Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Unorthodox

Recommend me a book....an audiobook...

63 posts in this topic

I need a book or two.

On tape.

For a 7 hour drive.

I like books that have a slight edge of horror (could be a heavy dose of this, NOT Steven King. Bleh. ), SciFi (no space and robots level stuff, close to home), or supernatural (realistic witches, not harry potter/D&D stuff) to them.

My only real requirement is it be GOOD and engaging.

Last two similar drives listened to The Relic (enjoyed, too short) and The DaVinci Code (hard to follow from the audio format).

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. Good sci-fi stuff without space or robots. :) It is a lengthy book though. I don't have any idea if it is available on audiobook.

I'll warn you that it is fairly graphic in certain parts though.

I rather like Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I found it an interesting read. Might suit some of your requirements in an off-the-beaten-path kind of way.

I have that in paperback, but haven't read it yet. I've heard good things about it.

Very.. Tempted... To... Give... Spoilers... Must... Resist!

If you can find it the original recording of 'Orson Welles 'War of the Worlds' and other stories by H.G.Wells' is great :b:

It's a double tape pack i got, i suppose about 160 mins total so not enough by itself........hmm i also have another double audio tape of 'Beowulf' by Seamus Heaney, which is another 160mins or so. Both are excellently read and it just depends on if the subject material is of interest to you.

That is a long drive you got ahead of you! america is simply massive compared to my little island :yes:

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. Good sci-fi stuff without space or robots. :) It is a lengthy book though. I don't have any idea if it is available on audiobook.

I'll warn you that it is fairly graphic in certain parts though.

"dystopian future.....mankind has colonized planets...." some crap that sounded like ghost in the shell....

That one's description really isn't doing it for me...

I rather like Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I found it an interesting read. Might suit some of your requirements in an off-the-beaten-path kind of way.

"The novel is a blend of Americana, fantasy, and various strands of ancient and modern mythology, all centering on a mysterious and taciturn protagonist, Shadow."

You have piqued my interest, sir....

Audio book clocking in at 20 hours runs a bit longer than I would really want, leaving about 5-6 hours after the round trip.

American Gods was a VERY good read, the sequel was not so much. I've been listening to Robinson Crusoe. Slow start but I have read the book every year since I was 9 and I always find something new and intriguing.

If you can find it the original recording of 'Orson Welles 'War of the Worlds' and other stories by H.G.Wells' is great :b:

Yes it is. :b: But, I've just listened to it through one of my old time radio podcasts.

It's a double tape pack i got, i suppose about 160 mins total so not enough by itself........hmm i also have another double audio tape of 'Beowulf' by Seamus Heaney, which is another 160mins or so. Both are excellently read and it just depends on if the subject material is of interest to you.

Don't care for Beowulf.

That is a long drive you got ahead of you! america is simply massive compared to my little island :yes:

It's my choice to drive instead of fly.

I'm not overly fond of planes to begin with, and given the choice of driving 7 hours, or spending a minimum of 4 hours dealing with 'flying' (check in, boarding, 1.5 hour flight, baggage claim, car rental, etc, and that's assuming I could find a direct flight), I'll take the 7 hour drive any day of the week.

Besides, I can drive home on 89, and swing through Yellowstone in fall on the way, maybe stop for a little jaunt through the geysers. It would be almost criminal to pass up such a chance.

Good call UnO. I don't fly unless it takes more than a day to drive there, even then I normally still drive.

Good call UnO. I don't fly unless it takes more than a day to drive there, even then I normally still drive.

Ditto.

And, living in Utah, we can hit pretty much anywhere in west within a day. It's why all the military distribution was built here in WWII, able to hit the gulf coast or the west coast as needed.

Other books on the list so far.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Lots of good reviews, horror, classic...only clocks at 11 hours, bit short.

Lair of the White Worm: Bram Stoker...what more is needed? Clocks at just over 6 hours, perfect for one way...would need a second...

The Hunger Games: hEt's recommendation. 11 hours, not long enough for round trip, too long for one way, and it's a series...

I'll throw Carmilla in there, a little 3 hour short that was inspirational to Bram Stoker's Dracula for if I decide on one of the 11 hour ones.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was certainly fun, and I say that as someone who is normally unable to appreciate Jane Austen. If you're looking for something on the less serious side, it would certainly be a good choice.

"dystopian future.....mankind has colonized planets...." some crap that sounded like ghost in the shell....

That one's description really isn't doing it for me...

Yes it has those, but the first two aren't really the focus. It is actually something of a murder mystery for a while. The ghost in the shell is a fair appellation though as the sleeving is a fairly major part of the plotline.

I hadn't even considered the length of the audiobook. It took me just over two weeks to read the paperback. I admit, I am a slow reader. I wasn't aware of a sequel, though. Is it Anansi Boys, Metaliturtle?

I hadn't even considered the length of the audiobook. It took me just over two weeks to read the paperback. I admit, I am a slow reader. I wasn't aware of a sequel, though. Is it Anansi Boys, Metaliturtle?

It is

Besides, I can drive home on 89, and swing through Yellowstone in fall on the way, maybe stop for a little jaunt through the geysers. It would be almost criminal to pass up such a chance.

Photos please! :)

Very long, complicated, and kinda harry potter ish, but I liked it on audio - couldn't get into it reading it: I got I think 19 of the 32 hours into it driving to south carolina and back to detroit one weekend.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, by Susana Clarke

...witches...

Did you say "witches??" :excited: Terry Prachett's "Wee Free Men" and the sequel "Hat Full of Sky."

From my Mom:

"The Last Child"

And

"The Mountain Between Us" (based in a childhood haunt of mine)

Did you say "witches??" :excited: Terry Prachett's "Wee Free Men" and the sequel "Hat Full of Sky."

Not a discworld fan.