Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GeoModder

[Turn 86] - Preliminary decisions thread

13 posts in this topic

Sorry about the delay, sessions will continue this Sunday after I bought a new monitor for my computer.

Report thread until turn 86 can be found here.

Last Preliminary thread, the calls for a good-sized standing army were overwhelming, and I think we're quite on track for that: 2 legions sofar with a third unit becoming upgraded to Legion. 2 turns before the first Chariot is trained, and we have the horses for a second one.

Also, our continent is about completely scouted. There's only 2 other civs on our continent (France and China) and a good amount of militaristic city states.

What I think we need to decide upon:

• New research after Mathematics. IIRC Writing, Commerce and Construction was suggested. These seem a good choice to me. The more so since our army needs a good amount of cash to maintain, and we're flirting with going in the red.
  • Going to war with China or not. I suppose the majority wants some action but before the message is sent to Empress Wu we need to have a majority vote. ;)
    Also, a general strategy can (should) be discussed if we go to war.
  • A bunch of builts for our 3 cities. At present Rome will finish a Chariot in 2 turns, Antium is busy on a workboat for its fish resource (which we will need to buy) and Cumakae is awaiting orders.
  • And of course unit actions.

For the builds I suggest:

• Rome - Second Chariot, followed by a Granary. Should keep the city busy for the next 15 turns or so.
  • Antium - After the workboat, finish the Spearman in the queue, and start on a fourth legion. 10+ turns before that's done.
  • Cumakae - We have choice of a workboat (there's a fish resource nearby), Barracks, Worker or Settler as logical choices. Due to the Roman ability I don't like to construct buildings that don't exist yet in Rome, but if we do there's the option of Walls and Granary.

General unit suggestions:

• Our 2 workers continue to link up resources before starting on mines/farms/trading posts.
  • Let our 3 legions near Antium start on a route network between Antium and Rome to increase our income.
  • Remus warrior&Timur General head back home from the far north.
  • Aux. Lavinii also heads home.
  • Gaius warrior upgrades to Legion and joins the Conma and Romulus legion with road constructing.

Thoughts?

OK just so I am clear on my position.

I support a small standing army, to go out and smack something.

As Rome, I would compose that of 3 Legions, and a couple of archers.

Then maybe an exploration unit or two out of necessary, and possibly a small home guard.

Other than that amount would be "excess units" IMHO.

And my "vote" is to smack anybody we can reach out and touch as soon as possible.

If we need money, we obviously need to build markets and establish trade posts. As we'll crush China we need courthouses and colosseums to keep happiness positive (at least higher than -10).

I agree on the general course of action proposed by geo.

I just want to see someones streets run with thier blood. As long as that someone isn't us, I am content.

Well, I think we can provide the requests of all in this thread. :D

Con: I had thought of 2 chariots (a bit cheaper, and better movement ratio then archers), the 2 spearman, 4 legions as standing army. And providing we get extra iron some ballista's too of course.

Should give us the possibility to go on the offensive and have a decent home defense at the same time.

No comments on the plan to create connections between our cities? It costs money, but I reckon the income would increase. Or is it better to have markets first before creating road connections?

Leave a road network for after we kicked some Chinese heads?

I think we can road connect now, the gold will go down as the road is being built, but when its complete you get a nice jump in income.

I would say build it now with current Legions, while we are marshalling/ manuevering into place the forces necessary to attack.

The overall size of our current force sounds good. I just wasn't sure how many we already had, and exactly how many were adding so I offerred what would be my vision.

So the guys we got out exploring fit into the above numbers?? How long before they are back hhome?

Yes, I put all our current and projected units in the total. We have 1 spearman, 1 warrior&Great General out there. Of the top of my head I think the Warrior&GG need at least 15 turns to pass the Chinese cities on their way back. The spearman should be able to make it to Cumakae in 15 turns max.

I had the idea to construct roads with the legions, and once our GG&Warrior is near a Chinese target city, at least one legion joins them while declaring war (I don't think we'll have open borders with China at that time) with the rest of our assault army sieging the target city.

Edited by GeoModder

Yes, I put all our current and projected units in the total. We have 1 spearman, 1 warrior&Great General out there. Of the top of my head I think the Warrior&GG need at least 15 turns to pass the Chinese cities on their way back. The spearman should be able to make it to Cumakae in 15 turns max.

I had the idea to construct roads with the legions, and once our GG&Warrior is near a Chinese target city, at least one legion joins them while declaring war (I don't think we'll have open borders with China at that time) with the rest of our assault army sieging the target city.

Can we just use our explorers coming back as the home guard? Once they get back or are they part of your Legion numbers??

There's only one of the scouting units that can be upgraded to a Legion: the warrior Remus.

Okay, this is how I see the assault force: 3 legions (Romulus, Conma, Gaius), 2 chariots. Perhaps one spearman for possible Chinese horse units.

This force would cover the Remus warrior and Timur great general when they enter Chinese lands which would probably be a cause of war because I don't think at the time the warrior and great general pass through, our open borders treaty with China will be valid.

That leaves for the homefront one spearman (the scout returning from the east to Cumakae) and a Legion under production in Antium. That leaves open the second spearman I had thought of accompanying the Legions as possible third home guard.

and whats the plan for the warrior once we get him back?

I think this is a pretty good plan, I certainly don't think we need more units than this. Especially to get us started against China. After we conclude that war, and of course depending upon where the tech tree is when we get there, I would like to see that final Legion in the front lines, and bring back another non Legion unit for home defense. In other words keeping our best units out fighting the war.

This is good, guess Ill have to start looking closely at the maps and see how we need to deploy.

and whats the plan for the warrior once we get him back?

For starters, he must manage to get back first. ;)

But in general I had thought to station 'm at our first Chinese conquest for upgrade to Legion if we have the spare resource and gold.

It seems the monitor of my main computer is behaving. I'll play some turns now.

Edit: or not. :(

I'll play some turns but screenshots will not be nice-looking.

Edited by GeoModder

Finally had a look at the save. Sorry I haven't been too active of late.

My thoughts: We could use more gold production. We have a couple of fish sources that aren't in the radius yet. The fish could help both growth in the other two cities, and gold if we get them into our radius and build workboats. Regarding war, China should definitely be first target. Their closest city has a couple of luxuries we could use, and the next one above that has a gold luxury source.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0