Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
godking

Making the Southern Cross Bleed!

66 posts in this topic

Hmm, scratch that on avoiding being hit. They have four catapults halfway between Hapina and Mukata. The Mukata reserve force is close enough that they could hit us with those cats and put the crossbow, two axes, and two war elephants into Mukata for defense. We'll definitely need all we have, but if we can destroy them quickly then that will be a significant chunk of their forces down on the second turn of the war. Plus they really don't have a whole lot of units to their west, and that is where the French will attack.

And lets hope the AI does it reasonably well. ....sigh ... But any show of strength from the French will be a good thing, and will necessitate a response from SC.

Exactly. SC will almost have to put units over there or they will lose Te Tai Rei and Te Utu. If they concentrate on us they will lose those cities. If they concentrate on the French then we will romp. If they split between the two then it will be easier for both of us. Now we just have to hope the French cooperate and actually bring siege units this time. They could romp over Te Tai Rei's forces easily if it weren't for the 60% bonus to defense (frankly so could a group of our cavalry if it weren't for that defense bonus...but if we try to attack them with only cavalry we'll suffer horrendous losses).

Can we use our caravel to scout out the cities on the far end of SC?

Edit: I should post that in a turn thread, coming up :)

So, what do we do if we get to the gates of one of their cities, and realize it will be suicide to attack, because SC has prepared adequately. I've watched the AI do enough suicide sieges to realize it could be fatal.

If we do get to that point, or even prior to that if we think we can't make any decisive offensive move, how about we go on a burn and pillage campaign. There are sufficient good defensive tiles in the northern half of SC's territory that we could move a decent size stack into one of them and pillage the surrounding towns and improvements. The ideal units to do this are cavalry with the mobility/movement promotion. They can move onto a tile, pillage, and move back to the safety of the stack. Even without such units, a good stack of mixed defenders would survive quite well in enemy territory, provided it did not try to take any cities.

I appreciate that this would be a last resort type option, but we may get to that point. Just thought I would throw it out now to sow some seeds.

Yep, that's certainly a possibility, though at least with the first city we should have enough trebuchets to do some damage to them.

So, what do we do if we get to the gates of one of their cities, and realize it will be suicide to attack, because SC has prepared adequately. I've watched the AI do enough suicide sieges to realize it could be fatal.

If we do get to that point, or even prior to that if we think we can't make any decisive offensive move, how about we go on a burn and pillage campaign. There are sufficient good defensive tiles in the northern half of SC's territory that we could move a decent size stack into one of them and pillage the surrounding towns and improvements. The ideal units to do this are cavalry with the mobility/movement promotion. They can move onto a tile, pillage, and move back to the safety of the stack. Even without such units, a good stack of mixed defenders would survive quite well in enemy territory, provided it did not try to take any cities.

I appreciate that this would be a last resort type option, but we may get to that point. Just thought I would throw it out now to sow some seeds.

Yep

Because once we start it will be a knock down drag out till the death of someone.

If we can't take a city for whatever reason, burn every dam thing around it.

Starve em to death.

Ya, burn, rape and pillage as necessary.

Hopefully, we can burn out their back cities early and painlessly.

We might want to reserve our main strike and go in after the french. Let them suicide on them, then go in after and clean house. I think it will have to be played by ear, but our big strength is going to be in cav and grenadeers / trebs (cannon). Most of our D will be rifles. Post cannon and grenadeer, though, we need to max out our push to infantry, as that will give us the edge at the last couple of sieges (I hope) to bust though and end it.

I still think it would be useful to burn Mukata on the second turn of the war if we can. We should have enough units to do it without losing more than a few trebuchets. We'll have all rifles and cavalry and trebuchets. They can upgrade a few of their units (it would cost 420 gold to upgrade the two muskets and one of the longbows in Mukata), but once we're past those the going would be easy. We could also destroy perhaps up to a quarter or so of their military strength before they have the opportunity to build more rifles. With the French bearing down in the west they will be hurting.

From there we can go after Hapina or their capital and if we can't take it then we just pillage their tiles until we get more units built.

Once we have the ability to do the back end attack then they will really be hurting.

BTW, it will take 4 trebuchets to bombard the defenses of Mukata. We'll have 11 trebuchets and one catapult so that means 7 trebs and the catapult can attack the same turn the rest of the units attack.

BTW, it will take 4 trebuchets to bombard the defenses of Mukata. We'll have 11 trebuchets and one catapult so that means 7 trebs and the catapult can attack the same turn the rest of the units attack.

Ooooh. Nice. I was wondering how many it would take. And being able to attack on the same turn as we bombard is key. Using a second turn would give them time to load the city with defenders.

It will be interesting to see how they respond to that jungle tile 3-3 of Chasqui being roaded. No doubt Mentlegen will find out for us.

Ooooh. Nice. I was wondering how many it would take. And being able to attack on the same turn as we bombard is key. Using a second turn would give them time to load the city with defenders.

It will be interesting to see how they respond to that jungle tile 3-3 of Chasqui being roaded. No doubt Mentlegen will find out for us.

Nice that we can attack on the same turn. Is there anyway we can predict if we're going to win that and with how many losses?

Of course there is the RNG, but what's the number of units we bring to their doorstep that first turn?

Nice that we can attack on the same turn. Is there anyway we can predict if we're going to win that and with how many losses?

Of course there is the RNG, but what's the number of units we bring to their doorstep that first turn?

In the neighborhood of 10 rifles and 10 cavalry/elephants. Plus the siege units and a healer chariot.

I'm guessing we'll lose some trebs, but even if they get the Mukata reserve force over there our units will be better than their units.

Lets make pretty darn sure about Mukata before we attack.

One bad turn with the RNG, and we could be screwed.

Are we building more and more siege weapons to follow up this initial stack of Trebuchets?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0