Zkribbler

Immortality...

21 posts in this topic

I wuz poking around with a sci-fi concept involving cloning, which segueyed into thinking about potential immortality via some kind of mental "transplant." However, cloning won't, in itself, lead to immortality because I've now indentified five types of death. :scared:

(1) Ageing -- Although disease steps in a severs the final stands of life, it's ageing which "does the heavy lifting" by degenerating the body and leaving it vunerable to disease. [bTW: It is here, cloning will be the most effective in preventing death.]

(2) Injury -- Car accidents, shootings. [Cloning will have no effect here --unless there can be an instantaeous mental transfer to a waiting clone.]

(3) Deprivation -- No food, no water, no air, no heat [i.e. freezing]

(4) Disease, genetic -- Flaws in a person's DNA which will ultimately lead to death. [some may argue that ageing is one example of this.]

(5) Disease, microbes bacteria and viruses.

It looks to me as if cloning [combined with mind transplants and genetic engineer] could counteract ageing and disease, genetic, but will have little or no affect on injuries, deprivations and/or disease, microbes.

Are there any other ways of dying I haven't thought of?

What are the ramifications of immortality ... besides overpopulation?

Violence. Kinda along the lines of injuries, I guess. But, a small nuke going off in your toilet tends to not leave much behind to really identify as "injured".

Issues in general with immortality are related with general biology - you will run out of memory, for example, if nothing else. You will wear out your teath I guess, as another example, can probably have issues like that solved. Probably.

Boredome will become an issue. Eventually, everybody has had sex with everybody else and everything that could be done had been done by everybody. At least, that assumes there is time before the universe ends, but even that shouldn't be an issue when you're immortal, simply a minor inconvenience causing a change of scenery.

Eh, hope these random thunks help.

Likely in the early stages people would care for the planet more since they would be there to deal with whatever mess they make.

Death of someone you know would be a great shock as that sort of thing would be more rare than currently.

Funeral parlors would mostly go out of business.

Ditto hospitals if people no longer get sick.

Eventually depression would be widespread. In a thousand or ten thousand or a million years people would become bored with simply living. On the lower economic scale this would be much more prevalent as people flipping burgers etc would get absolutely sick of life.

War would replace old age as the only way people died so there would be more wars as a result of resources being depleted.

Eventually with nothing left we would mostly live in grass huts wanting to die. Others would be slowly crawling across the galaxy heading for new planets to consume with their eternity.

At the end of time when all the stars go out the last of humanity would freeze to death, the end of a long and boring greed for the only existence they know and fear of the unknown beyond this life...

There are economic/class issues, too; the rich would have clones waiting for that accident, while the rest just died. It might lead to strong social tensions.

There are economic/class issues' date=' too; the rich would have clones waiting for that accident, while the rest just died. It might lead to strong social tensions.[/quote']

Sounds like Altered Carbon. :)

I'm unfamiliar with that work; it just seems obvious. The rich always get more of the good stuff.

Boredom?? Bah, that's easy to fix. Let them build houses in the Philippines. :nod::b:

Peter F Hamilton is dealing with the issues in his books, not at any greater depth. But still...

I'm unfamiliar with that work; it just seems obvious. The rich always get more of the good stuff.

Good sci-fi/noir book by Richard K. Morgan

Peter F Hamilton is dealing with the issues in his books, not at any greater depth. But still...

Kim Stanley Robinson was before him I think in his Mars Trilogy. ;)

I tried to read it but I got bored... ;)

Mars Trilogy certainly addresses this issue in quite some detail. The physical issues of ageing were dealt fixed, the mental issues not so.....

The main problem with immortality is that eventually, you would just be floating in space. Forever.