bdanv

Introducing 'turn-mover CMNs': do you like the idea or not?

8 posts in this topic

how about introducing some dedicated "turn-movers", a kind of independent observer who has the passwords to all the factions and will step in to advance the turn if any one player holds up the game. All in the name of keeping the game moving.

I would be willing to step into this role as an independent and impartial CMN. The only issue is that I don't own the expansion (I can't remember if you all had decided on vanilla or cross fire or what, I just figured I would mention my limitation).

the 'turn-mover' should be one of the active CMNs as only they will have all the passwords.

i'm ok with the concept as long as it will not involve the CMN in actively playing the game. he may find himself playing against him sometimes. :huh:

i think the 'turn-mover' should only open the save and hit the 'end turn' button to keep the game going on. this means the respective player will loose the movements of all the units he has and can only benefit from the production (if he has some going on at that time).

EDIT:

Note: we are not talking about 'pushing' the game during the 'out-of-town' / 'vacation leave' periods if those are duly announced in the TTT of the game.

Edited by bdanv

i think the 'turn-mover' should only open the save and hit the 'end turn' button to keep the game going on. this means the respective player will loose the movements of all the units he has and can only benefit from the production (if he has some going on at that time).

yes that's exactly what I had in mind!

In terms of the time-limit, I would say 48 hours before the turn gets "moved"

Also there should be a condition where the player gets dropped from the game. For example, if his turn is moved 3 times, consequentially, he should be replaced with another player or an AI if no replacement is available.

I also think that a small number of CMNs could help out with the turn-moving. You would have one dedicated CMN to the game, and some CMNs in a secondary role that would be only limited to the function of moving turns. Make it a team effort :)

..In terms of the time-limit, I would say 48 hours before the turn gets "moved"

Also there should be a condition where the player gets dropped from the game. For example, if his turn is moved 3 times, consequentially, he should be replaced with another player or an AI if no replacement is available.

you know, your avatar looks more like a 'SMAC PBEM police cat' lately! :D

I also think that a small number of CMNs could help out with the turn-moving. You would have one dedicated CMN to the game, and some CMNs in a secondary role that would be only limited to the function of moving turns. Make it a team effort :)

you are officialy appointed as 'turn-mover CMN'. now, let's find you some work to do!

you know, your avatar looks more like a 'SMAC PBEM police cat' lately! :D

Its time to crack down on these turn-dodging weasels!

you are officialy appointed as 'turn-mover CMN'. now, let's find you some work to do!

can't wait,

but one limitation, what shall we do if a tech-choice window pops up during a game that is played with directed research? I would propose that the turn not get moved. The stalling player should get kicked after a certain time period though. We can count every 48 hours as a missed turn period, and once a total of 3 missed turn periods have been accumulated, this number is cumulative with previously missed turn periods in previous turns where a turn movement was employed by the turn mover, the stalling player is booted from the game and replaced with AI.

And what is to be done during planetary council? Either have the player Abstain, or once again, wait as with the Tech Choice Window instance.

I think there should be some exceptions for cases when somebody goes on a trip (vacation) where he can't play for a week or two. Such case should be announced upfront of course not at the time of return... ;)

I think there should be some exceptions for cases when somebody goes on a trip (vacation) where he can't play for a week or two. Such case should be announced upfront of course not at the time of return... ;)

that's definitely the right way to go.

Ok here is my view on this..... Time limit should be agreed upon by the players in the game, as it is they that it will affect in the long run. enforcing a strict '48 hour' time limit i see as being over zealous and it will not always fit the game nor all players in that game.. hence y it should be set and agreed by the players not a set rule.. (might get away with it as a guide but even then thats a bit over keen)

but one limitation, what shall we do if a tech-choice window pops up during a game that is played with directed research? I would propose that the turn not get moved.

Again this is something that i would think that should be agreed upon within the players of the affected game.

from what you are proposing with this 'Turn-Mover' they are there to push along a turn in the absence of a player within the game, that is all the decision to replace the player with either a new player or an AI player is the decision of the other players in the game not the 'Turn-Mover CMN' (might be an executive decision by the Games CMN Actual but thats in an extreme case).

That comes as common sense, but if it comes down to say someone has no power at their house/city or an act of nature causes them not to be able to play or have access to a computer to let anyone know how would it be fair to just remove them from the game?

Make sure that if this goes ahead take all options into consideration when asking whether to replace a human player in the game....

just my thoughts on this comment as u wish,

DD

Edited by DDragon
After thought