Lemmy

The Steam Sales thread

695 posts in this topic

I like sales. I figure we could use a thread like this for general notifications of good steam deals.

Currently there's a midweek madness thingie going on.

Patrician 4 for example, already had the vanilla version, now i bought the expansion with 75% off.

Tropico 3 is also on sale, which i can certainly recommand to fans of the original.

Save 75% off a large selection of strategy game from Kalypso Media Digital or take advantage of even bigger savings with the Kalypso Strategy Pack in this week's Midweek Madness!Offer ends Thursday at 4pm Pacific Time....

Source: Steam

Almost missed this must remember to check it out tonight

Hearts of Iron II and III are on sale this weekend. I am tempted.

Sir Ralph are you around, didn't you play those? Thoughts?

I'm here (although sick). HoI2 is good but old, HoI3 is crap (Dale will disagree here).

If you want to go with HoI2, you should consider Darkest Hour, it's fan made using the Paradox HoI2 code base, and it is new. It costs only $10 full price on Steam.

HOII Purchased - $4.49 (for the whole thing, complete) makes it hard to resist an impulse (pardon) purchase of something I've thought about for a while. BTS and Patrician 3 will have to wait.

I'm here (although sick). HoI2 is good but old, HoI3 is crap (Dale will disagree here).

If you want to go with HoI2, you should consider Darkest Hour, it's fan made using the Paradox HoI2 code base, and it is new. It costs only $10 full price on Steam.

I wouldn't really disagree. HoI3 + Sempre Fi is a decent game, but HoI2 was definitely the peak of the series. Think of HoI3 as the series Civ5. Some fantastic ideas (especially fronts and delegated control), but just went wrong somewhere. For instance, it still pisses me off they didn't bother to even try to fix supply, and weather just gives stupid results sometimes.

OK Im going to pull the trigger on HOI II. ( TY SR and Dale)

That may even run on my laptop ;)

HoI2 is a very good choice, and once you're done with the stock game, there are scores of mods and scenarios out.

How lazy-friendly is it?

I just don't have time to spend hours micromanaging things...

Not lazy-friendly at all, I'm afraid, UnO. It has quite a learning curve, too.

And having said that, it's interesting to see how con (of all people) can cope with it.

Yeah, generally RTS's don't work for me these days...:(

HoI games aren't really RTS, they're turn based with hourly turns and can, at least in SP, be paused anytime. The time flow just prevents you from having to hit end of turn several thousand times.

Steam now has daily sales, on top of any existing sales. The first of which is Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising for 75% off (US$5)

Yeah, we are in he midst of Steam's Summer sale, which has quite a few deals (daily), but do not buy anything that is not a daily deal since on the last day they will be at the lowest price.

I'm a little miffed that I missed Witcher 2 on day one(daily) for $9.99

HoI2 is a very good choice, and once you're done with the stock game, there are scores of mods and scenarios out.

will the scenarios work with the Steam version? - for RTW, there was some special thing I needed to DL to work with steam and then do some fancy renaming of folders thing - I recall that I never got it to work (not that I tried THAT hard)

I can't comment on the steam version for mods.

The mod method for Hoi2 is to copy your entire install folder and unpack the mod right in the folder, so the mod files overwrite the original, then create a new shortcut to the mod.

BTW, I've had no trouble moving that folder to a whole new PC, so it is pretty self contained. I'm not sure where Steam puts its version though.

Today's specials include Tropico 3 gold for $4.99, and the Diablo 2 clone, Torchlight for $2.99 (ends in about 2 hours)

Nice, missed the first few days, but now Fallout New Vegas is on sale. Might just pick that one up.

I can also recommend Trine, nice platformer with physics, reminds me of the Lost Vikings. Certainly worth the price it's listed at now.

Also see Frozen Synapse, 50% off...looks interesting, but not convinced yet.

Yeah, I already have FNV. I looked at the rest of the bunch and nothing really said buy me.

I'm stupid. Got busy with work and I missed the FNV sale.. :(

I got STALKER - Clear Sky today. Have you played this series? Freaking awesome!