Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Unorthodox

Recommend me a book....an audiobook...

63 posts in this topic

Very long, complicated, and kinda harry potter ish, but I liked it on audio - couldn't get into it reading it: I got I think 19 of the 32 hours into it driving to south carolina and back to detroit one weekend.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, by Susana Clarke

Ugh. 32 hours. I don't think I'ld finish that one...14 hours round trip, probably around 20 hours is max.

yeah at least you can in theory drive around your country for over 24 hours, i can get from cornwall to scotland(the longest length journey on my island) in about 9hours. we are tiny!

I can't help you because you are anti-D&D. The only audiobook I own is DragonLance Chronicles: Dragons of Autumn Twilight read by Peter MacNicol (Ghostbusters 2 & Numbers tv show).

I prefer "hardcopy" books, but I can see the appeal for long car trips.

Well, I went with one out of left field.

I was on my way with American Gods when I spied Wicked: The life and times of the wicked witch of the west. I've wanted to read this since it came out. This is the perfect opportunity.

I also actually bought a hard copy book while in the store! A collection of Halloween short stories.

I saw wicked the musical. Wife read the book, and kept noticing the differences, but we both though it was good. Even if there are some differences, if the book is as good (or better, as my wife thinks) as the play, then you should have a good one there.

Finally got around to finishing it. (had about 2 hours left after the car trip, but was a wee bit busy in October)

It's a strange experience that I liked the beginning, but the further along the book went, the more and more I became disappointed with the thing.

Klaatu Verada Nicto.

It's that time again folks. Only multiple long trips this time, sticking to highway 89, but south this time. Might hit the Grand Canyon and/or the Hoover Dam on one of the trips.

American Gods is back on the short list.

Frankenstein is getting put there because it's been years, it's cheap, and I'm in the mood...but it's short.

Still Life with Crows is also on there.

Open to more suggestions.

I recommend visiting your local public library. If yours are like mine in L.A. were, there's tons of audiobooks and they're free for two weeks. :D

I recommend visiting your local public library. If yours are like mine in L.A. were, there's tons of audiobooks and they're free for two weeks. :D

My local one don't. Downtown Ogden probably does, but it's a little bit of a drive into a less than desirable part of town, and I don't have the same protection I used to down there...

I see there's a netflix styled mail away rental service for Audiobooks. Trying to find a reasonably priced digital delivery version.

Edited by Unorthodox

http://www.hankthecowdog.com/books/24.htm

Horror and supernatural. The cowdog talks.

It's a good series and the author read it well, if I can recall correctly. Fairly amusing.

keep in mind--> "Again, the first printing sold out in a matter of weeks, but not to children. “In the beginning, I wasn’t doing programs in schools and never intended the story to be for children. My original audience consisted of adults, most of them involved in agriculture. I knew nothing about children’s literature, and still don’t.”"

:D

Got Reliquary off Itunes. It was a very good listen...but the ending just kept going...they probably could have trimmed 2 hours off and not hurt a thing.

Checked the library, no luck on the next Pendergast book, so got Angels and Demons, which I haven't read yet.

I listened to the audiobook, and was gobsmacked at the bad plot. Dan Brown also wrote Digital Fortress which is also bad.

Which is why I've got a dramatic reading (full cast) of Dracula and Frankenstein off Libravox. (public domain)

Any other oldies but goodies out there?

I remember years ago listening to a tale about Elizabeth Frankenstein. As I remember, it was very good.

Yeah...Angels and Demons lost me on the first couple chapers....glad I didn't pay for that.

Yeah...Angels and Demons lost me on the first couple chapers....glad I didn't pay for that.

"There's an anti-matter bomb planted somewhere in the building!" :panic:

"Nothing to worry about. Our sniffer dogs have gone through here, and there's absolutely no sign of explosives."

:wall: Hasn't anybody in this book ever seen an episode of Star Trek?!

Actually, they lost me with the super high altitude ludicrously fast passenger jet.

Picked up the first book in The Last Apprentice series. Title caught my eyes "Revenge of the Witch" Nothing else at the library was looking good, and I've been consuming everything to do with witches lately, so here's hoping. It's mindless background harry potter noise type stuff, supposedly 'creepy'. Perfect for my shorter drive to St George next weekend...with one of my boys.

Edited by Unorthodox

Downloading the History of Vathek off public domain.

1786 horror novel...for me. Haven't read before.

It's that time again, the annual trip to purgatory.

So, I need BOOOKS OOOOOONNNNNN TAAAAAAAAAAPEEEEEE!

Whatcha guys got?

I just got into game of thrones. No idea if it is good on audio book, as the character lines get rather complex.

Otherwise, just for hoots and giggles, I have had a few Clive Cussler books on audio, that were quick, fun, and definitely not serious.

I've gotten into The Dresden Files lately, and debating whether to just get the next in line in audio format...

I've seen Cussler's Zero Hour on a couple suggested lists recently, though...