Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
El_Cid

Huge Earthquake and Tsunami hit Japan!

206 posts in this topic

Monster earthquake hits japan(Godzilla?):

'Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

"A massive earthquake has hit the north-east of Japan, triggering a tsunami that has caused extensive damage.

Japanese television showed cars, ships and even buildings being swept away by a vast wall of water after the 8.9-magnitude earthquake.

The quake has sparked fires in several areas including Tokyo, with at least 15 people reported dead.

It struck about 250 miles (400km) from the capital at a depth of 20 miles. There have been powerful aftershocks.

The tremor hit at 1446 local time (0546 GMT). Seismologists say it is one of the largest earthquakes to hit Japan for many years.

A tsunami warning was extended across the Pacific to include the Philippines, Indonesia, Taiwan, Hawaii, the Pacific coast of Russia and North and South America.

Strong waves hit Japan's Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures, officials said, damaging dozens of coastal communities. Kyodo news agency said a 10-metre wave (33ft) struck the port of Sendai in Miyagi prefecture.

Japan's NHK television showed a massive surge of debris-filled water sweeping away buildings, cars and ships and reaching far inland.

Motorists could be seen trying to speed away from the wall of water."

-------------------

8.9! and a Tsunami! holy crud! And how are Lancer and Zkrib?

No problems here...the northern Philippines were put on tsunami alert, but not us.

I just read that Hawaii & the West Coast of the U.S. are on alert. Anyone have any more news than that?

Edit to add:

MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines' seismic agency raised its tsunami warning alert, advising people to stay away from shorelines in eastern coastal areas on Friday evening, after an 8.9 magnitude quake hit Japan.

"Based on tsunami wave models, coastal areas in Philippine provinces fronting the Pacific Ocean are expected to experience wave heights of at most 1 metre," said Renato Solidum, head of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology.

He said the first wave would arrive between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. (0900-1100 GMT).

It's now 7:25 here, with no signs of unusual happenings. I just looked around outside, and it's low tide now. Even if a 1-meter-high tsunami hit, the base of my seawall wouldn't even get wet.

Edited by Zkribbler

Dolores just came back from Jagna where there's a tsunami alert from 6PM to 9PM. Police were announcing it. It would have to be a pretty clever wave to make it to Bohol which is surrounded by other islands.

9 p.m. now, dang. Still, the Great Zkribblo predicts nothing will happen here. :zzz:

9 p.m. now, dang. Still, the Great Zkribblo predicts nothing will happen here. :zzz:

And the Lord thy God smiled down upon thee, and bestowed thy mighty Title. :thor:

The Japanese are reporting it (last I'd heard) as just 8.4, while the Americans initially reported 7.9, upgraded to 8.8 and again to 8.9

Kyodo news agency said a 10-metre wave (33ft) struck the port of Sendai in Miyagi prefecture.

Now that's a tsunami.

I saw some YouTube footage seen from the air (helicopter).

[video=youtube;vTwnxVIlWss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwnxVIlWss

[video=youtube;czD9TJhIgZ8]

There is now a nuclear power plant where the cooling process has malfunctioned, could end up as bad as Chernobyl according to the norwegian media.

And the Lord thy God smiled down upon thee, and bestowed thy mighty Title. :thor:
Grrreat! :woohoo:

It seems the Nuclear Plant incident is under control. 60 reported dead so far in Japan.

There is now a nuclear power plant where the cooling process has malfunctioned, could end up as bad as Chernobyl according to the norwegian media.

The "news" media is sensationalizing things again...here's Reuters' less-hysterical reporting:

(Reuters) - A cooling system for a nuclear reactor was not working after a powerful earthquake in Japan, prompting the government to declare an emergency situation as a precaution although it said there was no radioactive leakage at present.

Residents that live within a 3 km radius of Tokyo Electric Power's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant have been told to evacuate, Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told a news conference.

TEPCO confirmed that water levels inside the reactors at its Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant were on a falling trend, but added it was working to maintain water levels to avert the exposure of nuclear fuel rods.

The company has been trying to restore power to its emergency power system so that it can add water to the inside of the reactors, a TEPCO spokesman said.

I heard a rumor this morning that Hawaii was being evacuated? It was not one of my proven sources however so I am not giving it much credence.

Anyone heard anything like that?

A 6' wave is supposed to hit the coast where we live in Oregon between 7AM and 7:30. It will very likely go up the river which is maybe 40 meters in front of our house across a slightly rising empty lot. My house in maybe 10' to 12' above river level. Right now Dolores's father is living there but he has been evacuated inland a bit.

