The Indian Subcontinent (it has clear borders on all sides, will be good land)

The Caucasus

China

Central Europe

The American Colonies

The Balkans

The Po Valley (so-so geography, fairly flat save the borders)

The Yangtze Valley
(decent geography)

The Danube Valley (will have more interesting geography than Po)

Continents/Islands:

Japan

Corsica & Sardinia

Crete

The UK

XYZ continent

XYZ archipelago or island chain

I omitted places that would be heavy in jungles or would have fairly dull geography (like SE Asia or Mesopotamia, respectively), and aimed for places with some historic or modern importance or particularly intriguing geography. I think it's important to choose a place that's fairly fertile with deciduous forest cover to speed up the game a bit, especially if you guys want 24H timers (I'm still not committed to such a game either, btw).

This is a real great area to play:

knipsel24214.gif

Greece, Asia Minor, Bosporus, Crete

Got it all: history, mountains, sea, islands, geographical barriers, equal changes, etc..

Athens, Troy, Sparta, Crete, Thebes etc. etc.

For storylines one can get a lot of inspiration from Greek mythodology, Odyssee, Illias, greek history etc..

I'd prefer, if we are going with a real world map, to play in an area of rich historical background. I'd favour something around the Med as it's familiar territory for me and would get my juices flowing easier; either that or something like Japan or Yantze as I'd then have to put that bloody Facebook game aside, get some books out and learn some more about these areas!!! ;)

I've always wanted to play a diplogame, but I haven't got much experience in MP Civ4. I'll be having exams and holidays until the end of july though, so I could be a sub from august onwards, if that's OK.

I'd enjoy Calanthian's Greece map. I've always enjoyed Greek mythology.

I've always wanted to play a diplogame, but I haven't got much experience in MP Civ4. I'll be having exams and holidays until the end of july though, so I could be a sub from august onwards, if that's OK.

Great! I think half the people in the game I'm playing on Poly started out as subs, including me.

My problems with a US or Central Europe map are that they are more lacking in geography than other maps. By "geography", I mean some interconnected body of water and lots of strategic spots. Certainly, Central Europe has mountains and rivers, but I feel for a diplo game that it's better to have some major body of water interconnecting everyone, as we have (mostly) in DoE. That's why a good inland sea/island/peninsular map is preferred by me. If you have a mostly land map without that connection, then everyone's diplomacy and strategy becomes way more dominated by bordering neighbors, as where else are you going to expand?

A solid water-dominated map with good colony locations is a must, imo. That will also allow wars to be fought more over colonies than over core areas, which is more in keeping with the diplo spirit. You can see in DoE that a good portion of the conflicts have been centered on colonies or distant holdings rather than core ones, even if there have been crushing core attacks as well. Finding a map which would further emphasize that approach would fit the nature of the game.

The Aegean inland sea map of Calanthian would work well, as it would be a more naval map with lots of islands to colonize and fight over. It also has lots of history to play out, and we can choose to make it a normal inland sea map or a "terra map" where Asia Minor is unoccupied at the start (although this will require some solid civ placements and map tinkering to make balanced).

Puget sound would also work well for that, although it's lacking in the history of Greece, but we can make more navigable waterways with that than with the Aegean (although we can still place a few in there).

I found a civ map of the Greece, Asia Minor and Crete region and it's good ;)

knipsel23566.gif

Only civs have to be placed, and maybe some resources shuffled..

Civs which should be in:

Sparta, Thebes, Athens, Crete, Macedonia (Pella), Epirus, Troy, Milete, Lydia (Sardis)

Some question marks:

Thracia, Thessaly, Corinth, Pergamon, Rhodes, Illyria.

PS. If you should choose to play this one, I'm in ;)

PS 2. And I am willing to do the 'map stuff'

Hellas.rar

Edited by Calanthian

An inland sea type of map is acceptable. But I don't like plain maps that end abruptly. Destroys immersion.

With Greece, maybe find a map that includes eastern italy as well, so there's two options for expansion?

I'm ok with that Greece map, but just to make one last pitch for a US map, here is a rough idea of it:

USA Map.jpg

My ideas for civs are: New York, Virginia (or USA), Illinois, Confederate States of America, Texas, Apache (or Mexico), California, Oregon, Chinook, Sioux, Canada, Iroquois.

I like Ozzy's US idea but it seems best suited to a straight War Game. A team War Game maybe? A possible idea for the future with individuals ruling states in the Civil War working together but always with the option of betrayal. Not really a Diplo but it could be great fun.

I am no map maker, so sadly make no real contribution in that department, but I remember an old board game I used to play about 30 years ago called Machiavelli. That was based upon the Italian States and their intrigues which would be custom made for Diplo. Greece, North Africa, the Dalmatian Coast and the Levant would all be included as the Venetians and Genoans roamed far and wide. France and Austria would be too powerful but they could be AI Super-Powers to give the naturally stronger Northern Italian States a reason to watch their backs. It is only an idea.

As for another idea. Has anyone ever devised an African scenario? Civ has only ever included a few African civilisations but they were myriad and date back to the beginning of time. It seems a little sad that it should be ignored as there you have not just huge land mass but also a vast amount of ocean. Armies and navies would find a home to play in.

I don't like the idea of a landlocked game like the US one.

I also prefer a game with something like an inland sea. Or at least trying to connect all civ's by water, the Greek one could accomplish that as well

Voting so far:

Greece map/Mediterranean/Inland Sea:

Calanthian

Rhothaerill

Bantams

Rob Worham

DNK

Donald

Central Europe:

Harovan (accepts inland sea)

United States:

OzzyKP (accepts Greece)

St. Jon

Puget Sound:

Kloreep (accepts mediterranean)

Haven't voted yet:

Beta

Viking

Fed1943

andydog

At the moment it looks like the Greece map (or mediterranean or some type of inland sea) is the preferred choice by most, and acceptable to those who voted for something else.

Also we need thoughts on the mod that DNK proposed (regarding adding more diplomatic options and the ability to sell units, etc.) I'm personally for it. :D

Would be completely new for me, but sounds like fun! So I'm for it. That is, if it's possible to use with a steam version of BTS :)

Would be completely new for me, but sounds like fun! So I'm for it. That is, if it's possible to use with a steam version of BTS :)

That I don't know. Does anyone know how mods work with Steam? I assume it would be fine, but I can't say that for certain.

I'm not a huge fan of modded MP games, but I'd rather be in this game than not, so I'll go along with the majority.