Dolgorukov

Turn-Limited Multiplayer Games

Would you play this kind of multiplayer game?   7 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play this kind of multiplayer game?

• Yes
    • No way

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 posts in this topic

You know how PBEM games drag on forever, and at some point are abandoned? Well what if we agreed to limit the length of the game. Also playing a turn on time will be enforced and penalties given to those that stall games. What you be interested in playing a game like this? And would we be able to apply the results of the game to our ladder system?

So here's what I propose:

Game Length: 100 turns

Victory: Winner is the one with the highest AC score at the end of 100 turns from the start of the scenario.

Accelerated Start: Time Warp (without changes to units, start up positions by CMN)

Generate Random Map

Map Size: Standard

Blind Research: ON

UN Unity Ship Survey of Map available to all factions.

Players are not allowed to contact each other without encountering each other's units or bases.

Players are penalized for stalling games through inactivity. For example if you do not play your turn and end up stalling the game, 10 AC score points will be subtracted from your final score. We can allow for vacation considerations, as long as notice is given ahead of time.

The length of time that a player is given to play his turn will be agreed on by the players before the start of the game.

Feel free to chime in, don't be shy.

I think we can improve the rate at which a PBEM game goes by giving the involved players deadlines to submit their save for the next player to play.

Lets assume that:

Player 1 can usually play his turn from the hours of 1600 to 1930

Player 2 can usually play his turn from the hours of 2000 to 2259

Player 3 can usually play his turn after 2300

Then Player 1 would have to submit his played turn to Player 2 by 2000

Player 2 would have to submit his played turn to Player 3 by 2300

Player 3 would have to submit his played turn to Player 1 by 1600 of the next day

Deadlines assigned

No code has to be inserted here.

Scenario where the three players stick to deadlines, assuming that weekends have no deadlines.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7592&d=1281833462

Scenario where Players are failing to meet their deadlines.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7593&d=1281833462

Its possible to plan for 5 turns to be played every week. Now it would be great to design interesting multiplayer scenarios that can be played in just 40 turns. That means that the game would finish in 2 months if everything would go according to schedule.

That's the challenge I'd give to our modding and scenario creating community. Can you create a multiplayer scenario that could be played in no more than 40 turns and would provide an arena for players to compete and test their skills against each other? Can you make a scenario that would be fair and could be played over and over again like a chess game, while also allowing for a variety of strategies to be employed?

3 Player game_deadlines.JPG

3PlayerGame.JPG

I'd certainly be glad to pitvh in on the creative end, if needed.

Thank you BU, even if this idea ends up sputtering off the runway in an attempt to take off, I have yet another one that I plan to take into a different direction, where an artist like yourself may find freedom for expression. However you will likely see it emerge outside of the multiplayer domain.

i voted yes on your proposal. i will play such a game, but not for the ladder, not with blind research on!

Thank you BU, even if this idea ends up sputtering off the runway in an attempt to take off, I have yet another one that I plan to take into a different direction, where an artist like yourself may find freedom for expression. However you will likely see it emerge outside of the multiplayer domain.

:expect:

In relation to

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/showthread.php?4532-2-Player-Game-proposal-competitive

to sum it up, AC points can be accumulated in the following ways:

population: each citizen gives 1 AC point

technology: each technology gives 1 AC point

secret project: each project gives 25 AC points!

attaining victory: gives something like 1000 AC points I believe, but it is unattainable in 100 turns with blind research ON.

This means that you can either try to grow your faction as fast as possible to increase your population. Works well if you are starting out with the Planetary Transit System.

Focus on building secret projects if you can stay ahead in technology.

Or acquire secret projects through conquest!

Right now I'm thinking that it could be an interesting game. You start out with the full knowledge of what your opponent has and decide on a strategy early on. You can predict what strategy your opponent will employ to take victory. Of course he may try to surprise you and catch you off guard. Perhaps you thought that he would focus on being a builder and sit on his island building secret projects, and you thought that you would try to out-build him, but all of a sudden he unloads a raiding party along you coast line and goes after your own secret projects! 100 turns is not a long time, but since you know where everything is at the start of the game, you can plan ahead of time. For now I'm thinking this could be fun, and I really want to try it, hopefully I am not too far from the truth!

another thing, it allows some degree of spectatorship, because everyone can see what the Planet is like at the start of the scenario and can decide for themselves which faction is in the strongest position to win the scenario. Then await the resolution of the match. Once the game is over, the passwords could be released for the public to go into the game saves which would be attached to the posts in the turn tracking thread. Someone could even write a summary of the game highlighting the more exciting parts of it, the pivot points and other critical moments.