Dale

Losing interest

107 posts in this topic

Is it worrying that I'm already loosing interest in Civ5? :(

I think the obvious answer to that is Yes.

Perhaps the next question is why are you losing interest? For me its partly the UI but mainly because there doesn't seem to be enough to do - can't decide if the two are related yet.

Perhaps the next question is why are you losing interest?

+1

I think it would be very interesting to hear an analysis (or even just a brief synopsis) from Dale's perspective on this.

I haven't reached that phase yet, maybe because I am only playing in the Modern/ Future eras and am not focusing on the deficiencies in these eras, or maybe because I am more interested in the game's mechanics and how I can tweak/ poke them and see how they respond. We will see.

D

Since I'm only at the last stages of my second game: nope. :)

Dale, you have been playing this game for months, you are not a good example.;) Or, exactly that it took this long, is a good sign, right?:p I am not loosing interest yet, and I've been playing for a while too. But I don't play it as much as I used to. Don't have time. This thing called RL and uni keeps bugging me...

I agree with Darsnan and Standup. WHY are you losing interest. Perhaps as more mods become available, your interest can be regained?

I am still experimenting with the different civilizations, trying to find winning strategies for each. So that will take some time before I lose interest in that. I am also developing a few new civilizations to add to the game for more variety (Maori, Cherokee, Shawnee are currently on my drawing board). Hopefully down the road they will give more power to modders to create truly new features and to improve AI.

It's also worried me that I haven't even started it up once in the past week. I've been playing other games instead. I think, for me, the problem is that the AI just seems so crippled right now. I moved up to King after my first game, and I'm still cleaning up easily during wars. And the diplomacy model just has nothing going for it at the moment. I think MP is going to add a lot to the game when it's more functional, so that's something to look forward to. I also think the AI and diplomacy issues will eventually be resolved, so I'm not too worried in the long term...

For me, it's because of a lack of things to build. Too much time hitting Next Turn.

I didn't play a whole game yet.

Just some beginings of games with my training "tech",i.e., I play to lose to try and see how it's possible to go.

Now playing my 1st game: decided to play with no focus (rush, later strong military, CS, ICS, or resources hog).

I should have already lost, but no. I fear I can even win.

And no, it is not at Settler level.

Well, there is this new game (a major patch for civ5) coming out soon.

Perhaps that will renew people's interest in the game, playing it and investigating its newness.

I realize that the main issue for many at this time is the Artificial Idiot, but a lot of the longevity that BtS had for me was my modding the game to closer fit my image of realism. Tweaking unit capabilities, barb combat bonuses and the like.

Edited by jaybe

Absolutely. Is it only Civ V your losing interest with? Does it extend to the Civ series or computer games in general?

I've stated my reasons for staying away(i can't do steam), but i completely sympathize with the sentiment Dale has expressed, especially in light of his 'role' in the civ series and his position as a co-owner of this site(a civ site!).

I suspected from quite early on that some of this games issues may be around the civ-lite route it probably would take, we live in a world of dumbed down 'entertainment' after all, and gaming hasn't been immune from this trend.

Now i will add i think, judging by all i've read about CivV, that it is probably too early to give up on the game just yet - remember it wasn't until BTS that CivIV really showed it's potential. And as others have mentioned, mods will help as time goes by.

So Dale, and others that feel they may be losing interest in the game, shelve it for a while, have a breath of fresh air(game-wise or otherwise) and pick it up later. Even if you are modding, just getting time away from a 'stale project' can recharge your enthusiasm i've often found.

Me? why i'll carry on with CivIV(bts)+FFH2+Dune mods until a better(non steamed) Civ comes along ;)

Well, to answer that I think it comes down to two things:

1. I've been playing Civ5 (this engine) for a year now. And talking Civ5 and playing prototypes for a year and a half. I feel burnt out with the game.

2. Family time has increased its role with the addition of a new bubs. I have even less time for computer games than a month ago.

I've been playing Cities XL 2011 all week, and I'm actually having fun with this new addition to the city-builder genre. I might stick with it for a while and come back to Civ5 later. :)

So you're not going to create those tutorials you were talking about anymore?

I decided to shelve Civ V yesterday, after less than 100 hours on it, a lot of which was actually testing maps.

The game is simply not fun.

There is no challenge for even average Civ IV players. Look at Civfanatics threads where people end up saying that, for a challenge, you must remove 2 victory conditions, renounce most diplomacy, renounce using city states, renounce using mounted units, and play on big maps only.

The ai offers no challenge, so military actions won't be fun. So what's left is empire building. But.

The game has very little depth. There is no challenge, and nothing to do:

-Military. Ok, when there's a decent ai, it can be fun. MP may be fun for those who liked Civ MP too, but in SP it's definitely not interesting.

-Culture: Everything is static, be it social policies or borders. The great artists culture bombing won't let you steal a city and is rather useless. Policies are fixed and you don't often have to make a choice. You also hardly can adjust your strategy mid-game since the next SP will cost you so much, you must stay on the path you started treading.

-Science: Most techs are underwhelming, and discovering a new tech is less advertised than getting a "New Turn".