"The Old Town area may be hard hit" the report says.

Edited by Lancer

I heard a rumor this morning that Hawaii was being evacuated? It was not one of my proven sources however so I am not giving it much credence.

Anyone heard anything like that?

Many low lying areas are being evacuated either to higher ground or up tall buildings.

It will hit Oregon in about an hour.

Good luck. I can only imagine what it must have been like on japans east coast! It was thousands of times more powerful than the recent NZ quake in christchruch, to put it into perspective!

I'm watching this live feed on the bbc:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

-------------------

My heart goes out to anyone caught up in this monster :(

I have images of that going through my mind as I think if the house I put so much sweat into. I'm sad for the people of Japan who had little time to react. It was all a terrible spectacle until I realized that the Oregon place may be in harms way, then it got personal.

I sold it years ago and am carrying the paper on it. Don't know if the people I sold it to ever got the flood insurance I suggested they get. :dunno:

Got BBC on, what a mess Japan is! So many just lost everything, some no doubt are victims who lost their lives...

It doesn't look like the effect on the U.S. was too bad.

HONOLULU – Tsunami waves swamped Hawaii beaches and brushed the U.S. western coast Friday but didn't immediately cause major damage after devastating Japan and sparking evacuations throughout the Pacific.

Kauai was the first of the Hawaiian islands struck by the tsunami, which was caused by an earthquake in Japan. Water rushed ashore at least 11 feet high near Kealakekua Bay, on the west side of the Big Island, and reached the lobby of a hotel. Flooding was reported on Maui, and water washed up on roadways on the Big Island.

Scientists and officials warned that the first tsunami waves are not always the strongest and said residents along the coast should watch for strong currents and heed calls for evacuation.

"The tsunami warning is not over," said Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie. "We are seeing significant adverse activity, particularly on Maui and the Big Island. By no means are we clear in the rest of the state as well."

High waters reached the U.S. western coast by 11:30 a.m. EST Friday, after evacuations were ordered and beaches closed all along the coast.

Fishermen in Crescent City, Calif., — where a tsunami in 1964 killed 11 people — fired up their crab boats and left the harbor to ride out an expected swell.

Sirens sounded for hours before dawn up and down the coast, and in Hawaii, roadways and beaches were empty as the tsunami struck. As sirens sounded throughout the night, most residents cleared out from the coasts and low-lying areas.

"I'm waiting to see if I'll be working and if I can get to work," said Sabrina Skiles, who spent the night at her husband's office in downtown Kahului in Maui. Their home, across the street from the beach, was in a mandatory evacuation zone. "They're saying the worst is over right now but we keep hearing reports saying 'don't go anywhere. You don't want to go too soon.'"

The tsunami, spawned by an 8.9-magnitude earthquake in Japan, slammed the eastern coast of Japan, sweeping away boats, cars, homes and people as widespread fires burned out of control. It raced across the Pacific at 500 mph — as fast as a jetliner — although tsunami waves roll into shore at normal speeds.

President Barack Obama said the Federal Emergency Management Agency is ready to come to the aid of Hawaii and West Coast states as needed. Coast Guard cutter and aircraft crews were positioning themselves to be ready to conduct response and survey missions as soon as conditions allow.

It is the second time in a little over a year that Hawaii and the U.S. West coast faced the threat of a massive tsunami. A magnitude-8.8 earthquake in Chile spawned warnings on Feb. 27, 2010, but the waves were much smaller than predicted and almost no damage was reported.

Scientists acknowledged they overstated the threat but defended their actions, saying they took the proper steps and learned the lessons of the 2004 Indonesian tsunami that killed thousands of people who didn't get enough warning.

Many islands in the Pacific evacuated after the warnings were issued, but officials told residents to go home because the waves weren't as bad as expected.

In Guam, the waves broke two U.S. Navy submarines from their moorings, but tug boats corralled the subs and brought them back to their pier. No damage was reported to Navy ships in Hawaii.

The warnings issued by the Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center covered an area stretching the entire western coast of the United States and Canada from the Mexican border to Chignik Bay in Alaska.

In the Canadian pacific coast province of British Columbia, authorities evacuated marinas, beaches and other areas.

In Alaska, a dozen small communities along the Aleutian Island chain were on alert, but there were no reports of damage from a wave just over 5 feet.

Officials in two coastal Washington counties used an automated phone alert system, phoning residents on the coast and in low-lying areas and asking them to move to higher ground.

