Start date

Start when?   13 members have voted

1. 1. Start when?

• October 1 ish
    • October 7 ish
    • October 15 ish
    • November 1 ish
    • November 15 ish

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

I did think of that - but my brain struggled with missing numbers.

Your way is probably more elegant than mine, and in some ways makes more sense.

Again, however, for some reason I struggle with the missing numbers.

This is not a reason not to adopt this system however ;)

OK - kinda see your point.

I vote for Godking and RobWorham to do everything, except post snarky comments, which be the role of Rhoth, con and myself.

;)

Reporting for duty as ordered :salute:

So - as a suggestion:

* Not call the first game a SPDG - call it the WePlayCiv5 for the First Time

* Have open threads in the Civ 5 forum - no subforum

* We choose someone as the turn player

* They play up to a point where by they reach something in the game that they feel needs community input (techs, founding cities, social policy choices) etc

* These are then opened up for comment - say for 24/36 hours - and then we play on.

* Maybe we have a different turnplayer every week.

I think it is paramount to get this up and running ASAP.

I would be happy to be a turn player once my disc arrives on the pacific isle I currently reside on.

I know the above does not cover all possibilities, but I think the DG has shown that we are mature enough not to have crybaby hissy fit's if we don't get our own way. And we can always decide "Hey - looks look war is gonna happen soonish - maybe we need to slow the pace down, get some kind of war council going".

I like your suggestions Nugog!

Good game name idea! :b: Let's play down the 'democracy game' label and let the game evolve as it may. I suggest promoting the 'community' aspect of the game and work on something like 'We Play Civ V Community Game'

I also like the idea of having it running in the main Civ V forum. What better way to keep all the posting together, rather than usher it into a seperate forum or sub forum. For the sake of clarity we could prefix all Community Game threads with the [WE PLAY CIV 5] heading and have a topped [WE PLAY CIV 5] thread with links to all the relevant threads!

I'm also keen to blend the community game into a type of succession game. What about shortening the presidency period to 1 or 2 weeks, and/or X number of turns, whichever comes sooner? This would a) lessen the burden on any one player b) make the prospect of standing for presidency more appealing to new players and c) rotate the presidency quicker should the president be dragging his heals. Players would still need to be voted in by popular vote, but this would allow for more dynamic changes in the game as we could, as a community, react to the changes in the game quicker.

War looming on our eastern borders? Vote a good warmonger into the top job!

Things settled down and a period of stability needed? Vote an uber builder in to get things moving....

Lastly, I also think we need to keep the decison making windows as short as possible, so the pace of the games moves along and there is always something new and exciting for people to revisit WPC for.

I'd really prefer a subforum simply to keep all the threads in one place. There are going to be a whole host of threads for Civ5...general questions, strategies, etc. Demogame thread will get lost in the shuffle if they aren't in their own forum.

I know in the past the actual turns were done in IRC chatrooms so everyone could play along too.

So, do we go down the IRC chatroom route, or have 'dynasty' type threads.

When I say 'dynasty' I mean a thread for the turns of each president, rather than a thread for each turn (or group of turns) played. If we are going to have the game in the main CivV forum we don't want to flood it with too many seperate threads......

I'd really prefer a subforum simply to keep all the threads in one place. There are going to be a whole host of threads for Civ5...general questions, strategies, etc. Demogame thread will get lost in the shuffle if they aren't in their own forum.

Point taken Rhoth (and godking), but I'm nervous about the game not getting noticed by new arrivals. Sure us die-hards would be able and willing to find it if we hid it in the darkest corner of WPC, but new blood needs to be able to find it with absolutely no effort at all!

Whether that means a permenant link presence on the front page, 'title bar' button, forum page, topped thread on the Civ V forum, or all these and more, I'm not sure.....

Look at the new blog feature at WPC. It's not exactly jumping out at me, even though I find the feature interesting and I have now subscribed to some of them. There seems to be no easy way to see when a member of WPC makes a new blog.....

Re calling out movement etc

From the main Civ V forum

So with the hex tile system, will it still be possible to move units using the keypad? If so what are the numbers used for the movement?

I guess we should use the keyboard convention, presuming there is one, to make the calls.

Looking at the ingame screenshots, it looks like the grid you are using above isn't the same as the one used ingame, further confusing matters!

