vyeh

SMAC section content

522 posts in this topic

With Vel's gift, the SMAC section is shaping up.

I'm looking forward to Darsnan explaining to Ali the art of CMNing. I should have taken Mart up on his offer to teach CMNing before he got busy.

I also think it is great that Ali is planning to bring "Joe" over. The AC Stories subforum is inactive.

I'm wondering if someone (Solver, Illuminatus) could put in a welcome thread similar to the one that Grandpa Troll did in the Call to Power section.

It could also double as an intro thread.

(For Buster's Uncle's information, the reason I don't do it is that I like the fact that other people are supplanting me.)

For Solver or Illuminatus, I think the welcome message should contain some informal guidelines, e.g.

(1) this is a gaming forum (and without referring to the past, we'd like to note there is an Off Topic forum for nongaming issues).

(2) the general policy of WPC is "family friendly." Given the recent re-release of SMAC/X on Sold Out, it is conceivable we may have younger games here (there is a self-acknowledged 12 year old on CFC), so we should show some awareness (again there is this nice Off Topic forum)

Not to take anything away from the other game forums, but there is an opportunity for the SMAC forum to begin as the most active SMAC forum on the net.

I think active moderation (more active than 'poly) at the beginning would help. I like the fact that people are having fun. I would also like to see some content heavy threads on strategy.

By active, I'm thinking more along the lines of PM's (Jack Hawksmoor sent me PM's when I was new on 'poly) rather than those "Moderator Actions" in the threads.

What is the possibility of getting a SMAC download section? We could start with SMAniaC. Buster's Uncle and I have been working on a "Strategist" custom faction at 'poly. I plan to move it here (because I'd like Darsnan's feedback), so that is another item of content that could eventually end up here.

And maybe Buster's Uncle could be persuaded to contribute some of his finished work here.

I also note that Darsnan is setting up a PBEM game for Ali and her cousin. Maybe this is a good time to set up a MP subforum and start an active players profile thread. I don't have any interest in poaching players from 'poly or CFC, but the second game I CMN is illustrative.

One player asked for a game. Within days, 4 more players wanted to join. There is an appetite for games.

One other thing that could draw new members to the SMAC section: troubleshooting. I don't know if you want a special troubleshooting section, but someone should reach out to Petek, the star SMAC troubleshooter on two forums, and we should consider a sticky thread that troubleshoots some of the most common issues.

See this post.

Edited by vyeh

I'd be glad to write some basic troubleshooting notes and monitor such a thread.

Petek

I could adapt Poly's FAQ thread - but I'll need to remove HTML formatting. An update was pending... :nod:

And guys, now I can't keep track of WPC. :dizzy:

I could adapt Poly's FAQ thread - but I'll need to remove HTML formatting. An update was pending... :nod:

And guys, now I can't keep track of WPC. :dizzy:

Although the FAQ is nice, it is the trouble shooting part that is important. People get awfully frantic when the game won't run.

And who do you hold responsible for not being able to keep track of WPC?

We have the chance to take our years of experience and start a SMAC forum from the ground up.

As you have mentioned, activity is paramount. When newcomers arrive at WPC as a result of the press release, they will see a lot of activity in the SMAC forum. The activity in the SMAC forum will result in a lot of word of mouth.

I went ahead and reported post #806 (one of Buster's Uncle's in Applause thread for Vel's SMAX Guide.

Hopefully it works.

Anyway, you (or Solver) had better be ready.

Report worked. Twice. :)

It's 4:30am over here and it tapped me on the shoulder waking me up and told me to come check the forum. :lol:

Sorry. It hung on my browser.

So I added some text so you would know where to tell me the report worked (I probably should have used the Site Issues thread).

When I hit it again, it told me there was a required 30 second gap between submitting reports.

Thanks.

And who do you hold responsible for not being able to keep track of WPC?

You guys. :)

Anyway, you (or Solver) had better be ready.

Thankfully I am not part of WPC staff. :scarednod:

I have plans for this. Will have to see if they can become reality.

The very minimum I will do to support this venture is post my work the same as I have at the others. I'm a graphic attention-whore, after all.

And as I've been saying since a certain incident coughDalecough complicated my posting habits, I'll go where the SMACers and a little love are...

I have plans for this. Will have to see if they can become reality.

By "this," do you mean the SMAC section?

Thankfully I am not part of WPC staff. :scarednod:

Ya think? ;)

Ya think? ;)

Should we organize a draft?

By "this," do you mean the SMAC section?

Yes, SMAC/X section content.

Ya think? ;)

Solver, what are your current plans regarding the SMAC section?

E.g. subforums, download section, etc.

As I mentioned before, we created few forums to err on the side of caution. We'll be happy to create additional forums if warranted. Say, if you do get some regular MP and/or PBEM going, then a separate forum for that could well be useful.

A download section will come when we get some file upload/download software installed and going, we want to do it with a proper and modern approach, not disjointed download links here and there. Getting something like that up will be one of our short-term priorities.

Content wise, we'll use wiki-style software but we haven't yet decided on which software package exactly. But when we do get that up, everyone will be able to contribute some content.

I think there are enough threads for a Creation subforum

These are my splits

General:

Vel's SMAX Guide

Applause thread for Vel's SMAX Guide

Help me rig the logo contest for a SMACer-me

The Recreation Commons

Maniac facts

SMAC on TvTropes

Creation:

Morgan Industries Base Names

The Strategist custom faction project

University Base Names

Hiverian base names

Spartan Base Names

SMAniaC

Future MP forum (general for now)

In the future - mp smacx demogame with bug fixes

Multiplaying

If you want to attract MP players here, I think you would need to create a forum first. They have their own community. Right now, the Darsnan game at CFC is faltering as two players have pulled out.

