Lancer

compi problemz

42 posts in this topic

Using the wife's ancient laptop which seems to have picked up some unwanted stuff over the years. That combined with swiping wifi at some great distance is a prob. Got internet scheduled and then I want to use this comp to order a new comp from goodegg or tiger direct. So, nice if it works better. Posting is a task...

Pop ups when i first start up 'blah.exe' is trying to access the internet. How do i terminate blah?

It loads pages I didn't ask for and redirects me.

I ran AVG which took out 3 viruses but the above still occurs. Loading AVG updates tonight when the net speeds up.

Advice?

Keeping advice to something relevant would be helpful but not required.

Edited by Lancer

Format the Hard drive and reinstall windows would be my Advice

Yes, I'd be inclined to format the HD too, especially if a cursory virus scan hasn't already done the trick. Thing is, you will then have to re-download a bunch of security updates for it, especially if it's XP.

That said, if you're determined to keep the current install (perhaps you don't have an OS install CD, or bandwidth is limited - or perhaps you're just stubborn? ;)) the free version of Malware Bytes is a frequently recommended scrubbing program that you can try on top of your normal anti-virus program.

Yep Malware bytes, also SuperAntiSpyware and Emsisoft are all good malware scanners and cleaners(and free). I'd also consider a 'second opinion' on the Anti-Virus scanner front, try one of the online scanner things, like these:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Kaspersky's online scanner is currently being upgraded, so is off line. You could always download one of the 30day trial versions> uninstall AVG> install the trial version> scan+clean any nasties>unistall trial>re-install AVG.

That kind of thing. Also go hang out at some tech-geek forums for specific help, like here:

http://forums.techguy.org/

---------------------------------

It can be a long and hard road. I recently spent 3 days trying to 'fix' someones infected PC. But after all the hoops and options, i had to do a reformat as some of the stuff 'out there' on the internet these days is really nasty and persistant. Good luck!!

This is great help, thanks guys!

:D Thanks to this thread, I updated my anti-virus program, and the subsequent scan revealed an evil anti-popup-blocker unblocker embedded on my computer. It has now been neutralized. :bandana:

Keeping 'upto date' is a right pain in the butt ;)

For now having SAS and Malwarebytes as specific malware scanners to sit alongside your AV choice is one of the better combo's around(not perfect as there are still lots of specific rootkits that require individual fixes, stuff talked about in places like that forum i linked to etc). SAS will run in a resident/on boot up mode by default, as in it will load up in the taskbar on boot up(but that can be changed in it's options if you need to), but Malwarebytes just sits on your desktop as an on-demand scanner. Both are good bits of malware fighting kit :yes:

In terms of the changes of AV choices, Norton has generaly reclaimed the top spot after years in the wilderness as a pretty aweful AV scanner. It is still paid for software however, but for something that is now very effective and pretty much 'idiot proof'(you install it and forget about it, it does eveything itself), there are not many other options as good. For nearly a decade(until 2009 onwards really) one of my first bits of advice was for people to dump Norton as all the tests showed it was rubbish. Not now.

For free stuff and you have some great choices, AVG, AVAST, AVIRA, MSE etc. For more info on decent free stuff this is a good site:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/top-freeware-picks-category-editors.htm

But really once you get a bad infection, ie you start to find lots of nasty stuff with a variety of scanners, you notice your PC doing weird stuff and even after scanning and cleaning you still have odd behaviours; well your best bet is the nuke from orbit approach and a reformat and clean reinstall of windows :(

If worse comes to worse, you can follow my lead and buy you a cute little computer notebook. Mine only costs a few hundred bucks, and is good for posting to the internet and storing pix. You can play games on it tho, 'cause there's no disk drives. And I'm sure that the video card (if any) is lousy.

...You can play games on it tho, 'cause there's no disk drives. And I'm sure that the video card (if any) is lousy...

That's where something like Steam comes to the rescue. :nod:;)

I'm waiting for the end-of-year sales...and waiting, and waiting. Is it December yet?

Well, it's nearly winter in the southern hemisphere, isn't it? :D

While that is true, I'm in the northern hemisphere. :p

Don't you have monsoon saleouts in the Phils? :cute:

Ah, thought you were in the Philippines with Lancer.

I are in the Philippines, but they are in the northern hemisphere.

I'm not with Lancer, 'cause he and Dolores a currently back in Oregon. :crying:

Yup, fact. :(

Bought a Dell XPS 7100 today and a pink Sony Viao for Dolores. Ten working days until delivery.

The 7100 is small so it should fit in a suitcase better.

Didn't buy an HP like I always did before because of the way they treated Dale. :angry:

Edited by Lancer

Lancer, would you ask Dolores what the Visayan word for "cilantro" is? I'm trying to figure out if we can make salsa here.

She says there is no word, they don't use the stuff. Try the spice selections in the mall's grocery stores. They get more western stuff all the time.

Quest is doing a fine job of screwing up the phone and internet. The repair guy is supposed to stop by this morning to fix a phone that we've never had though we ordered it 3 times. Anyway its terribly complicated for them.

The internet I'm swiping is ultra slow if I can get it at all and the comp I'm using has more viruses than a thing with lots of viruses.

If I can find signal I check in,if the comp works.

So if I don't check in you know why, or at least you have a menu of options to select from. :dunno:

Edited by Lancer

BTW: There's a typhoon named Sangda heading for Manila. :zzz: Last year it got hit by, what was it, six or so.

Manila is the typhoon capital of the galaxy. Here in Bohol :zzz: all we get some clouds, "big*" waves, and some drizzle to light rain.

*"big" waves in Garcia-Hernandez = 1 - 1 1/2 feet. :rolleyes:

the comp I'm using has more viruses than a thing with lots of viruses.

A pre-school doorknob?

A Hong Kong bus?

An airplane's ventilation duct?

I bow to your expertise guys, but not too low there Geo so don't try anything funny. ;)

Rusty, we all made our 4 flights without getting sick but then again we didn't visit any preschools.

I'm back. The rain washed out my Internet connection for awhile, and it was a beast to get the company to come out and fix it, but after 1 week, they finally did.

Everything hunky dory in Oregon??