Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

GeoModder

.ini file request

12 posts in this topic

I have a request.

I recently installed Alpha Centauri (SMAC + SMACX) on my old laptop again, and patched it accordingly for Windows XP. But the game won't start. I *think* the reason is that the lack of file with this "oldvox" something attribute is the cause.

AFAIK, this file is generated only when the game succesfully started up the first time, but since I can't let it start up this first time...

So now I'm asking if someone would like to attach the file with this attribute in it?

The OldVoxelAlgorithm ini line is no longer necessary if you are using the unofficial patch, which you should be using.

Edited by bdanv
edited the link

Ah, scient's patch has be made public? Nice to hear.

I'll first test if using the adjusted .ini let indeed the game start. Then I'll apply Scient's patch. :D

Here is the fragment, but I'm not sure, the value should be 0.

[PREFERENCES]

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

[Alpha Centauri]

Well, I tried, but when I try to start up (either terran.exe, terranx.exe, or Scient's equivalents) the terran.icd file seems to be corrupted. I guess the files on the CD have broken down. :(

cannot attach a file that big in the forum. it seems to be a problem there.

i have already reported it. no answer though :confuse:

Well, I tried, but when I try to start up (either terran.exe, terranx.exe, or Scient's equivalents) the terran.icd file seems to be corrupted. I guess the files on the CD have broken down. :(

You shouldn't be getting terran(x).icd errors when using scient's patch (for either SMAC or SMAX). His patches don't use the icd files. Also, you don't need to have any CDs in the drive to play with his patch.

And just like that, the game started working.

I guess it was more a problem with the OS then anything else. :dunno:

Thanks for your patience and help, folks. :)

cannot attach a file that big in the forum. it seems to be a problem there.

i have already reported it. no answer though :confuse:

Sorry to derail this topic just a bit... but why not use a service such as Mediafire to host such a file?

that was the obvious solution, but we have here a forum with 'practically unlimited storage space' so..

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the elaboration!

I pretty much never use forum attachments anyway, I find them rather annoying to use. Why use a feature that is strict and limited when there is almost superior and more convenient solutions?