The reason that the 'poly MP forum works is not because of the regular players -- they would find their turn tracking thread in any amount of garbage, but for newcomers. A newcomer sees there is activity and maybe spots the thread "replacement needed" because it is the 7th thread from the top (or better yet, is stickied). Anyway a forum devoted to multiplaying encourages them to post a request for a game and other people see it.

We've got a lot of activity going on and multiplayer threads can quickly get lost in the noise. I think MP players will gravitate toward the friendliest spot and that is the 'poly MP forum. As long as they have CMN's and a pool of players, they are happy.

I don't have any particular urgency about setting up a MP forum since the one at 'poly works and other than an occasional advertising spam needs very little moderating; but I think setting up a creation subforum is warranted.

[...]

A download section will come when we get some file upload/download software installed and going, we want to do it with a proper and modern approach, not disjointed download links here and there. Getting something like that up will be one of our short-term priorities.

Content wise, we'll use wiki-style software but we haven't yet decided on which software package exactly. But when we do get that up, everyone will be able to contribute some content.

This seems an excellent approach to me! :b:

With this new forum I have noticed I am more likely to check out new threads and posts if they're not spread out over a whole bunch of fora, but instead can be seen in a quick glance. So unless there's like a full page of new threads every day, I would actually kinda prefer to keep the AC-General and AC-Creation fora together. I think it actually adds more visibility to the AC modding.

As far as splits go, I think it only really makes sense to split out Multiplayer and Succession Games.

General and Creation are very similar. Until you start getting a lot of stories/fiction it makes little sense to split the two. Less clicks=more views! :)

With this new forum I have noticed I am more likely to check out new threads and posts if they're not spread out over a whole bunch of fora, but instead can be seen in a quick glance. So unless there's like a full page of new threads every day, I would actually kinda prefer to keep the AC-General and AC-Creation fora together. I think it actually adds more visibility to the AC modding.

Valid point, especially given how quiet the Creation forum was at 'poly.

I don't think that applies to a MP forum as the MP community and the regular community usually only intersects with the CMN's.

As far as splits go, I think it only really makes sense to split out Multiplayer and Succession Games.

Thank you!

Interesting. I guess there really is significant overlap between Creation and General. I'd like to hear from the other SMAC posters, what do you think? Is keeping General/Creation together and splitting off Multiplayer a good way to go about it?

Solver, can you post a welcome and introduction thread in the SMAC forum (or appoint Jack Hawksmoor as a co-moderator and get him to write the thread).

I really think it should come from someone "official."

I've written something for you, using words from your posts and the material on the front page of this site since I'm sure you are busy.

Welcome!

I am Solver, one of the three co-founders of WePlayCiv. Even though our press release says "The site will also cover Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri," let me assure you that SMAC is not a stepchild to me!

SMAC is the only other Civ game that I've played since Civ4's release. Before founding WePlayCiv, I moderated the SMAC forum at Apolyton Civilization Forums.

We're all about community.

We place special emphasis on fostering and hosting user-generated content. For SMAC, that includes graphics, custom factions, scenarios and mods.

This forum is, and we hope continues to be, a work in progress. We depend on you and the rest of the community to shape this forum.

We are working on adding wiki software to start adding info pages about SMAC and on building file upload facilities to host graphics, factions, etc.

I hope together we can create the best possible SMAC forum.

We don't have detailed rules yet. Details will emerge after we have a discussion among ourselves but we're also interested in what you folks want the rules here to be.

However, one thing is certain, we will have no tolerance for personal attacks, constant trolling, attacks on new members and the like. Heated debate is fine and we understand that debates do indeed get heated when people have strong disagreements, but we won't tolerate ad hominem attacks.

Now a little about myself and then I hope you will introduce yourself.

Living in Latvia, I have been a community manager, tournament/ladder organiser and content editor on Apolyton since 2001, becoming an administrator for the site in 2007. I was also the webmaster of AoE2.com for two years and have written reviews, previews and interviews for a number of gaming sites such as Apolyton, AoE2.com, GamePlasma and Gamez.lv. I have had ties with the game industry since 2002, as a playtester for Ensemble Studios on Age of Mythology as well as later for Firaxis on Civilization IV and expansions and Civilization IV: Colonization. I am the creator of the Unofficial Patches (v3.03 and v3.17) for Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword and am currently a programmer for the indie strategy game Candle'Bre.

Okay, I just want to point out that the Creation division at 'poly is totally bogus. Game mods were, until recently, stickied in General. I posted a modification of Miriam's portrait with comments to provoke discussion about the portrayal of people of faith in AC General, y'all recall?

I'm still a bit [edit: actually- still rather] angry that I got my thread tossed into the Creation ghetto after a few days, like so much trash.

Not to bring that particular episode back up, but that's some grade-A bullcrap right there.

Put me and my graphics work wherever the text modders go. No negotiation. My foot is down.

[Edit: Post 200. First to 200, I believe.]

..And I want to point out that it took me over an HOUR, I think over two, to wrap up in the SMAC forum this morning and come look around here.

This is an amazingly healthy new site- everyone's excited and posting, not lurking, and I'm sure the euphoria won't last- but SMAC is currently, hands-down, the very strong heart of your muscular fora...

This is an amazingly healthy new site- everyone's excited and posting' date=' not lurking, and I'm sure the euphoria won't last- [/quote']

If only we could maintain that inviting ambience... maybe come Civ5? :expectnod: