Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GeoModder

[Turn 100] - Midsave for tactical evaluation

12 posts in this topic

I continued the game until the start of turn 100.

No detailed screenshots atm, since for some reason my laptop doesn't want to open .jpg versions in mspaint anymore, so I can't crop/resize them. I'll attach the two I made for turn 100 so you have at least an idea how the situation is without opening the save.

What I can offer atm is the save and my progress notes.

Turn 86

• Cumakae starts workboat

Turn87

• Legio Conma destroys barb camp near Almaty, now friends with Almaty.

Turn 88

• Rome finishes chariot. Training of a second one starts.
  • Legio Romulus starts constructing the "Via Appia".

Turn 89

• Gaius upgraded to Legion

Turn 90

• Ivory camp near Cumakae is finished. The worker there will start on road construction towards Rome.

Turn 91

• Workboat finished in Cumakae. Barracks started.
  • Workboat finished in Antium. Spearman continued. It appears we lost hammers on its production because it takes 4 turns now.
  • 2 fish resource tiles bought for 125 gold. Gold income is increased. :relief:

Turn 93

• All our legions are busy on Via Appia.
  • Aux. Lavinii reached Cumakae. The unit is now garrisoned there.

Turn 94

• Mathematics discovered. Writing started (5 turns).
  • Rome finished the second chariot. Starts on Granary (9 turns).

Turn 95

• The Chinese also have Iron Working. I spotted their first Swordsman.
  • Second spearman finished in Antium. Started on a Ballista (20 turns).

Turn 96

• Remus&Timur meet up with our first chariot which I sent north to give them better protection.
  • Our 3 legions have done their part in the Via Appia. A worker is building the final stretch. All Legions will get healed prior to moving to assault positions near Guangzhou.

Turn 97

• Due to our friendship with Almaty we received a scout from the city.
    I'll use the unit to scout the remaining hidden parts of our continent.

Turn 98

• Trade route between Rome and Antium established. +4 gold/turn.

Turn 99

• Writing researched, started on Construction.
  • Our open borders with Wu Zeitian has ended.
  • The... erm... EMPRESS... saw fit to close the last gap through which Timur&Remus could pass on their way home.
  • I decided to renew the open borders agreement because there were too many Chinese units on Remus&Co's back. They would be blocked if I declared war now.

Turn 100

• Our units are healed, and we're in a position to do damage.
  • Unsurprisingly, China has amassed some units around Guangzhou as well.

What shall we do? Start hostilities or wait another turn and position us better?

Next Tuesday I have the day off. I will probably find time to play further Tuesday evening.

Wait and position better. As positioned right now we'd probably lose the two horse archers right away.

A played a few turns further.

When starting the game, the new patch was applied. This means that among other changes we'll need to promote our units before turns can be finished. I'll give us a mixed set of open and hilly promotions (each unit following the same line of promotions)

Turn 100

• Moved a chariot out of harms way, and declared war on China.
    Turn100-WarDeclaration.jpg

• We pinced down a swordsman east of Guanzhou with shots from both chariots, and killed the unit with Legio Gaius.
  • Also, Legio Conma took out a Chinese scout in the vicinity of Nanjing, and our unnamed Spearman attacked the scout west of him, but unfortunately didn't kill it.

Turn 101

• Guangzhou took a shot at our unnamed Spearman, and a nearby Chinese Swordsman destroyed our unit. :(
  • In retaliation our Aux.Aigyptos Chariot shot at the offending Chinese, followed by a lethal assault of the proud Legio Romulus.
    Turn101-LegioRomulus.jpg

• Bringing Timur and the protecting warrior Remus within 2 tiles of Guangzhou, the chariot Aux.Lybia and Legio Gaius pressed a first assault on the city. Health bar of Guangzhou is already in the yellow after this. Also, General Lysander decided to join our side and made landfall in Antium on his way to the frontline.
  • As a side note, a traderoute was established between Cumakae and Rome.
  • And as last news the construction of a camp near Cumakae has started.

Turn 102

• Legio Romulus took a shot from Guangzhou (it is the most damaged unit of us around). Despite the damage, he attacks and kills the remaining Chinese scout in the area, bringing him neatly out of range of any Chinese unit.
    Turn102-Warzone.jpg

• Guangzhou was reinforced with a Spearman.
    Turn102-GuangZhouAttack.jpg

• A joint attack of our 2 chariots and 2 other legions gave us the city of Guangzhou. The Treasury is 99 gold the richer.
    Now, what shall we do with this city? There are no buildings inside, none of the resources is build up and the population is at size 2. For the moment I made it a puppet (uses up 4 :), wich leaves us 5 more :)). Do we raze it, annex it, or leave it as a puppet for the time being?
    Turn102-GuangZhouConquest.jpg
    Turn102-Situation.jpg

Edited by GeoModder

Great victory !

About Guangzhou, raze and resettle. We'll get rid off the courthouse upkep.

And some more turns...

Turn 102

• Remus upgraded to Legion.
  • Gaius renamed to III Legio Zargo.

Turn 103

• Started razing Guangzhou.
  • Troop movement north started to the next Chinese city.
  • Aux.Lavinii (Spearman) seeks out a barb camp that's bothering Tyre.
  • Rome finished a Granary, started on a settler (6 turns).

Turn 104

• A deal where we provided Ivory to Napoleon in return for Iron ended.
  • I renewed the deal, we offer Ivory for 160 gold, 2 Iron and Open Borders.
    Turn104-Trade.jpg

Turn 105

• Our former Chinese worker started on a wheat farm near Antium.
  • Aux.Libya takes a shot at Shanghai.

Turn 106

• Construction researched, started on Calendar (5 turns).
    Turn106-Construction.jpg
  • The Battle of Shanghai has begun in earnest.
    Turn106-RemusBattle.jpg

Turn 107

• As seen in the screenshot below, Wu Zeitian sues for peace. I refused.
    Turn107-WuAskSurrender.jpg

• Napoleon has completed the Great Wall. :scared:

Turn 108

• Our influence with Almaty decayed to neutral.
  • Aux.Lavinii attacks a camp near Tyre. Minor victory.
    Turn108-Lavinii.jpg
  • Shanghai is taken, with a worker in it. The city is set ablaze.
    Turn108-ShanghaiTaken.jpg
  • Remember that scout Almaty gave us? It's been busy pillaging a horse -and iron resource west of Beijing.

Turn 109

• Rome build a settler. Where shall we found a city? See screenshot for game -and my suggestions. The game has a preference for near the old Guangzhou location, My preferences are a bit to the west with the tile marked by the red dot as main one because of sugar next, and gold nearby the site (Shanghai is in the proces of being razed), while the iron to the south will eventually become ours as borders expand.
    Turn109-Settler.jpg
  • Cumakae finished a Barracks. Started on a Ballista (25 turns).
  • Our income breaks even now. We might better start with selling off obselete units (the scout comes to mind) or kill off an excess worker or two. Especially since in a few turns our first Ballista will be finished. We could also spent one of our two Great Generals on a Golden Age or let it construct a citadel somewhere. Comments?
    Turn109-Overview.jpg

Great General to start a Golden Age sounds good. It's pretty obvious we won't need more than one to lead the army.

About next city, the red dot place is better, two luxury to improve without any wait. We should also start another settler to claim both edges of the river. River is +1 gold each bordering hex, it will make the city valuable.

Militarily I'd suggest to go to Beijing, maybe the French will attack Nanjing and we'll have less warmonger attitude messages if we do not kill the Chinese.

By the way : doesn't last patch interfere with the game ?

Great General to start a Golden Age sounds good. It's pretty obvious we won't need more than one to lead the army.

It might be wise to wait GA'ing one of our Great Generals until we conquered Beijing and it starts producing things. It's a capital city, so can't be razed. With a GA going on, the Courthouse will be done quicker.

About next city, the red dot place is better, two luxury to improve without any wait. We should also start another settler to claim both edges of the river. River is +1 gold each bordering hex, it will make the city valuable.

I'll put 'm in the pipeline somewhere. Btw, don't be mistaken. There's only the sugar resource adjacent to the red dot tile. The gold resource is a tile further northeast then you think.

Militarily I'd suggest to go to Beijing, maybe the French will attack Nanjing and we'll have less warmonger attitude messages if we do not kill the Chinese.

Agreed

By the way : doesn't last patch interfere with the game ?

The game behaves itself. Sofar it's only the new stuff that I had to deal with like promotions and instant social policies.

Since we're not relying on horse units for our conquest, we don't have trouble with a hit on city attack modifiers.

I'll try to churn out some turns before Christmas eve.

It might be wise to wait GA'ing one of our Great Generals until we conquered Beijing and it starts producing things. It's a capital city, so can't be razed. With a GA going on, the Courthouse will be done quicker.

Agreed.

The gold resource is a tile further northeast then you think.

We'll have sugar when we'll have taken Beijing. So maybe could we select the yellow dot instead, rebuild Shanghai and building a city 66999 from Antium (it's left bank of the river, where the two rivers melt) ?

That's three cities with rivers near, one with a gold to improve.

Edited by Jojo

Are you sure about settling on the yellow dotted tile? China hasn't build a plantation on the sugar tile in the border radius of Beijing, so conquering the city won't give us sugar the instance it is ours.

Why do you prefere the tile 66999 from Antium? 666999 (triple each) or 669999 looks a tad better to me. The cows roughly on the west of this spot will eventually be used by a city on the red or yellow dot.

I like the 66999 spot because the river protect from the French. Anyway 666999 is good too, maybe only four hexes from Rome, but I don't think it's trouble.

Do you mean the sugar near red dot is already improved ? Sorry, I might have trouble to understand correctly the general view, as I play only strategic view. If this is the case, then go for red dot.

No, the sugar near the red dot isn't improved. I don't think China has the tech for the plantation improvement. But it's so that we have a worker near the tile so the improvement can be constructed the moment a city is founded.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0