5000227098_5f09ce5a4a_m.jpg

Looking at my keyboard it looks like the alphabet keys on the main keyboard would be best suited, but I can't imagine we would call things as UY etc...... :(

I like the thought of getting it off the ground ASAP. I will comply with any system we come up with for the moves, but I think that Nugog's system will be easiest to understand, since it is very similar to the system we have used in the past and corresponds with the clock - which we are all very familiar with. It would be difficult to become accustomed to the systems proposed by con and rob, though they are both good systems. I think I would be more comfortable using a 1-6 clockwise method than a counterclockwise 1,2, skip a few method (again, no offense intended, I'm just giving an opinion on the subject) or even a Y,U,H, J, etc. method. I would be far more comfortable with Nugog's method, personally.

Me too, except that there is no natural 'top' hex to start at number 1 with, so I'm guessing we'd have to start with the top right hex....

Alternatively we could use

NE / E / SE / SW / W / NW

But I'm not sure that is too wieldy for forum use....

NE-E-NE

Could get messy....... ;)

The numbering is something I just have to remember and it will work. Alpha-keys can give problems for people on azerty-keyboards for example ;) So I would vote against that....

OK - kinda see your point.

I vote for Godking and RobWorham to do everything, except post snarky comments, which be the role of Rhoth, con and myself.

;)

Seriously though, the site is called WePlayCiv for a reason.

So - as a suggestion:

* Not call the first game a SPDG - call it the WePlayCiv5 for the First Time

* Have open threads in the Civ 5 forum - no subforum

* We choose someone as the turn player

* They play up to a point where by they reach something in the game that they feel needs community input (techs, founding cities, social policy choices) etc

* These are then opened up for comment - say for 24/36 hours - and then we play on.

* Maybe we have a different turnplayer every week.

I think it is paramount to get this up and running ASAP.

I would be happy to be a turn player once my disc arrives on the pacific isle I currently reside on.

I know the above does not cover all possibilities, but I think the DG has shown that we are mature enough not to have crybaby hissy fit's if we don't get our own way. And we can always decide "Hey - looks look war is gonna happen soonish - maybe we need to slow the pace down, get some kind of war council going".

Don't get me wrong this sounds like a great idea but looks like a succession game with added input. And we should probably do a SG as well.

SP Demo-games should go a bit slower and have a heck of a lot more input, I think what we need to do is figure out how to play it to encourage input/draw more people.

With that being said one or two or three of us should plan on forming political parties at the get go.

Plan on having polls after polls after polls.

And we need some flashy stuff, not sure what I am hoping to get some more input. I think Robbies stuff is a good start as well as the stuff in the Rome thread.

Active political parties will be a big help. And asking input from the masses certainly will as well.

I really would like to hear from GK and UnO on this point as well, both of them were very involved in the SP Demo-game community, much more than I.

Gotta run, the old ball and chain is calling :)

Back when all demo games were SP, the political party thing helped provided some good enthousiam for the game, as long as the people understood that it was all in fun. I do remember one election where the person was a warmonger, was elected turnplayer, then declared war on a bunch of AI without consulting anybody else, because "it was the platform I ran on, and I won". Really ruined the purpose behind demo gaming, as it was at that point just a sucession game with a lot of folks watching it.

I wouldn't start any until a couple weeks into the game, near the first election. I think that until then, there are just a lot of things that can be done, such as in the Rome thread.

Some things, like the movement order, I want to see how the game plays before I give an opinion. I have played several hex based games in the past, and each method has had some bonus and negative associated with it. However we decide, though, I think will become the standard for many demo games to come - so I want it to be the best possible.

I did not like the political parties. They were a devisive force that bred competition instead of cooperation. I say this as defacto leader of one of the parties. Some people took that all WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. The DIA found it funny to keep my email and PM boxes permanently full during my first presidency (well, VP, but WIA computer blew up which appointed me real quick), for instance. We won't even touch some of the other annoyances they felt 'fun'.

The more public 'fun' of creating voting blocks specifically to drive your own parties agenda was not exactly conducive to building a community.

I'ld like to see the likes of Harovan's old war academy, whatever Togas called his foreign affairs group, and the culture group take their place. They were non-affiliated groups that took to very academic discussions and plans for the situations that arose.

Edited by Unorthodox

I'm going to buck the trend and vote for Nov 1st. I think a good solid month with the game solo will give people a good grasp of how to play before we jump into a demogame. Of course, if we are looking at the DG as purely a learning experience, earlier is better. But, if we want to get into more of the "fun" of a DG, I think it might be hard to try role playing/political partying/etc while still learning the game at the same time.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0