Qloos

How does one record Alpha Centauri?

12 posts in this topic

I'm interested in creating a "lets play" of Alpha Centauri, what video capture applications are compatable with SMAC?

Trying out cam studio now. First attempt managed to record the introduction movie and then cut into a blank screen for the remainder with no audio being recorded, fiddling with the settings, and swapping directdraw to "0".

Attempt number two: Directdraw has fixed the video problem, and I swapped audio recording from mic line to speakers with the intentions of adding commentary later. No problems, everything records well. Good program bdanv.

Edited by Qloos

Status update: purchased a new mic to get rid of the static mic feedback that was happening. Swapped the audio recording back to mic line for "as it happens" commentary with the volume set loud so the SMAC SFX are still audible. Only remaining problem is audio sync, as the video progresses the problem gets worse. I'll try different audio compression formats and see if it gives better results.

I have two requests, the first I can do myself if no one has a candidate.

1. Does anyone know any good AVI video editing software?

2. Once number 1, (and the audio sync problem) is rectified: I'll be requesting players for a large IP game to make it a multiplayer "lets play" if possible. The more the merrier, but I dont plan to stop there.

If otherplayers are willing, I'd apreciate them recording - their own - "Lets play" and then sending me the video files, the more cooperation I recieve, the better the end result, as I'll be able to create a "Alpha Centauri Simultaneous Lets Play" of sorts where I either have the video segments swapping between players or give them their own video's for viewers to swap between to see how players react to each other as the game progresses.

This proposition will have a thread of it's own, next weekend when I have time.

Purely a hypothetical "what if" scenario I came up with, and first things first: Step 1.

Status update: Mic problem fixed again, I didnt need a new mic at all. It was the rear plugin on my tower that was causing static, swapped to the front and now crystal clear audio. Sound snyc problem still persistant, however I've discovered that I've been going about the problem backwards. Instead of changing audio compression, I should be changing the video frame rate to a non variable.

Oh boy, this program looks handy: http://www.free-codecs.com/avi_frame_rate_changer_download.htm

Edit: All problems solved, I endorse whole heartedly the program linked above, fixed the sync issue super fast.

Edited by Qloos

Ok I have to admit I am at a loss here.

For a long time now I desired to make an LP of this wonderful game that I spend hours and hours with. Many people also showed support when I announced that I have this plan as there are still no to very few good LP sof it. But unfortunately, up until now, I was able to maket his work.

The problem is that after I installed the game with full instalation (AC + AX) I can run the game perfectly. I just can’t record it. Whenever I try it just records a black screen (although it records the intro movie).

I tried Camtasia Studio 7, I tried CamRecorder, I tried FRAPS.

I went through the forums here but directdraw did not help (putting it in .ini file) and nobody else seemed to have this problem. Can anyone here try to help me? He will get a memorable mention and also the LP with be dedicated to him :) I also tried PMing some of the people that DID record AC on YT but none of them ever got back to me :-/

I don't think that FRAPS works for anyone. I remember managing to record it using some obscure program that some forum thread indicated to me after searching the Internet for what you're asking here...

Also, good luck with making a Let's Play, you'll probably will have to do a lot of editing, considering that 4X games tend to take so long...

Old topic, but my research shows that the LPers that record SMAC/X (and other older games) have to use a video capture card and record it hardware side.