Alexander

The Civilization Quiz Game

3,871 posts in this topic

A recent advance in civilization is the internal combustion engine.

So many advances, so many devopments. I'm looking for answers in terms of engines that ran on fossil fuels, and produced rotational energy. Not explossives powering projectiles. I've attempted to simplify the history of it into general types.

What happened -

1) Italy, 1850's/ Germany, France ,Belgium early 1860s

2) England/ 1878 & Germany 1879

3) Germany /1892 & 1893

4) Germany 1954

That's a rather complex question, isn't it?

3) is probably Diesel.

Exactly right!

Internal combustion engines are complicated machines.

The other 3 types run on gasoline.

Gas turbine engine is not one of them, because it's hard to pin down a date.

For example, it was first patented by an Englishman in 1791, but he never built one.

They used some in a power station in 1895 in Cambridge.

From there it's a maze of theories, patents and protoypes before they come up with something suitable to power an airplane.

Edited by Rusty Edge

That's a rather complex question, isn't it?

Yeah, but I can't ask who invented the internal combustion engine, because a lot of people were working on the same problem at the same time all over the industrial world, most of them putting combustable mixtures into the cylinders of steam engines , some coming up with proposals, others patents, prototypes, and commercial models. It's hard to draw a line without starting a debate.

1), 2) and 4) are gasoline compression engines with electric ignition. What general types of those can you think of ?

4) is probably the Wankel engine

4) is probably the Wankel engine

Yes, the rotary or Wankel engine, uses considerably fewer parts.

1) Tends to be quiet, fuel efficient, and large.

2) Tends to be simple, with a high power to weight ratio, more smoke, and a short engine life.

About an hour left, so here is the final set of clues...

2) Is usally found in chainsaws, snowmobiles, leafblowers, outboard boat motors, and ultralight aircraft.

1) Is found in most everything else, and has a special place to add oil.

A recent advance in civilization is the internal combustion engine.

So many advances, so many devopments. I'm looking for answers in terms of engines that ran on fossil fuels, and produced rotational energy. Not explossives powering projectiles. I've attempted to simplify the history of it into general types.

What happened -

1) Italy, 1850's/ Germany, France ,Belgium early 1860s * The 4 cycle/ four stroke/ Otto cycle engine ( intake, compression, combustion, exhaust ) more efficient with more cylinders.

2) England/ 1878 & Germany 1879* The 2cycle/2 stroke engine. ( Compression and Power ) Intake and exhaust is simultaneous. Runs on a gas and oil mixture, no valves.

3) Germany /1892 & 1893 * Diesel, uses injection to areate the fuel, and high compression to ignite it.

4) Germany 1954

*Wankel or Rotary engine. Technically an Otto cycle engine, but with fewer moving parts and a higher horsepower to weight ratio than piston engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_combustion_engine

I don't have any ideas for questions at this time, so the floor is open.

As the Western Roman Empire declined, its capital moved away from the city of Rome as the emperors sought a more defensible location. What was the new capital of the Western Roman Empire during its last century of existence?

At last an easy one! Ravenna.

At last an easy one! Ravenna.

Thought you'd like that. ;) It's your go.

Keeping within the theme of the last question:

In the aftermath of the fall of Constantinople to the crusaders of the Fourth Crusade, the Byzantine Empire split into three separate states. Which were these states and who of them ultimately reclaimed the City of Men's Desire?

I guess I don't know too much about Medieval Continental European history.

I'd call them Greece, Romania , and the Ottoman Empire, with the Ottomans taking Istanbul. I doubt that I got all of the states named properly.

IIRC they were Epirus, Nikaea and Trebizond, with Nikaea ultimately retaking the City.

IIRC they were Epirus, Nikaea and Trebizond, with Nikaea ultimately retaking the City.

You're up.:)

Where would you find Ineb-Hedj (and what does it refer to)?

Ineb-Hedj is a statue of the pre-Islamic moon goddess worshipped and found in the state of HEDJAZ!

For real!

In a tomb in the Valley of the Kings? Some noble guy from that period?