-Terrain: Starting near flood plains or in the tundra doesn't make much difference. The map might as well be all grey considering the lack of impact it has on the game. Did you notice Civ V has food resources? (No, I didn't mean maritime city states.) Water tiles are also quite bad.

-Building: Wonders are underwhelming. Buildings only do one thing (no library giving science + culture), they feel formulaic and gamey. I don't feel like building a colosseum, I feel like building the next +happiness building.

-Diplomacy: Pretty irrelevant. Most of the nations you can do diplomacy with are city states, who can only be given gold or units, or attacked. The civ ai's are all waiting to backstab their neighbours and don't know how to play the game.

The result is a game with formulas and no soul. Playing on Deity is problem-solving, but once you've solved the puzzle, you can do it again and there's no fun in that. Playing on lower levels isn't anythign like challenging, and there's just nothing to do in the game.

So yes indeed, it's worrying.

When I discovered Civ, I loved it. When I found Civ 2, I loved it. Civ 3 I thought was just bad. Civ 4 I found great and marvelous. Civ 5 I found I needed to learn a new game, and realised I don't like it because it's shallow.

I just do not have the time to play at the moment.

Work is crazy at the moment.

whilst civ v as potential its got more bugs than civ 4 had on day 1 plus i dont fancy frying my GPU playing just one more turn.......................

Unless they Patch it fully so its multiplayer Compatible I think ill stick to playing Cities XL 2011 like Dale Suggested ;)

I Disagree with LDiCesare at this point. I had to play an extra warlord game to be able to win, though my previous prince games may have been sabotaged by horrendous geography. My last game (prince/large/epic) was enjoyable. May wait for the patch for my next game; perhaps I'll get back to my civ4 standard of huge/marathon soon.

I do have high hopes for improvements via Firaxis, but I just cannot go back to BtS now and probably never will.

um im sorry, but why do you have a problem with the AI?? i play a lot of games, but Civ was always my worst i could never win a game above settler, but in Civ 5 i can beat prince, and that makes me feel a little better, i would like to believe its because i had grown up a little, but i know its because the AI is only smart at much higher levels and im OK with that. now maybe you think that's a bad thing, but that just means that the difficulty scales more gradually making strategic morons such as myself feel less moronic. (when i played Civ 3 the difference between settler and warlord was so off putting) and if it is to easy there is always deity.

though it was funny when a civ declared war on me. (i was playing Gandhi getting the Boollywood achievement on prince). my tech was at least one era ahead if not almost 2, i had no army really. (i deployed it on a liberation mission of a city state on another continent) but the AI used melee units so weak that even with my city's health at 0 they couldn't get past my defense and i didn't even had walls every unit other than the catapults sent at me was distroyed before my riflemen returned from the the citystate. so the AI thought war was OK just because my army was away. Thing is i had so much gold i just bought one the next turn, one turn later, they where begging for peace. i signed of course, and continued my way to utopia. achievement unlocked!

There are no morons.

There are just people who like, have time and patience to think about the game and people who don't.

I, for one, just like games that, when I begin, I'm never sure if I'm able to win or not; and, if I win, victory is never easy.

Civ 5 SP (unless last patch changed it) is never a chalenge.

It's a good thing that people are able to win and have fun on settings that are not the lowest. It's sad that a player who struggled at monarch and found it fun now wins easily and without challenge at deity.

I came back to see if the patch made the game better: I keep preventing myself from doing too efficient stuff when I play. I'm afraid I'll soon get bored with that.

I, for one, just like games that, when I begin, I'm never sure if I'm able to win or not; and, if I win, victory is never easy.

Civ 5 SP (unless last patch changed it) is never a chalenge.

Need different game settings (and a larger sample), or just different style of play (aka 'house rules')?

I'm in a large/epic continents game, I've got just 2 allied CS (1 maritime, 1 culture), half-dozen cities + 4 pups. I've had a couple small wars with the Chinese, my only continental AI neighbor, taking 2 resourced cities each time. I'll have another war or 2 with them to clean them out.

The frogs are on another continent, shared with 3 other civs. Nappy has 1-1/2 times my population (85/120+) and maybe twice my number of cities, has more SPs than I, and is half an age ahead tech-wise. Of course, he's also getting most of the wonders.

I'm wondering by which method I'm going to LOSE this game. :(

And it's just Prince difficulty.

--

Yes, the patch changed it, though whether it did enough to satisfy YOU only YOU can determine. :p

Just fyi, took a look in at CivFanatics and the community, for the most part, hate this game. There's a thread as to whether its the worst Civ release ever and it 'wins' that contest almost 3 to 1 over Civ III and even beats Civrev. I'd say that it may well be that WPC is being very kind to Civ V.

I have to thank my irritation at Firaxis using Steam for saving me $50. Also, this is my new way to buy games. Let the game I'm interested in come out, get played and reviewed by fans and only buy when the people say its worth playing. Save some dough, avoid some frustration, and not end up with a game on the shelf that I wish I didn't pay top dollar for.

I don't own Civ V, never played it, and I know enough about it now to make an informed choice.

Wait.

Edited by Lancer