Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Unorthodox

Uno's road trip to hell and back.

22 posts in this topic

First of October and I'm being sent to the land that's never heard of Halloween. :(

Ah well, make the best of it.

The morning moon well before dawn.

_IGP0573.JPG

Sunrise in Idaho

_IGP0575.JPG

Lower geyser basin. I knew that tall plume was something erupting, and know the unpredictable nature of these so snapped this from a distance.

_IGP0577.JPG

That's what you call a warning sign.

_IGP0578.JPG

That geyser erupting from the distance....still going by the time I hiked to it. (some erupt for hours, some for minutes, never know...I remember a LOT more information panels when I was here years ago)

_IGP0584.JPG

_IGP0581.JPG

_IGP0582.JPG

"Jet geyser"

_IGP0585.JPG

"fountain geyser"

_IGP0586.JPG

"twig geyser", I think this is as impressive as it erupts...guessing by the name

_IGP0590.JPG

A fumarole....sounds like a beast from hell breathing underneath.

_IGP0594.JPG

_IGP0595.JPG

_IGP0596.JPG

Pretty hot spring...

_IGP0597.JPG

Explanation of the above fumarole. I seemed to remember most geysers having these explaining how often they erupt, etc. Don't know what's up with that now...

_IGP0598.JPG

Fountain paint pots.

_IGP0600.JPG

nice blue hot spring.

_IGP0604.JPG

Terrible timing....

_IGP0605.JPG

Just 20 minutes. I had a choice...wait for Old Faithfull, or go try to take a look at Castle and Grand that were currently active.

_IGP0607.JPG

There it is....Old Faithful. I don't feel +1 happy yet...

_IGP0608.JPG

Geyser hill.

_IGP0610.JPG

"beehive geyser" Nice little wall built up there.

_IGP0612.JPG

Mysterious smoking mound next to old faithful. Don't remember that before....

_IGP0614.JPG

No posted info on these...

_IGP0617.JPG

_IGP0618.JPG

_IGP0621.JPG

Old Faithful's show...

Puff....

_IGP0623.JPG

Stop...

_IGP0624.JPG

There she blows.

_IGP0626.JPG

_IGP0627.JPG

_IGP0629.JPG

Time to put some more miles down.

"right of way"

_IGP0633.JPG

_IGP0636.JPG

_IGP0637.JPG

Townsend. Last refuge of sanity...

Too bad I missed the festival. Oct1-3

_IGP0638.JPG

_IGP0639.JPG

Wolf creek: Kickass canyon.

_IGP0640.JPG

If this were Utah, these would be witches...

_IGP0641.JPG

_IGP0644.JPG

_IGP0645.JPG

Now I sit, surrounded by flat, no signs of Halloween to be found....

Cool warnings from Yellowstone...

_IGP0647.JPG

_IGP0648.JPG

I grew up in Rotorua in New Zealand - absolute truckloads of geothermal activity.

We have pretty much everything except the bison in your pics.

I grew up in Rotorua in New Zealand - absolute truckloads of geothermal activity.

We have pretty much everything except the bison in your pics.

It's the scope that just can't be understood by these mere pics.

I spent all of 2-3 hours in the park. I nicked a mere 20 mile stretch of road of it's 2 million + acres, and only pulled off at 2 of the thermal areas of the 10 I passed in that mere 20 miles. Old faithful due to it's fame, and lower Geyser basin due to the fact you can see every type of thermal feature there, if less spectacular versions than can be found scattered elsewhere around the park.

There was plenty more wildlife to pic if I had a mind to, but elk, deer, and more bison with the occasional fox and coyote simply didn't interest me, personally on my time crunch.

The scale of the geothermal activity inand around Rotorua is pretty big as well. I can remember my Dad taking us as kids to Mt. Tarawera, and taking us down into the crater. It was very cool, and a little bit scary as a 7 year old. Steam still venting, sulphur sinks etc etc.

Mum was not so impressed when she found out we had all been into the crater of a semi active volcano.

Dad always took us on the best days out...............

great pics Uno :b:

Is that the park that is part of that huge currently dormant volcano? the one that can destroy most of the usa if it goes off again in a big way?

Yeah, it's Yellowstone. It happened to be between my home and destination, couldn't pass the opportunity to at least stop through a portion. So, I didn't get to pic any of the great waterfalls or the grand canyon, just the geothermal area.

So if we wanted we could call ya "Sulfur Guy"? :eek:

So if we wanted we could call ya "Sulfur Guy"? :eek:

Or Vegas Boy or many other things.

Yep....hell....

_IGP0650.JPG

But, with daylight failing because mapquest royally blows in this town, I didn't get down to the river with much daylight left...

_IGP0651.JPG

It is, perhaps, the most impressive river I've ever seen, however. We'll try to get more pics of it tomorrow in some more impressive areas.

_IGP0652.JPG

Chimney, propane tank....IS THAT A PIZZA OVEN ON THE BACK OF A TRUCK?

_IGP0654.JPG

Looks like a ghost condom made it's phantom way to hell too...

Apparently a co-worker up here "also goes all out for Halloween".

A collection of Spirit Halloween items to line the driveway seems to count out this way. And, the ideas of The Harvest have been called boring by yet a fifth 'Halloween' person. That makes 100% of those I've talked to think my idea for this year is boring. Yep, Uno's gone soft. That's what everyone believes.

Tonights wanderings.

I'm sure this is there to commemorate something on this spot, but there was no info anywhere near it.

_IGP0655.JPG

So, what are they looking at?

Well, you MIGHT be able to see it if someone hadn't built a dam and slapped a bridge right in front of it... (also cursing my lack of a polarized lense...)

_IGP0656.JPG

A little further up stream is a better view of "eagle falls"

_IGP0660.JPG

I don't know if the lack of water is from it being fall, or from the dam

That's gotta be Sacajawea, Lewis and Clarke - not necessarily in that order.

My guess is that the water is due to fall, not the dam, as there are so many stinking federal water regulations, that unless they are doing flood control, they should be matching average daily flows for that time of year.

From there we headed down river.

_IGP0664.JPG

I've never really seen so much flat. How is one supposed to navigate this expanse of NOTHING? Wish I would have seen the crops growing, that might have been interesting.

_IGP0659.JPG

down river was "rainbow falls". After ANOTHER dam.

_IGP0657.JPG

_IGP0658.JPG

Unfortunately trying to get FURTHER down river resulted in the road turning into a dirt trail that veered away from the river and into that sea of flat.

I tried to cross the river and follow it downstream on the OTHER side, but that road ended up in a little shanty town with one too many toothless faces staring at me as I drove on by. I've seen that movie, don't need to live it...good luck selling that ~'47 chevy pickup with the bent frame up on blocks with the 'for sale by owner' sign duct taped to the windshield there...

I tried to cross the river and follow it downstream on the OTHER side, but that road ended up in a little shanty town with one too many toothless faces staring at me as I drove on by.

Welcome in the far west? ;)

Funny to see how the falls are "preserved" by slapping a dam just upstream of it. :shame:

Funny to see how the falls are "preserved" by slapping a dam just upstream of it. :shame:

Yeah, I was a little sad to see that.