raf0485

Excerpt from a chainmail sent to me from a Conservative friend.

16 posts in this topic

I laughed out loud. Really. I figured I would even spell it out here, without abbreviation just to show you how absurd I found the thought. I don't believe a previously existing thread covered it well enough, so I figured I'd make a new one.

We'll continue to believe healthcare is a luxury and not a right.

Hmmm... I won't comment further, but will invite comments from others.

If he's sending you junk forwards, he's not much of a friend.

It was a she. Most of the mail she sends is right-wing junk...

I think that, in her mind, she's trying to show me the error of my ways... But most of them disgust me.

My mom gets a lot of 'nostagia for the fifties' sorta stuff - you know, back when it was good to be white. :nod:

LOL. Darn hippies took away our birthright! :p

Being white is still pretty awesome. I don't mind if women and minorities get a fair shake now - as long as they speak English. :DD

Honestly, I think it kinda sucks at times. A lot of people think you're racist and things like that.. Just because you're white. I think sometimes they don't even realize that that is racist, itself. Anyway...

Thank you for posting this. It reminds me I haven't had one of these from my brother-in-law in months, and I failed to savor the reprieve.

Oh. I meant to say "Did the chainmail come with a shield and helmet? "

Edited by Rusty Edge

yeah i read it in that context at first(been watching a cool series about the norman conquest of britian)! :)

"We'll continue to believe healthcare is a luxury and not a right."

If i'm very critical of it it would be the part about calling healthcare a luxury. It probably isn't a 'right' in that just because you are a life form that doesn't automatically mean you should get free healthcare(and yes i used the term life form instead of human).

But yeah healthcare has always been part of the human experience, from way back in the early stone age onwards. heck even animals look after their own health to a certain degree(dogs eating grass if they have eaten something 'bad' etc).

So yeah while it could be argued it is not a default right, it could be argued it is not a bad aspiration to aim for, after all what is the crime in wanting a longer life and better health? It's not exactly a crime like causing an oil leak in the bay of mexico, or bombing and killing civilians in gaza is it?

But yeah the right wingers(and all the 'little evil men™') are a strange lot much of the time :yes:

It's not like we can't afford it; they're being greedy. They made the same arguments against social security and still make them against welfare. They don't care who dies in what ditch, though they hope it's soon.

Rights come from laws.

Laws are made by men.

So,...it depends.

What depends? I'm not talking about rights; I'm talking about doing the right thing. Read Zkribler's sig line.

We'll continue to believe healthcare is a luxury and not a right.

Words can't describe the stupidity of this statement.