Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GeoModder

[Turn 73] - preliminary choice-making for next play session

18 posts in this topic

The reigns of power have been handed over, and some decisions need to be make so we can continue over the next 20 or so turns.

Cities

• Rome - needs a new build order. I suggest to start with a granary (10 turns at present), and switch to Legion once a source of iron is hooked up. My main reason to start on a granary here is the 25% production discount of buildings constructed in Rome towards other cities. After the legion the city can finish the granary.
  • Antium - is a bit of a difficult one. In 4 turns we have Sailing. With that researched we could first build a workboat or two (linking up whales :) and/or fish :chef: ) before finishing the barracks (7 turns at present), the spearman, and afterwards a legion too. I recommend cranking out work boats because Antium isn't growing atm, and fish will fix this. Downside is that we need to buy the seatiles with the resources on it - 55 gold for each.
  • Cumakae - still 15 turns before the monument is constructed. Tentatively, I'd say put a granary in the queue as next build.

Technologies

Sailing is done in 4 turns.

There was a discussion about beelining to Mathematics for the Ballista, our civ's second unique unit. So I suggest The Wheel (5 turns) --> Archery (4 turns) --> Mathematics (10 turns) as next. Mathematics research time will probably be a bit shorter by the time we're there because both Rome and Cumakae grow in 14 turns at present, and more population means more beakers.

Social Policies

We have one available.

There were 2 votes for Discipline (+15% combat bonus for adjacent units), and 1 vote for Military Tradition (double experience for combat).

Anyone else like to vote on either?

Diplomatic Trade Options

We have one extra source of Ivory.

Both the Chinese and the French have enough spare gold to trade the resource.

Given that China is our closest neighbour, and possibly our first military target, will we:

1. not trade Ivory at all
  2. trade it with China (gives them happiness, but leaves them less gold if the **** hits the fan)
  3. trade it with France
  4. something entirely else (please post what)

That's all I see that needs a decision for the upcoming session this Saturday.

Please have your comments/votes/proposals posted by then. :)

Edited by GeoModder

-I see lots of granaries being built and few Legions, we really need 3 Legions and a couple of indirect fire units so we can go smack someone. If we keep building away, we will lose the window while the Legion has superiority.

-Agree with beeline to Balistas.

-Military Tradition, our Legions will love it.

-Trade with whomever we don't plan on attacking first.

We're somewhere between 7 and 10 turns away from having iron linked up. We need to build something in Rome while we're waiting on the iron.

Indirect fire units can be started somewhere when the wheel is done: 2 chariots (horses will be linked up by then). 9 turns away.

With the iron from both Cumacae and Antium linked up, we'll have 4 iron. 10 turns before the Antium iron is in our borders unless we buy it. But I don't think that will be necessary.

Our Romulus warrior is 5 turns away from the borders of Antium. We could sent him home to upgrade to Legion. We could have 2 legions done in say 20 turns for sure, with a third in production somewhere (either Antium or Rome). If Remus was sent home after destroying the barb camp we could upgrade him too.

I made a snafu earlier in he Policies sections: it's either Discipline (+15% combat for adjacent units) or Military Tradition (double experience from combat).

So you endorse the double experience, con?

But the downside is that economy won't expand, happiness won't increase and population won't grow.

We're somewhere between 7 and 10 turns away from having iron linked up. We need to build something in Rome while we're waiting on the iron.

Indirect fire units can be started somewhere when the wheel is done: 2 chariots (horses will be linked up by then). 9 turns away.

With the iron from both Cumacae and Antium linked up, we'll have 4 iron. 10 turns before the Antium iron is in our borders unless we buy it. But I don't think that will be necessary.

Our Romulus warrior is 5 turns away from the borders of Antium. We could sent him home to upgrade to Legion. We could have 2 legions done in say 20 turns for sure, with a third in production somewhere (either Antium or Rome). If Remus was sent home after destroying the barb camp we could upgrade him too.

I made a snafu earlier in he Policies sections: it's either Discipline (+15% combat for adjacent units) or Military Tradition (double experience from combat).

So you endorse the double experience, con?

But the downside is that economy won't expand, happiness won't increase and population won't grow.

No I want the +15%, whichever one that is, I can't check because I can't get into game until tomorrow.

Retarding growth a bit to build a handfull of units, so we can go whip some ass is a good comprimise, IMHO.

I am not saying go on a total mobilization, build some units so we can have some fun, and then go back to granaries or whatever else we need to build.

Build enough to get smacking, then go back to growth. With a handfull of units we can probably smack both of our neighbors pretty easily. Then get ready for the next push.

It might even get the game exciting again and pull in some more interest.

Thats all I am saying, we got iron researched, and within our grasp, lets use it. If it makes sense to build the granary while we are awaiting iron hook up, then so be it, but if we can build an indirect fire unit first thats what I would do. Make us a small army, then go back to growth. Its amazing what a few units can do for you in this version of Civ.

There is the option of trading our Ivory away for French Iron and some cash.....

I think we should search writing to boost sciences, then construction (courthouses) and currency (markets).

We also need one worker to mine the iron near Cumakae ASAP.

In Rome we could launch Walls. Then hopefully legion legion legion legion.

I think the argument for a granary in Rome is pretty strong, so I'd agree with that. But then, as con says, it should be butt-kicking time. For the policy discussion, I think Discipline is a good one to have right now with our intended military development.

There is the option of trading our Ivory away for French Iron and some cash.....

Thanks for reminding. For some reason that escaped me.

Anyone else supporting an Ivory trade for Iron+gold with France? Rome could start at once on a legion then instead of a building. Con, I suppose you endorse this? ;)

No I want the +15%, whichever one that is, I can't check because I can't get into game until tomorrow.

Discipline gives the 15% adjacent combat bonus. At least 4 votes for this one thus. Looks like we've choosen our next SocPol.

Vox populi

• Discipline as Social Policy
  • Legions ASAP, either through linking up iron or trading with France
  • Wheel, Archery, and Mathematics as research

Vox clamantis in deserto

• Granary
  • Writing, Commerce, and Construction as research for libraries and markets
  • Some ranged units
  • Walls
  • Workboat(s)

The play session will find place at 16:00 CET tomorrow. I'll be in the WPC chatroom on Steam too for those wishing a first hand comment.

Update:

Couldn't play the game at 16:00 because my graphics card gave up on me.

I'll play when the new card is fully integrated.

1 person likes this

Turns out its not my graphics card, but my monitor. Bugger, a new card bought for nothing. :(

Okay, that finishes it. I can't even load the game on a friend's laptop. The game crashes during the intro movie for some reason.

Can't say at this point when I'll be able to play civ5 again.

Where is the stained dress? ;)

:p

Bad karma seems over. My friend's laptop started up the game like a... well... charm I guessd.

I'm gonna play now as long as it lasts.

Edit:

Session played 'til turn 86. I'll post a report this evening.

Edited by GeoModder

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0