"We certainly don't want to cry wolf," said Sheriff Scott Johnson of Washington's Pacific County. "We just have to hope we're doing the right thing based on our information. We don't want to be wrong and have people hurt or killed.

In Oregon, sirens blasted in some coastal communities and at least one hotel was evacuated in the northern part of the state. Restaurants, gift shops and other beachfront business stayed shuttered, and schools up and down the coast were closed.

Rockne Berge, owner of By The Sea Motel in Port Orford, on Oregon's southern coast, said he saw a band of wet sand about 50 yards wide — an indication of a wave larger than usual. People found viewpoints on bluffs above the beach to watch the waves, he said.

"It looks like a mall parking lot at a Christmas sale," he said.

In Santa Cruz, Calif., retreating waves broke loose a couple of boats and a dock, but surfers who raced to the beach to catch the waves were undeterred.

"The tides are right, the swell is good, the weather is good, the tsunami is there. We're going out," said William Hill, an off-duty California trooper.

Latin American governments ordered islanders and coastal residents to head for higher ground. First affected would be Chile's Easter Island, in the remote South Pacific, about 2,175 miles west of the capital of Santiago, where people planned to evacuate the only town. Ecuador's President Rafael Correa declared a state of emergency and ordered people on the Galapagos Islands and the coast of the mainland to seek higher ground.

The tsunami warning was issued Friday at 3:31 a.m. EST. Sirens were sounded about 30 minutes later in Honolulu alerting people in coastal areas to evacuate. About 70 percent of Hawaii's 1.4 million population resides in Honolulu, and as many as 100,000 tourists are in the city on any given day.

On Friday, the Honolulu International Airport remained open but seven or eight jets bound for Hawaii have turned around, including some originating from Japan, the state Department of Transportation said. All harbors are closed and vessels were ordered to leave the harbor.

Honolulu's Department of Emergency Management has created refuge areas at community centers and schools, and authorities on Kauai island have opened 11 schools to serve as shelters for those who have left tsunami inundation zones.

A small 4.5-magnitude earthquake struck the Big Island just before 5 a.m. EST, but there were no reports of damages and the quakes weren't likely related, a geophysicist with the United States Geological Survey said.

Dennis Fujimoto said early Friday that the mood is calm but concerned on the island of Kauai while people readying for the tsunami.

Long lines formed at gas stations and people went to Wal-Mart to stock up on supplies.

"You got people walking out of there with wagonloads of water," he said.

The worst big wave to strike the U.S. was a 1946 tsunami caused by a magnitude of 8.1 earthquake near Unimak Islands, Alaska, that killed 165 people, mostly in Hawaii. In 1960, a magnitude 9.5 earthquake in southern Chile caused a tsunami that killed at least 1,716 people, including 61 people in Hilo. It also destroyed most of that city's downtown. On the U.S. mainland, a 1964 tsunami from a 9.2 magnitude earthquake in Prince William Sound, Alaska, struck Washington State, Oregon and California. It killed 128 people, including 11 in Crescent City, Calif.

An excerpt from Reuters:

Craig Fugate, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, was more cautious. "The problem is you're never sure until the waves come in," he told CNN.

Tsunami waves crashing ashore in the northern Californian city of Crescent City were more than 6 feet, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

"They are starting to roll in," said Jordan Scott, spokesman for the California Emergency Management Agency. He cautioned it could take 10 to 12 hours for the effects of the quake to completely fade.

Crescent City is a few hours south of Lancer's Oregon place.

Edited by Zkribbler

Over 1000 reported dead.

There was a tsunami alert for Fiji, but nothing happened that I have heard of (mind you I am still at home at this stage).

This is just unbelieveable........

Those poor poor people.

While Japan is probably the most prepared country in the world for earthquakes etc - how the hell do you prepare for that?

:huh:

7.58am: Japanese authorities will release slightly radioactive vapour to ease pressure at nuclear reactor whose cooling system failed.

Japan's nuclear safety agency says pressure inside one of six boiling water reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant had risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal.

The agency said the radioactive element in the vapour that will be released would not affect the environment or human health.

LINK

It's probably better then letting the reactor blow... but still..

I have the BBC live feed on, but damn... what a mess... hard to imagine what those are going through...

It was thousands of times more powerful than the recent NZ quake in christchruch, to put it into perspective!

How can that be? Isn't each full point on the Richter scale a factor of ten? An 8.4 should not be thousands of times stronger than a 6.3, it should be about a hundred times stronger. And wasn't Christchurch a lot closer to the epicenter of its quake?

bad taste sorry

Edited by Bantams