Start date

Start when?   13 members have voted

1. 1. Start when?

• October 1 ish
    • October 7 ish
    • October 15 ish
    • November 1 ish
    • November 15 ish

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

When do you think we should have the official kick off start of the game?

Forgot to add in the option of other, if you have another date, just post it.

I am thinking November 1ish.

I'm not decided yet...

On the one hand I'd say around October 7th. That way we (I) don't have to wait that long :)

On the other hand, as discussed earlier (or maybe that was in the Apocalypto forum...) we should wait for the first patch, but there is of course no date known for that...

doubt, doubt, doubt... :hmmm::confused:

PS: If one of our goals is to attract new folks to CiV and this site, it might be worth it to be the first community to start a SPDG. Which makes me think to start it as soon as possible, so more like October 1st...

Not too sure.....

Watching the 2 hour 2K video, it looks like there is a lot of new things to learn, so I'm thinking mid October at the earliest, maybe Nov 1st.....

I say 7th or 15th.

I thought the whole point of the first SPDG was to learn publically, mnove quickly, be the first site doing this.

If we scragg it up and lose - does it matter?

If we make oopsies - and this will be a fully public game - then will it not lead to discussions, conversation, learning, and for the site more posts?

Also - if we rush through one, and a patch comes along - if we have messed stuff up, then we can start another one, with the patch as a perfect excuse.

On the other hand - as this is a SP game - patches "should" not break the save - and then we can all argue about the effects the patch has had.

I really think sooner is better than later.

I voted the 1st. I agree with Nugog that this could be a very helpful public way to learn the game. New members would love to see some old hands trying the new game and getting involved.

As long as we can rush a neighbor, I am all for starting, sooner than later. I am overdue for another "kill".

muhahahahahahahahaha

Agree with Nugog. As soon as possible.

Because I see this game - the first one for everybody - as a tutorial, not a "perfect" game.

Tied for right now... lets see if anybody else cares to add in any comments. If not, I think we aim for the 7th or so, with the first week being setup and advertising.

I've made up my mind :) I'm going for as soon as possible, which makes me pick October 1st in the poll. We can all learn from it and hopefully it attracts new people to these forums!

I vote Oct 1st with the caveat that we have someone in mind to be playing the turns by then

My concern is do we have enough people willing to step up this early and make it work?

It just seams really rushed to me. But, so be it.

How are we going to select officers for the first term?

My concern is do we have enough people willing to step up this early and make it work?

That's what I meant. Depends on what govt format you guys decided on.

If you need 10 ministers and a presidency....probably not. If you need a Pres/VP and expect everyone else to input, probably can be done, just make sure the Pres/VP actually gets threads posted for discussion and a few of the vets here make sure to actually provide input there.

I personally think Donald is ready to take a position, if not president.

Time to go public, IMO. get the basic setup :we're playing rome on map type x, and whatever else plus the constitution if it's done and get a signup thread going in the public forum and start nominations and voting there.

Or tear down the wall here...

I'm going for Oct 7th

Gives us 1 week to get the game (24th for most of the world), get familiar with the interface etc, and go public.

Then another week to get some interest generated and things sorted before kick off!

It just seams really rushed to me. But, so be it.

OK - kinda see your point.

I vote for Godking and RobWorham to do everything, except post snarky comments, which be the role of Rhoth, con and myself.

;)

Seriously though, the site is called WePlayCiv for a reason.

So - as a suggestion:

* Not call the first game a SPDG - call it the WePlayCiv5 for the First Time

* Have open threads in the Civ 5 forum - no subforum

* We choose someone as the turn player

* They play up to a point where by they reach something in the game that they feel needs community input (techs, founding cities, social policy choices) etc

* These are then opened up for comment - say for 24/36 hours - and then we play on.

* Maybe we have a different turnplayer every week.

I think it is paramount to get this up and running ASAP.

I would be happy to be a turn player once my disc arrives on the pacific isle I currently reside on.

I know the above does not cover all possibilities, but I think the DG has shown that we are mature enough not to have crybaby hissy fit's if we don't get our own way. And we can always decide "Hey - looks look war is gonna happen soonish - maybe we need to slow the pace down, get some kind of war council going".

OK - kinda see your point.

I vote for Godking and RobWorham to do everything, except post snarky comments, which be the role of Rhoth, con and myself.

If I must...

reaganberlinwall.jpg

Mr. Dale, tear down this wall! :doitnow!:

As I'm rather new to this... I'm not sure what kind of positions are possible. Seems to me that we need an turnplayer and some folk to provide input/discussion.

On the turnplayer thing, I would definitely love to be in the rotation schedule.

Maybe it is indeed time to make all this public. And like Nugog said: post threads in the Civ5 forum, no subforums. My guess would be that people find that easier and a lower step to read (and post) along. We can start by posting the basic game-setup. And maybe even the people (person) who fills the first term.

This is all meant to make it as easy as possible for new folks to follow and participate.

I voted for ASAP. I'll be buying the game on the 21st of September, and will get a lot of playing time the following weekend. I agree with what others have said, calling the game WePlayCiv5 for the first time. Turnplayer can post the first few turns in pictures without too much difficulty. I know in the past the actual turns were done in IRC chatrooms so everyone could play along too.

I'm available to play Oct 1-2 if we're at that point, but with less than a week to release I think this should go public.

I am all for opening the forum up.

I am not sure about posting it all in the Civ5 general forum though - things will get lost, and other questions that just general folks have about general games may also get lost. If it ends up the general forum is dead (which I doubt), sure, not a problem. Particularly as you look at the Civ4 general forum and it is just PBEM trackers. What I would like is to have a new forum, just between the Civ5 and Civ4, that is just this game. After the game is over, move it to a sub forum of 5. It gets lots of activity in that spot, which is what we are trying to accomplish - more people for WPC, and more for demo games in general.

We do have a lot of details to work out though prior to starting a game. If I were to be a turn player (and I can, for October, but not for November or December), then I won't be able to start until the 7th - though we can do some basic stuff prior to then. Remember, we have yet to figure out some things like Difficulty level (Chieftan, Warlord, Prince [my vote], king, emperor, immortal or Deity). I think we were just doing a 2 person (pres & vp) style game, which should be good and easy to set up. Donald would be a good choice for turn player, IMHO. I would basically like to have the game ready to go when we start the public forum - just an announcement saying "this is what we are doing, here are the game setting, please join us!" to open the forum with, along with perhaps a picture of the turn 0 save.

Also, with the switch to hexes, anybody think of a good way to give directions yet, both for units and for city workers? We can always redo the number thing for the hexes around the cities (i.e. move from iron in hex 3 to horses in hex 11), but a unit... move 7? what is 7? NW, but how does that work with hexes ya know, to keep things clear. This is the reason I think we should wait a little bit so we can be clear. Nothing like the organizers being confused to detract and put people off.

Also, with the switch to hexes, anybody think of a good way to give directions yet, both for units and for city workers?

Simple idea - we nominate a number system.

A two unit move would be say 1,2.

hex.jpg

Fine with me. It's very similar to what we used in the Apoc forum for orders...just with 6 destinations instead of 8

Yeah - it has been used in all the DG's I have been involved in as well.

It will take a bit of getting used to (old habits die hard and all that stuff), but it is usable.

Why not use the NUM keys like this :

hex.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0