Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

ZsX-Jule

Faction: balance between SMAC and SMACX version

14 posts in this topic

All in the tittle: does the faction are well-balanced between 1st version and Alien crossfire? I come back to SMAC, I've never play Alien crossfire before. By seeing the different bonuses, I've got impression that the new factions detains better or more bonuses. How do you feel that, in game?

Other question: does a modder had ever try a modd to "stick" a Civilization and Smac?

Sry for my english :/

The Alien Crossfire factions are somewhat more diverse in power; the Planet Cult is pretty weak, while the aliens are very strong.

I don't understand the faction modding question, but you keep using your best English - it's good enough for us.

At the end of a "Civilization" game, continue to the future with using some caracteristics of SMAC (technology Tree, scenario etc...)... Harun Ar rachid could become a kind of Morgan, Gengis khan as Santiago etc etc.

It all depends. there was some time ago a ranking of factions and the best in it was University and the weakest was Planet Cult.

However some players (and I agree with it) say that with every faction you can have enough chances, just depending how good you are in the game.

There is online Vel's strategy guide. There is good overview of factions.

I imagine an AC scenario could be made based on continuing from the ending of a game of Civ, but I doubt there's a way to use the save file directly.

Ok thanx.

Yep, I've played yesterday, new factions seems to be more "complicated" in their development. Taking some advantages from the bonuses is harder as the first faction, I guess because they dont use basic play mechanism (spy, droids....)

Rise of Mankind Civ4 mod starts at the Civ tech tree start and ends at the SMACX tech tree end. I also highly recommend the A New Dawn modmod.

It all depends. there was some time ago a ranking of factions and the best in it was University and the weakest was Planet Cult.

However some players (and I agree with it) say that with every faction you can have enough chances, just depending how good you are in the game.

There is online Vel's strategy guide. There is good overview of factions.

Do you happen to know where the ranking list is I am curious as to what factions are ranked where.

Faction Balance would only be relevant in multiplayer. You are perfectly free to shape the balance, rules, and difficulty to suit yourself in single player. As I once replied to a thread about being irritated by "unreasonable demands" from the AI in diplomcatic communitions

The only resonable request from an AI faction is "May I be your *****, please"

How do you turn over your faction to the AI and let it play itself? I tried turning on the scenario editor but "Switch Sides/View" for some reason only seems to give me the option of choosing to play one or all of the factions...something about "pick a new faction or don't make any changes." What am I missing?

when you select switch sides/set view, it gives you the option of choosing a faction to switch to. After you select one it gives you the option to manually control them or let the computer play them. If you choose to let the computer play the faction you will see it's view but all of the units will auto move when you hit end turn. The full revealed map often reverts to only the faction view when you do this, simplest way to get it back(if you want the full view) is to hit cntrl+k 2 times to turn off the editor and turn it back on.

When I choose one of the factions, it just closes out of the menu and I'm back in the game in view mode, but it's still my turn. If I hit "Turn Done," it tells me there are unmoved units, rolls to the next turn, and they're still mine to move. :hmmm: It covers the world when I switch, but you're sure there's no other command I have to do?

When I choose one of the factions, it just closes out of the menu and I'm back in the game in view mode, but it's still my turn. If I hit "Turn Done," it tells me there are unmoved units, rolls to the next turn, and they're still mine to move. :hmmm: It covers the world when I switch, but you're sure there's no other command I have to do?

Here's how to avoid those problems: Start a new game and select to play one of the factions that you don't want to observe. I think it also helps to play the faction that's in the seventh (last) slot in the list of factions. When the game starts, make sure that the pause at end of turn preference is on. Next, take whatever actions are needed to get to the end of the turn (you can just press Shift-A to automate units, if you like). However, don't end the turn. Now go into the scenario editor and switch sides to a different faction. You then should get the option to watch computer play. Now end the turn and you should be watching the new faction.

Yep, that did the trick. Thanks! Now I can balance a roll of quarters on the Enter key, go off to lunch, and come back to find out who wins the game :)